• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Non traditional excavator uses....

millercross3

Occupation
Traditional Farm/Ranching...Trucking/Construction
Sure they are good for dirt, holes and rocks, but curious if anybody has some non traditional, more than likely not OSHA/EMSHA approved, uses with their trackhoes. Of course pictures would be great. I was thinking that they'd work good for putting rafters up on a shop.
Later
AM

bigshow

I've seen a crane jib retro-fitted to a quick coupler on an excavator and used to swing trusses for houses. Where I work, we have swung miles of 20' jersey barrier with wheeled and tracked excavators.

Permafrost-ed

Ive seen a couple turned into giant conveyor belts. Boom and counterweight removed and a long conveyor added that can move around, turn and raise up and down easily. Really cool stuff. One was on a 450 sized machine with 2 60' belts (one feeding the other). Painted up really nice, looked factory done. Moved dirt like crazy and could keep up to three excavators throwing dirt at it. I must have a pic around here somewhere.....

lowbed driver

Used a Cat 305 to install structural steel as well as Bobcat 430.
With the Cat 305 the two main beams were 20-30 ft long and a few feet off of the ground. We then place smaller cross members in every 6ft or so. Bolted everything up and placed some grating.
I have used them to install short/small columns as well. Those machines are good for a project that is no higher then 10ft or so.

Cheers Stew

bigshow

We've got mill heads for a few different hoes, I've seen big saws, vibratory pile hammers, and drill attachments. Also seen a 325 power the dump cycle on a drum for a concrete batch plant, the fella i bought my 1085 from had a manbasket that fit the quick coupler. Sky's the limit nowadays, your imagination and shallow pockets are the only boundaries. Here's a link for a jib set-up- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...05243.57215.244696302233559&type=1&permPage=1

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Non traditional eh, probably the one that makes me shake my head is watching someone drive H pile with an excavator, with one whack of the bucket at a time. :badidea

millercross3

Occupation
Non traditional eh, probably the one that makes me shake my head is watching someone drive H pile with an excavator, with one whack of the bucket at a time. :badidea
Either boss wasn't looking or boss had already figured some damages in on the bid. Some peoples kids:beatsme

millercross3

Occupation
neighbors used theirs to load manure when nothing else could get at it
That would come in kinda handy. I've wondered about unloading bales off the semi when fall hay hauling. A person could stack 5 or 6 high in the hay yard:cool:

millercross3

Occupation
When the loggers use the hydraulic chain saw attachments on the hoe, do they need to be sharpened as often as a hand held one or do they pretty much just force the chain until it just needs to be replaced? Do they operate on way more rpm's than a hand held also?

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
I used a Hitachi 150 to set trusses. Chained a big long beam to the bucket to get extra reach. Worked really slick. Don't have any pictures of that operation... Then some years ago we needed to change the transmission in a helicopter out in the middle of nowhere and they had this 330 Cat there that worked exceptionally well for the job! That I do have some pictures of!:D

Attachments

• IM004811 (Small).JPG
    IM004811 (Small).JPG
    61 KB · Views: 2,604
  • IM004826 (Small).JPG
    IM004826 (Small).JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 2,592

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Either boss wasn't looking or boss had already figured some damages in on the bid. Some peoples kids:beatsme

Or a rental. FYI a engineer thinks a 80k hoe will push a 18' 8" H beam in like butter.... I know after beating 10 of them in you will bend a HD demo bucket 1/2"

PhilDirt

Just FYI... was trying to push 6" well casing in the ground for gate posts with my track loader. It would only go a few feet and stop, dropping the bucket on it didn't help much. I filled the bucket with dirt and it went in like butter.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Just FYI... was trying to push 6" well casing in the ground for gate posts with my track loader. It would only go a few feet and stop, dropping the bucket on it didn't help much. I filled the bucket with dirt and it went in like butter.

I was referring more to "bone head" pile driving PhilDirt, watching an operator lift the bucket ten feet from the H pile, then drop the bucket on it full tilt, bouncing the machine something fierce, just to lift the bucket and do it again. Just damn.

PhilDirt

I was referring more to "bone head" pile driving PhilDirt, watching an operator lift the bucket ten feet from the H pile, then drop the bucket on it full tilt, bouncing the machine something fierce, just to lift the bucket and do it again. Just damn.

Yeooow - How many can you do before the machine is scrap!