• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Non traditional excavator uses....

millercross3

Occupation
Traditional Farm/Ranching...Trucking/Construction
That first guy should have stuck his arm through the loop up to his elbow, heck even his head. Then he was sure to stay on. That looked pretty scetchy from the get go. Nothing like being impaled with a
3" branch or cracking some rocks with your back. All that probably happens way more than a person knows about. Just can't figure our why so many young folk have to be fed through a feeding tube for the rest of their lives:tong

millercross3

Occupation
Hmmm...long reach hoe...... thick cable on a hydraulic spool..... and go snaggin' for whale. Now there's a good you tube video thought

mitch504

Hmm, all these tasks seem pretty normal to me :beatsme. I wouldn't do the pile-driving thing, but I've surely seen it done.

My brother once tried the swing thing, not as a young idiot, but as a forty-something y/o shop foreman (idiot). He said before the hoe made a full turn he started screaming for the operator to stop, but the operator couldn't hear him and made several full revolutions, while on top of a 50' coal stockpile! My brother said it was the most terrifying thing he ever did, the centrifugal force was incredible!

One of the more unusual things I've done:
100_1292 (Small).JPG

Not actually an excavator, but a hoe nonetheless, placing pipe a few miles offshore in the Atlantic ocean.
100_1233 (Small).JPG

millercross3

Occupation
I like the life vest...for the just in case moment. If he would go over, he'd get knocked out first and then the vest would bring him up. Where's your vest mitch:D

mitch504

Miller, did you mean a "just in case moment", or a "just in Case moment"?:D

You mentioning the life vest reminded me, before we left to go out to the reef, the owner of the tugboat company wanted me to remove the rops from my tractor so I wouldn't be trapped if it did go over, and director of fisheries stopped me to insist I wear my seatbelt. I refused to do either.

KYLE CEM

Check out this link: http://youtu.be/YaY5goxq-z0

Watch these Vacuum lifters- these are so cool! it takes about a minute to get through the pictures before you see the video of the units lifting. The are unreal. The use them in Fort McMurray's oil sands for loading and unloading pipe. Other uses are for lifting jersey barriers, concrete slab, - really, really neat- They will lift small diameter pipe all the way up to 72" diameter up to 44,000 lbs. sooooooo coool- I love selling these babies!

KYLE CEM

Has anyone ever used sheet pile drivers? they look like cool attachments too! I have seen guys use hoe pac's for this, but I seen demonstration videos of these. They look very cool!

millercross3

Occupation
Old girlfriend had about that much suction, golf ball through a garden hose,:notworthy
Niffty thing as long as it works good. Till you hear a spit and a sputter of the compressor motor and you better scatter like cockroaches, cuz that baby is gonna make for a bad day

millercross3

Occupation
that's quite the kitty in a tree rescue unit there justafarmer. that looks awfully handy for a whole mess load of tasks. just hope the guy runnin' the controls didn't have too much coffee or a pesky sweat bee isn't harassing him.

justafarmer

bought the basket from a ritchie sale for $50. The basket is on a pivot with a disk brake so it self levels until you are in position, then you can apply the brake to lock it out. We built the jib boom.

maddog

logging, pulling an engine, mowing, snow removal{slow but worked**, splitting wood, and now I see wood processors, pulling machines out of muck.

millercross3

Occupation
Holy G-whiskers! That thing is hopped up on crack and steroids. Must be nice to have straight trees though. That thing wouldn't work on our elm, ash and other various trees up here. It would sure make fast work in a short order. I wonder how many campfire budles it would take to pay for that thing. :drinkup