• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Nobody talks about lifts

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I did talk to Gehl a while ago. They gave me the number of a dealer they like to work with for service issues. I talked to the service manager at that dealership and he said they had been selling about 10-15 of these machines per year. He said they have never had one come back for anything other than basic issues (mostly maintainence issues). So i guess thats a good sign!

:thumbsup

barklee

Hey speedpup i was reading an old thread, are you a mason? Reason i ask is we do masonry restoration and some new masonry. Hows work in your area? Are you over by NYC or toward PA and Ohio? In our area there doesnt seem like there is much to do!! Restoration work is slow too. Work is going cheap unless its some screwed up huge liability job (which is the only thing we have to do). We dont really do residential work but i know those guys are really hurting right now. Only masons working residential are the ones with a bullet proof reputation. Are there a lot of clueless masons in your area? I usually sub any brick work over around 5000 brick, and i have had nothing but troble with every mason i have subbed to. The incline in residental work these last several years has allowed any tom **** and harry to get work, and not even half of them know what they are doing! Seems like if you put most of these guys on commercial work there heads spin because they have a hard time laying brick to a line let alone reading a print and installing drainage, waterproofing, and anything besides a corregated wall tie. Thats just what it seems like around here, wondered if its that way all over

Speedpup

Occupation
Hey speedpup i was reading an old thread, are you a mason? Reason i ask is we do masonry restoration and some new masonry. Hows work in your area? Are you over by NYC or toward PA and Ohio? In our area there doesnt seem like there is much to do!! Restoration work is slow too. Work is going cheap unless its some screwed up huge liability job (which is the only thing we have to do). We dont really do residential work but i know those guys are really hurting right now. Only masons working residential are the ones with a bullet proof reputation. Are there a lot of clueless masons in your area? I usually sub any brick work over around 5000 brick, and i have had nothing but troble with every mason i have subbed to. The incline in residental work these last several years has allowed any tom **** and harry to get work, and not even half of them know what they are doing! Seems like if you put most of these guys on commercial work there heads spin because they have a hard time laying brick to a line let alone reading a print and installing drainage, waterproofing, and anything besides a corregated wall tie. Thats just what it seems like around here, wondered if its that way all over

To some it up in two words for every aspect of the trade "It's over!":( I could not even call 99.99% them clueless it would be to high of a rating. I have 40 years in the trade as a bricklayer and 35 as a contractor. I am on Long Island / NYC area. I just do commercial work 99.9% of the time. Here a guy put up a wall about 55 feet long 6 feet high with two no joke, two wall ties. I guess they don't even know what a wall tie is now!

I started as a bricklayer in the union serving my apprenticeship 70-74. Then started my business doing residential 75-77. Then started my business as a union masonry contractor in 1978 doing commercial work. I have had from 0-85 employees.

In 99 I got so sick of fighting everything I mothballed my company and parked everything in my yard. I got a good offer and tried it. I ran all the outside masonry operations of a company with 350 employees at times. I got a great offer to do it. It was the biggest masonry contractor in the world at one time before it was sold and split in two. The original owner had a world famous daughter and did many famous masonry projects.

My employees said try it you can always quit so off we all went. I went first and let the last 5 of my guys finish up my work before joining me. I was getting 110,000 in 1999, car, benefits and supposedly 20% of the profit on a company that has done 10-15+ million in masonry a year. We did one school where the masonry was 6 million in 1999 when I was their. They were bidding on a single project worth over 30 million when I left.

I figured the percentages backwards and thought even a small percentage of that would be great with no hassles. After a year + I slammed my hard hat into the concrete and split back to my own insanity. Didn't get paid for some of the Lull rentals I gave the company for 9 months. Yes, the once proud trade is gone!

Anytime you want to bounce ideas off me feel free to it is fun to exchange ideas on bidding or anything else.

Last edited:

barklee

Wow!!!!!! I had no idea you had that kind of experience! I am just a little guy with anywhere from 5-20 men working. But i guess a restoration guy doesnt need too many guys. Who did you work for that was getting that kind of work done? Yes, i will definitly ask you if i run into something!
I have a similar story about wall ties....Last year we did a job tearing all the verneer off of a building built in 1988. It had more wall ties but not many! They used brite corregated house ties and just about every one was rusted through! The building was originally a large general contractors office and i think they laid it! Most of the walls pulled down in one huge chunk (ie, 75' long sections by 15' tall). The structural engineer nearly fell over watching this. When we tore them down there was hundreds of gallons of water trapped in the walls and the block back up. It was about 30,000brick and 5,000 block and about 2 semi loads of limestone.
My grandfather started our buisness in the late 30's and went bankrupt twice doing work for large corperations and not getting paid (doing work on a handshake). I know he would be rolling in his grave to see the state of the trade today! i am sorry to say but the only companies doing good quality work today are the unions. Sad thing is most of those guys will be retiring fairly soon and there is few to replace them that have a clue! Most of the guys now days are punks that think they know what they are doing because they watched somebody do it and have never done it themselves. There is no pride anymore in what you DO for a living. These guys make a crazy wage to know about half of what they think they know and they have nothing to show for it! I think i run a babysitting service most days. I could go on all day about that!
I had two guys from Long island come to Ohio to demo a machine i have a few years ago. Looked for there buisness card but couldnt find it. The guys name was Chaz Mitrani and his partner was a mason, he said he was from Poland. Anyway they said they worked in the Hamptons mostly doing high end residental work. They were very nice guys, wondered if you knew them?

