1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Nose cone for starter conversion

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by frankieavalanche, Jul 6, 2022.

1. frankieavalanche

frankieavalanche Active Member

Looking for a nose cone for a delco 24 volt starter for a 1957 Caterpillar 955
    I see videos of grinding a new one to fit but I am afraid there is not much strength left and could not end well for the starter and flywheel if It broke.

2. d9gdon

d9gdon Senior Member

Mine has a factory 24v early style Delco 40MT starter on it with remote mount solenoid, but it's an inertia starter and is hard to find.

I searched acmoc.org and here is Old Magnet's reply to someone wanting the same information:

"First things first....
    How much clearance do you have for a solenoid mounted starter?
    I know it's been done on the 955 but I seem to remember clearance issues.

The for sure fit is the original inertia type starter but they can be hard to come by. These have a remote mounted solenoid and are 24V.

To do the conversion the 42MT starter takes the least room. It needs to be a right hand mount version, clockwise rotation. No matter which starter you get you most likely will throw away the straight tooth drive and drive end housing to be replaced by a 11 tooth RH helix version and Delco #1988748 drive end housing."

You may have to index or clock the nose cone to make the solenoid fit in that space, and may have to locate it on the bottom side.

3. Old Magnet

Old Magnet Senior Member

Along with the 1988748 drive end housing and helical drive gear the best fit is with a 12 hole lever housing on the 42MT (10476030). Assemble with a 5/8x 1-3/4 button head cap screw in the hole that is almost covered by the solenoid mount...(uses a 3/8" extend reach ball end allen drive) This combination allows the solenoid to stay in the vertical direction and just clears the pony clutch housing and frame.

Tinkerer likes this.
  4. d9gdon

d9gdon Senior Member

Good info for me too...

5. frankieavalanche

frankieavalanche Active Member

Hey thanks guys for reaching out
    I got some information now .
    I can always count on Old Magnet that's to everyone.
    I will post an update on how I am making out I got leads to follow now