• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Not sure on this D6T issue

Vetech63

Just getting back to this machine. Supply pressure is within specs. ………….stay tuned. I am suspecting leakage in the high pressure side of the fuel system. Machine has 7988 hours and no record of any engine fuel system repairs or replacement.

newguy2k3

Occupation
Cat field tech
If it only does it when it's cold and only for the first few minutes it's probably stiction in the injectors. You can use et to cut out cylinders and see which ones are dead on startup or try hotshot secret or one of the other anti stiction additives in the engine oil.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Feel free to call me crazy, but my similarly houred 2006 6R with C9 had exactly the same issue. Worse actually. CAT and I went round and round and round on it for years, and got nowhere. However, what was clear was the computer retarded the fuel at cold start to protect the engine for the first few minutes. Sounded like crap, and made obvious knocking and missing sounds, but CAT insisted it was a feature, not a bug. I have a long thread on this site about it.

newguy2k3

Occupation
Cat field tech
In cold mode the ECM keeps the injector actuation pressure lower so that's less pressure to move sticky injectors. You can usually figure out which ones are likely dead on cold start with a solenoid test in Et. It may show good but if they don't have an audible click they're likely gummed up. Or crank it up and cut out individual cylinders to find them.

The series 2 6r did seem to be a little tougher running engine than the later ones. The decelerator is especially touchy on them.

greasynails

Pull the radiator cap when cold before starting and let us know if there's any diesel floating on top

Vetech63

UPDATE*. After my last post I had enquired with CAT field service to schedule an ET hook-up. At that time they were 2 weeks out so I moved on to other repairs around the area, and the customer elected to continue to run the machine until Cat showed up or it quit. Field service was supposed to contact me when they were heading to the dozer so I went on about my business, got through many jobs, pretty much forgetting this machine until I am notified. The owner calls me late last week and asked me whats going on with this machine. After a few questions I realized CAT never called or showed up and neither of us were ever notified of anything.
So, I called Cat field service again Monday and asked for a field tech with ET on this same machine...……...He had him there the next day (Think they knew they screwed up). He has been there 2 days straight and has come up with the following (by phone)

1. All engine fuel system checks are within operating parameters. (ALL the tests performed)
2. 2 service error codes will NOT clear ( he told me over the phone but I didn't write them down)
3. The diagnostics ran for those codes are not reading all the parameters correctly.
4. With all tests run, nothing is evident at this time to pinpoint a fault.
5. 1 of the 2 codes is basically saying (eminent ECM failure).

ECM is $2400.00, but I was told we could go ahead and run the machine until it failed if we wanted because it wouldnt damage anything else and the cost would be no different. I am waiting on the owner to make a decision.
No wonder I was having trouble figuring this out. It doesn't look like they are having any better luck.

Stay tuned.

newguy2k3

Occupation
Cat field tech
I'm curious to know what those codes are. Sounds odd for an ECM failure but I just saw one fail in a new way last week.

If it needs an ECM I hope they saved an ECM replacement file while they were there. In the even the ECM just dies they'll have all the settings, totals, trim codes and timing calibration to load directly into the new one without having to pull the valve cover and calibrate the timing.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I'd also love to know what Codes they came up against.

Changing tack a little (sorry). Somebody help me out here. When you pull an ECM Replacement File using ET for a 3512C HD engine equipped with an ADEM 3 ECM does it contain the Timing Calibration..?
I had a dealer guy telling me the other day that it doesn't. I could have sworn it pulled everything including FLS/FTS settings, injector Trim Codes, etc.

newguy2k3

Occupation
Cat field tech
I'd also love to know what Codes they came up against.

Changing tack a little (sorry). Somebody help me out here. When you pull an ECM Replacement File using ET for a 3512C HD engine equipped with an ADEM 3 ECM does it contain the Timing Calibration..?
I had a dealer guy telling me the other day that it doesn't. I could have sworn it pulled everything including FLS/FTS settings, injector Trim Codes, etc.

Most of the time they do but I want to say there have been a few engines that haven't for me. Could also be that they were only copying configuration vs making an actual ECM replacement file. Opened the file on the one I did the other day and it had some text/code for timing offset

Vetech63

Tech texted me the codes:
1250-9

He said both of the above are active, and the "service code" staying on is an event code logged. He said that he needed a factory reset password to remove a E198 stored code that is not active but will not clear.

newguy2k3

Occupation
Cat field tech
Tech texted me the codes:
1250-9

He said both of the above are active, and the "service code" staying on is an event code logged. He said that he needed a factory reset password to remove a E198 stored code that is not active but will not clear.
268 is incorrect parameter. Very well could be the ecm failing. Sometimes the internal battery or something fails and they lose the fls/FTS settings and won't record hours on faults. That can set that code.
1250 is for the product link, disregard. 198 is low fuel pressure if I remember right. If that's active it could definitely be the, or part of the problem. If he needed passwords to clear it was a level 2. If it's actually active the fuel indicator on the dash should be on.

Nige

CID 268 could be something as stupid an a missing value for an injector E-Trim file. But you're right, if the ECM is starting to crack up internally it could have lost something in the Configuration File, or even the basic operating system. I've seen this before a few times and often it was fixed simply by flashing the ECM with the same Part Number of software that's already in it.

E198 Events can often be logged after a fuel filter replacement, but generally only a Level 1.
An E198 Level 2 Event would also cause an engine derate.
I would be surprised if E198 required factory passwords to clear, but then again I've been surprised before.

Vetech63

Sounds like the tech was on the right track then. The customer has elected to continue to run the machine until an eminent failure occurs.

Nige

TBH I would not be confident of extracting an ECM Replacement file from the currently-installed ECM for fear that whatever bit of data that is either corrupt or missing right now and causing the problems might transfer over the the replacement ECM and make it behave the same way.
I WOULD, however, make a "Copy Configuration" file to keep safe so that if the ECM had to be replaced at some future date then at least most if not all the Configuration Settings could be manually programmed into the replacement ECM at the time of installation.
New ECM's are great (if a tad pricey) - because a new one is blank you get one "free" attempt to enter parameters into it without requiring Factory Passwords to do it.

newguy2k3

Occupation
Cat field tech
Copy configuration really isn't all that on a d6t. There are few settings that you really need to set. On a truck or industrial engine yes but not a bulldozer. What I absolutely would do is take a screenshot or somehow record the injector trim codes. Copy configuration won't do that.