Speedpup

Occupation
It is never how many men you have it is about what you keep in your pocket in the end.:D I watch some people do huge jobs like 3-7 million only to lose 300,000 to 750,000 out of pocket :eek::eek::eek: I told one guy you see the loose brick on the stoop across the street? He said yes, I said if you didn't do the $7,000,000 job and stuck that on missing brick for 50 cents you would be $750,000.50 ahead of where you are now. You also would be done in minutes not a year. They couldn't even speak,:)

I know a little about restoration and masonry failures. Some from repairs and some from reading over the years. When I was an apprentice I took a course with NY Historical Society. I almost went into restoration.

There used to be so many great masons around when I started in business. I told them do this and never looked back at many of them. Now I have to baby sit 90% of them constantly. The only good thing is they all know I can take the trowel or shovel out of their hand and show them. I show them the way and then tell them why it is better or faster. I also am open to their methods and knowledge for sure. I love to teach people everything I know. Sad part is none want to learn, none would stay 30 minutes a night or in the morning to learn to be a foreman.

I would spend time showing people why I do this or that on a job or plan reading in the morning or even math but they never give a dam. When I started I would be in a hour early looking at the plans and asking questions to learn. Even now I watch the competition to learn new ideas and ask employees how would XYZ do this or that to learn new methods.

I always wanted to start a forum for masonry contractors to discuss work in the field, equipment, and business problems.

I found a old alarm clock from the original company name I worked for on ebay and paid just near 400 for it, Still works but the cord is shot and bare in some spots. Hint who was a actress and then a Princess? ;) They had an arguably world famous slogan too.

The job I am just finishing will need a huge restoration in less than 10 years!:eek: I wrote letters and took 2,000+ photo graphs to protect myself.

Have any other pictures from when you grandfather was doing the work? I love old pictures and masonry books. I have some old slides I took off pictures where the bricklayers were working in white shirt, tie, vest, top coat and a derby. I remember my father going out the door to work in a white shirt, tie, and hat. Now idiots have more mortar on themselves than the wall.

Last edited:

barklee

Well, you have given me some education for the day.... Grace Kelly? John Kelly? I couldnt find the company name so i guess Kelly masonry? We do have some old pics i will try to scan them in if i can get them from my grandma without losing any fingers?

Speedpup

Occupation
Well, you have given me some education for the day.... Grace Kelly? John Kelly? I couldnt find the company name so i guess Kelly masonry? We do have some old pics i will try to scan them in if i can get them from my grandma without losing any fingers?

yep J B Kelly / Kelly for brick work!:drinkup Just found today by googling they wrote a book about him.

There are some real cool J B Kelly bookends made of pewter and statue of their logo which is a mason tender carrying a hod. They sold for 250 in a n auction last year. I would have paid way way more.:(

Can't find them at the moment. I also have some pictures of Jones Beach Water tower restoration that is going on now. It was a 6 million dollar restoration contract which started at 3 million.

Last edited:

Speedpup

Occupation
Jones Beach Tower Set for Restoration

By LINDA SASLOW
Published: May 18, 2008

JONES BEACH
Skip to next paragraph
In the Region
Long Island, Westchester, Connecticut and New Jersey
Go to Complete Coverage »

FOR 78 years, the Jones Beach water tower has been a Long Island landmark — standing 231 feet high in the center of a landscaped traffic circle at the approach to Jones Beach along the Wantagh Parkway and visible to beachgoers from miles away.

But the brick and limestone tower, which houses a 315,000-gallon tank to store water from three 1,000-foot-deep wells, is deteriorating.

George Gorman, deputy director for the Long Island region of the State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, said there are cracks in the bricks — some small, others 20 feet long. The tower has been barricaded by a fence and scaffolding since 2002 to protect employees, he said.

“An indentation on one side of the bricks looks as if something hit into it, and the steel frame that supports the tank is falling apart,” Mr. Gorman said.

Now, thanks to $3.2 million appropriated by the State Legislature, the water tower will get a face-lift, beginning this summer, which is expected to take from 18 months to two years. The money is part of $130 million in the state budget for repairs, maintenance and upgrades at state parks. Of the total, Long Island received $28 million.

