• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Not again.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Being that that's not far from me, I've been following that story.

The later news stories detail the fact that the city condemned both houses, and contracted the company to demo them both, but on Nov. 3 notified them to not demo the one. The guy in charge forgot, and they both came down. The company spokesman commented that if there had been a building permit posted, his crew might've noticed that and questioned whether they were to take it down or not. I find that a reasonable comment, and the fact is that the owner had not applied for said permit. Stupid mistake, still.

I do have a bit of a problem with how the story has been reported though. Not every house is a "home". In the context of the sentence, "A Pittsburgh man's home has been leveled after city officials say a contractor mistakenly demolished it along with a neighboring house", the inference is that the guy lost his furniture and clothes, and all his other belongings. (Especially since the second structure is referred to as simply a "house".) That wasn't the case. He lost a house he'd been working on. In this instance, that's an important distinction. Somebody who reports the news for a living should be able to make that distinction.

I have a feeling that by the time it's said and done, Mr. Hall will make out on the deal.

Google Maps Street View of both houses:

Attachments

• 3224 motor st resized.jpg
    3224 motor st resized.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,138

Hendrik

I do have a bit of a problem with how the story has been reported though. Not every house is a "home". In the context of the sentence, "A Pittsburgh man's home has been leveled after city officials say a contractor mistakenly demolished it along with a neighboring house", the inference is that the guy lost his furniture and clothes, and all his other belongings. (Especially since the second structure is referred to as simply a "house".) That wasn't the case. He lost a house he'd been working on. In this instance, that's an important distinction. Somebody who reports the news for a living should be able to make that distinction.
Sure but reporters just about always jazz up a story to get readers attention, sort of like "Grandmother dies in horror crash on notorious stretch of Highway of death", which should read "Elderly woman killed in car accident. Local police have confirmed that there have been a number of accidents on that part of the road."
Question is which would grab peoples attention and make them read the story?

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
how about dozer falls off trailer then you see pictures and its a skid steer thats on its side