• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Not sure why we're having so many problems with DEF

Zewnten

Maintenance manager is frustrated with all the issues their having. Wanted to know if the last repair is warranty as we were just out there for the same machine and the same issue, umm no? I get many places also don't care about their fuel but really? I see it everywhere, bulk containers sitting in the sun, jugs being reused, dirty hoses, splash some water in it to desolve the crystals, etc.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 88

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Management seems to have some organizing problems. Maybe it was how they were taught. Maybe they listen to common sense, maybe not. Have seen the same kind of intelligence in too many places. Finally told one shop forman that he could not organize anything, and that I need to be given clear direction or be giving the direction. If everything is confused, maybe start to listen.
All the best to you. 40 Years on the job this month.
Simon C

HardRockNM

Occupation
Miner
Bulk containers in the sun is my pet peeve. I'm amazed we don't see more aftertreatment issues on the (admittedly small fraction of this fleet) equipment that uses it.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
All that's missing is a big funnel on the drum to more efficiently contaminate the def with rain water lol

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I’ve had issues with the guys leaving the jugs in their gang boxes during the hottest part of summer. Lord knows what the temp is in there. I’ve also tested some off brand DEF right out of the sealed container and it wasn’t even close to spec.

JD955SC

Hell I can’t even get the people that work on this stuff every day to understand that after you open the DEF jug it gets used immediately, fully, or remainder poured out. They always want to open the container use half of it, leave it on a workbench for a couple days and use the rest of it.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We have a bulk tank. At first it was used to refill jugs. That was a no no. Tank is inside the shop by the door in the cold weather, in a building with a roof in summer. It gets pumped directly into the truck or machine. DEF jugs are in their own box, kept in the oil shed. Fuel man carries them in the van. Once it is opened, it is tossed. 99% of our issues are caused by DEF quality. The hypocrisy of the whole thing is use the DEF for a cleaner engine, but don't have a system in place to recycle the plastic containers.

Shimmy1

We have a bulk tank. At first it was used to refill jugs. That was a no no. Tank is inside the shop by the door in the cold weather, in a building with a roof in summer. It gets pumped directly into the truck or machine. DEF jugs are in their own box, kept in the oil shed. Fuel man carries them in the van. Once it is opened, it is tossed. 99% of our issues are caused by DEF quality. The hypocrisy of the whole thing is use the DEF for a cleaner engine, but don't have a system in place to recycle the plastic containers.
So, what kind of jugs were you refilling? The single use ones from the truck stop, or something else? I use a kerosene jug. I leave a half gallon or so in it, the night before I'm going to fill it I dump that little bit out and look at it. Never has the crystals, jug is always closed with the spout inside the jug. When I fill it, I clean the nozzle at the pump really well, and wrap the spout for the jug in a towel as I'm filling. I'm the only one that messes with the DEF.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I will say those DEF jugs work great for coolant and the bendy spout makes it a breeze to refill or top off a rad. Used to carry a full one in the service truck all the time. I would just top it off from the bulk reel at the shop as needed.

Shimmy1

I will say those DEF jugs work great for coolant and the bendy spout makes it a breeze to refill or top off a rad. Used to carry a full one in the service truck all the time. I would just top it off from the bulk reel at the shop as needed.
Now here's something useful.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
So, what kind of jugs were you refilling? The single use ones from the truck stop, or something else? I use a kerosene jug. I leave a half gallon or so in it, the night before I'm going to fill it I dump that little bit out and look at it. Never has the crystals, jug is always closed with the spout inside the jug. When I fill it, I clean the nozzle at the pump really well, and wrap the spout for the jug in a towel as I'm filling. I'm the only one that messes with the DEF.
They just refilled the DEF jugs. For the amount of time and the money spent for down time on DEF machines, it just made sense to go with buying filled jugs by the skid. Very few issues since. Your method might work well, but here, most of the operators don't run the same machine all the time, and not all company machines are DEF. I suppose the fuel man could carry jugs like yours in the fuel van, but the higher ups just decided not to take the risk and not refill any jugs.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Last time I saw my uncle he was showing me what a PITA it was with the DEF. Bought it by the 55 gal drum and left it tucked away in the garage out of the heat and cold.

His advice to me if I ever wanted to get into the game was buy new, buy as much warranty as you can, forge a good relationship with the dealer and replace the truck at 4 years before the warranty was up lol.

Last edited:

Shimmy1

They just refilled the DEF jugs. For the amount of time and the money spent for down time on DEF machines, it just made sense to go with buying filled jugs by the skid. Very few issues since. Your method might work well, but here, most of the operators don't run the same machine all the time, and not all company machines are DEF. I suppose the fuel man could carry jugs like yours in the fuel van, but the higher ups just decided not to take the risk and not refill any jugs.
Yeah, the major problem with reusing a DEF jug is that stupid bendy spout. Unless you flush it with distilled water, it's going to be full of crustys.

How about DEF totes? Or, a stainless purpose-built DEF tank on the service truck or fuel trailer? I know of quite a few farmers around here that use them, and fill from the truck stop. Haven't heard of any issues from these guys yet?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Yeah, the major problem with reusing a DEF jug is that stupid bendy spout. Unless you flush it with distilled water, it's going to be full of crustys.

How about DEF totes? Or, a stainless purpose-built DEF tank on the service truck or fuel trailer? I know of quite a few farmers around here that use them, and fill from the truck stop. Haven't heard of any issues from these guys yet?
Our fuel truck is a one ton cube van with a tank in the back. Be no room for a bulk DEF tank. Trucks all top up at the shop. Plant loader as well. I think the crusher has one of those plastic totes in a cage. Other than that, as long a Robert keeps half a dozen jugs in the van, it's enough. Besides the plant loader, I think only 2 others that are not at the crusher use DEF. The 2 DPF loaders seemed to delete their regen systems somehow. Probably the same computer virus as a lot of the trucks once the warranty was done. I think only one or 2 of the Linkbelts are DEF, My new Mauldin grader has DEF, the other 3 don't. The D4, the others are too old. My Volvo grader is too old. I imagine as the new stuff comes, they will have to come up with a better system

cfherrman

I've used the jugs for used oil to pour on stuff to lube like chains, rods, and pipe. Works good.

I might keep the next one for coolant that sounds like a good idea.

The truck I'm driving is the only def truck and I think a weight reduction kit is going to be installed soon.

Old Doug

Last time I saw my uncle he was showing me what a PITA it was with the DEF. Bought it by the 55 gal drum and left it tucked away in the garage out of the heat and cold.

His advice to me if I ever wanted to get into the game was buy new, buy as much warranty as you can, forge a good relationship with the dealer and replace the truck at 4 years before the warranty was up lol.
Make for sure they have a loaner truck and have there own wrecker.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Hell I can’t even get the people that work on this stuff every day to understand that after you open the DEF jug it gets used immediately, fully, or remainder poured out. They always want to open the container use half of it, leave it on a workbench for a couple days and use the rest of it.

That's our philosophy. Use all the jug or pour it out.

When my personal truck's DEF gauge reads a little shy of 3/4 full it will take one jug. At the moment we only have 2 DEF machines in the field and 3 DEF pickups so the jugs work for us now.