Carol Ash, the state parks commissioner, said that this is the most money the parks have ever received for repairs and maintenance, and that projects were planned at every park. In choosing the projects, the first priorities were health and safety, she said.

“Our state parks have been hurting from an infrastructure point of view for a long time,” Ms. Ash said. “These projects are vital to keep the parks in working order and for the public to be able to enjoy all that they have to offer.”

Built in 1930, the water tower was modeled on the campanile of St. Mark’s Cathedral in Venice and supervised by Robert Moses, then the president of the Long Island State Parks Commission. In the center of a traffic circle that Mr. Moses planned as a terminus for the Wantagh State Parkway, he ordered the construction of an Italianate-style tower to serve as a central feature of the park.

The tower, which has never been open to the public, supplies the water for the entire park, including the Jones Beach Theater, swimming pools, restrooms and bathhouses.

The money earmarked for the tower will be used to replace its copper roof, the structural steel framing and portions of the brick and limestone. Work will be done by Minelli Construction, of Islandia. The work at Jones Beach also includes repairing the two-mile boardwalk, lighting the two softball fields and upgrading one restroom.

Jones Beach State Park, in the hamlet of Wantagh, was named after Maj. Thomas Jones of Massapequa, a Long Island landowner in the early 1700s. The park includes 10 miles of beaches, an outdoor theater, two pools, four basketball courts, a four-mile bike path, four fishing piers and 22 shuffleboard courts. More than eight million people a year visit the park.

State Senator Charles J. Fuschillo Jr., whose district includes Jones Beach, said that while it was a challenge to secure the money during such difficult economic times, “it was critical to preserve the historical nature of the Jones Beach water tower.”

“The bricks are literally falling down,” he said. “If we don’t restore it, the tower will fall apart.”

BS posting but a picture of the tower. scroll down a bit.http://www.fastlsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1342189366

copied tower http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1829736

Last edited:

barklee

That would be a nice job. Wish it was a little farther west! Do you know what the scope of work is?

Speedpup

Occupation
That would be a nice job. Wish it was a little farther west! Do you know what the scope of work is?

When I get a chance I'll post pic's. From what I heard from and engineer who helped do the inspection the original water tank is fine. The steel frame inside holding the tank had huge holes in the steel beams. The had to be replaced. he lifted the copper top off with a crane and set it on the ground. They have done some various brick removals here and there. The they took some corners down for a good height. Now they have removed a good deal of brick on the top in areas. They also took down the decorative limestone pieces which are fairly big when the are on the ground. They are using elevating scaffolds around it and pipe scaffold on the bottom stone work which is 5-6 frames high, I want to stop and BS but no clue how they would appreciate it. Very interesting project to do requiring some good experienced moves on the contractors parts. I would love to work on it.:D

The tank gets the cold water pumped up in it casing condensation and dripping. Then the idiots never cleaned the bottom drains at the base of the tower so it was constantly flooded leading to more condensation and corrosion of the steel. I heard from the engineer it was really in scary condition.

Some guy a few years ago took his new Jag and did 120+ mph into the base of the tower. He went right up the stairs at the base:eek: I was driving by (nearly stopped) and looking at the pile of debris. There were two cops staring at the pile. I thought some brick or stone had fallen. I did not know until I watched the news what it really was a suicide. He's dead and some else is with her anyway sad he was so depressed and did that.

When they really got into the job it went from 3 to 6 million!

john

barklee

thats quite the change order! i would love the extra work but hate to tell the owner... Any idea who did the job? i dont know why but i am always curious whos doing what

Speedpup

Occupation
thats quite the change order! i would love the extra work but hate to tell the owner... Any idea who did the job? i dont know why but i am always curious whos doing what

Micelli

aerolift

Electric fuel pumps

Anybody else using electric fuel transfer pumps to replace the mechanical one when it fails? I've done it a dozen times (all on different units) and never had to replace it again. I have often wondered why they are not standard equipment on new equipment. They prove their worth in reliablity and are super handy when priming the fuel system. ISZ?

barklee

Anybody else using electric fuel transfer pumps to replace the mechanical one when it fails? I've done it a dozen times (all on different units) and never had to replace it again. I have often wondered why they are not standard equipment on new equipment. They prove their worth in reliablity and are super handy when priming the fuel system. ISZ?

Done that with several man lifts. Works pretty good and cheap!

EMT

Occupation
Business Owner,salesman,manager and babysitter
good point. probably because everthing is fuel injection or diesel. Do you use the ones from napa or is there a better quality pump?

aerolift

Napa. Or ebay. 25-30$, problem solved. I pick up the fuel line prior to the old pump then plum it right thru the old mechanical pump.