• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

NTA-855-A front crank seal

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Doing the front seal on the above engine (CPL 1415, S/N 30345XXX). Dealer is useless for information so was hoping someone could help.

Looking for the torque spec for the front balancer bolts and the installation depth for the seal.

Also, I need to install a wear sleeve on the crank. Is there a special installer tool for the sleeve? I have the seal installer tool ready to go.

mekanik

Going from memory the bolt torque was 180 to 190 Ft-Lb. If you have the correct seal installer it pushes the seal in to the correct depth. I have never installed a wear sleeve on a Cummins 855 front crank. The seals are very tolerant of wear to the shaft.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
There's a step at the back of the seal bore but the seal was pushed out slightly past flush so wasn't sure if it goes back to the step or not.

Vent is clear.

RocketScott

The wear sleeve I got from PAI came with the installation tool, basically a steel cup

Make sure the seal you're using is designed for the wear sleeve. Not sure about the crank but some of the other seals come in with or without wear sleeve options

Truck Shop

The seal sets bottomed on the bore recessed about a 1/4", I also have never installed a
wear sleave. Torque is 200. You might want to change that damper while there, if it's
original which it probably is the inertia ring inside is stuck. If it stays cold after running
for a while it's toast. Should be 13.5" diameter.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Got it in. The tool P/N recommended by Cummins wasn't exactly correct. Did some measuring beforehand. Without the spacer it would press it in exactly where I found the original (1/16" sticking out past flush). The spacer in the installer kit would not work as the balancer bolts were too short to even thread into the crank. Had to cobble my own tool together to make it work and the seal now sits 1/4" recessed into the bore.