1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Non traditional excavator uses....

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by millercross3, Feb 19, 2013.

1. millercross3

millercross3 Well-Known Member

Traditional Farm/Ranching...Trucking/Construction
    That really raises the pucker factor. Definately probably takes the cake.

2. StumpyWally

StumpyWally Senior Member

PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
    Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
    I built a work platform around the ditching bucket & I used it to lift materials & me for a roofing project on my house. Of course it works better when I have a separate operator...sometimes my son or my wife. I really need a remote control, hmmm....

Platform 001.jpg Platform 002.JPG Platform 003.JPG Platform 004.JPG

3. roadbuilder6

roadbuilder6 Well-Known Member

That looks awesome! I have one for my jd2320

4. ben46a

ben46a Senior Member

Looks handy, but I would have cylinder lock valves in case a hose blows while your up there.

5. millercross3

Looks real nice like....the wood part perhaps scetchy...I'd feel a whole lot safer with steel, plus once you got your harness on and tethered to the rail and if you should happen to slip and fall you wouldn't have to worry about the 2x4 or 6 thumpin' you on the head after you hit the ground:tong

6. millercross3

You also have the highest mobile bar b que deck in the neighborhood:drinkup

7. millercross3

If a person could mount one of those electric or gas powered hydraulic scissor style man lifts....HO----LAY could you get some crazy reach:eek: OSHA/EMSHA approved of course

8. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

9. AntonioRocha

AntonioRocha Well-Known Member

10. AntonioRocha

AntonioRocha Well-Known Member

11. DennisZ

DennisZ Active Member

Back in the days I used our wheeled excavator to unload wrapped square bales of haylage of a trailer. Loaded them in the field with a JCB 530B tele handler with a hydraulic clamp. When the trailer was full I would unhook the clamp and leave it on the last bale on top. Made an adaptor for the excavator so that I could pick up the clamp and unload the bales at home.

We used to use the excavator to repair our roof on our house too, tied a triple ladder with a couple of ropes to the bucket. I would usually sit on the bucket and my father would then maneuver the excavator to the spot were the wind had blown off some of the tiles. Laid the ladder flat on the roof and I could walk up with some new ones.

Also when we build our new barn, we transformed our jib to a plate mover:
    2014-08-31 15.10.00.jpg