• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

No start

John Wierman

Occupation
Driver
Hello. I have owned a JD8875 for 15yrs now. I drove her into the garage to put a set of new injectors in her. She would not start afterwards. Sounds like a simple fix, ( just bleed the lines ) but it is not!!! I recently have a new lift pump, new filters, and rebuilt injection pump on it. I bleed the lines and she will not start!! Also used ether and no response at all. Rather frustrated, put old injectors back in and no start. Yes it does turn over, and power to shut off switch. Any further advise will be greatly appreciated!!!!

AllDodge

It won't hit with either
When its cranking is there any smoke and if so what color?

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
If it won’t fire on ether it’s got something other then fuel problems. Maybe a positive air shutoff tripped or rag in the intake.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
The HEF receives many similar inquires related to folks working on a fuel system and then experiencing a no start condition afterwards. I’m sure it’s frustrating, especially when you don’t have a lot of experience.

Most of the time, the no start is because the fuel system needs primed. Even worse if the temperature is cold or dealing with a weak battery/starting system. It needs the correct cranking speed for the magic to happen.

Combine low cranking speed and either and bad things happen.

Dave Neubert

Do you have fuel leaking out around the connection on the injector when you crack a line. I have had injection pumps be weak and when new injectors are installed wont make enough pressure to pop injectors. Also when you replaced the injection pump are you sure you got it timed right. A lot of times a diesel will not fire on either alone has to have some fuel with it

Delmer

When you bled the lines, was this the injector lines at the injectors? and did you get fuel squirting out of these while cranking?
Did you get any smoke from the exhaust after the injectors are bled and hooked back up?
Is this an old fashioned rotary injection pump? with a separate line to each injector?

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Just curious why he's throwing all these fuel system parts at the machine to begin with? Like Mobiltech says if it won't even hit on ether, there's probably some other issue....How was the machine running when you drove it in for the injector swap?

Last edited:

John Wierman

Occupation
Driver
It won't hit with either
When its cranking is there any smoke and if so what color?
Thank you " ALLDODGE " I am a dodge owner too, ( 2 ) 2500 and ( 3 ) 1500. Restoring my 12vale frame up now. Seeking a frame for my 03 5.7l. Yes there is smoke. Had door open to garage at that time and not sure of color. Will be working on it again shortly and let you know. Thanks again!!!!

John Wierman

Occupation
Driver
If it won’t fire on ether it’s got something other then fuel problems. Maybe a positive air shutoff tripped or rag in the intake.
Thank you for your reply, it is greatly appreciated!!! Not sure if there is a positive air shut off on it??? I will be removing the air intake assembly shortly, will let you know on that issue. Thanks again!!

John Wierman

Occupation
Driver
The HEF receives many similar inquires related to folks working on a fuel system and then experiencing a no start condition afterwards. I’m sure it’s frustrating, especially when you don’t have a lot of experience.

Most of the time, the no start is because the fuel system needs primed. Even worse if the temperature is cold or dealing with a weak battery/starting system. It needs the correct cranking speed for the magic to happen.

Combine low cranking speed and either and bad things happen.
Thank you for your reply!!! The system was primed and fuel was being released around the injector fitting. Yes it was cold and the battery has less than a year old and has been and will be on charger until issue is resolved. Thank again!!

John Wierman

Occupation
Driver
Do you have fuel leaking out around the connection on the injector when you crack a line. I have had injection pumps be weak and when new injectors are installed wont make enough pressure to pop injectors. Also when you replaced the injection pump are you sure you got it timed right. A lot of times a diesel will not fire on either alone has to have some fuel with it
Thank you for your reply!!! Yes i do have fuel coming out around the injectors when cracking them loose. The injection pump was rebuilt by a VERY reputable company whom my Co. deals with. I am rather sure i did it correctly. I made marks on the shaft to housing and block to pump housing. With the keyed gear that was not moved and held in place with the removal tool, I feel there were no errors in doing this. Thank again!!

John Wierman

Occupation
Driver

John Wierman

Occupation
Driver
When you bled the lines, was this the injector lines at the injectors? and did you get fuel squirting out of these while cranking?
Did you get any smoke from the exhaust after the injectors are bled and hooked back up?
Is this an old fashioned rotary injection pump? with a separate line to each injector?
Thank you for your reply!!!! Yes it was bleed first at the inlet to the IP, then at each injector fitting starting with the center one. Yes i did notice some smoke, not sure to the color as it was a windy day with the door open. I will be working on it shortly and be back it touch with the color it is displacing. The pump is a DB2. Yes separate lines to the injectors. Thanks again!!

John Wierman

Occupation
Driver
Just curious why he's throwing all these fuel system parts at the machine to begin with? Like Mobiltech says if it won't even hit on ether, there's probably some other issue....How was the machine running when you drove it in for the injector swap?
Thank you for you reply!!! First is, it had a slight miss and got worse with increased throttle. And was smoking. I assumed after 25years and nothing being done, it was time for new and clean injectors. Second, with putting new injectors in, I will replace filters! ( just like replacing a gas fuel pump, new filter will be needed ) Third, At $50. for a new lift pump, why not, now I'm sure the basics are covered! Last, I might as well do the last thing and have the 25yr old pump cleaned and set to factor specs again. As to feel the system is now complete for another 25yrs. Would you not agree?? The machine has served me well and i wish to continue using it for another 15yrs. Thanks again!!

Tinkerer

Last, I might as well do the last thing and have the 25yr old pump cleaned and set to factor specs again.
I edited your post down to the "pump" part of it.
In your opening post you said that you put a rebuilt injection pump on it. Yes ?
In your last post you are going have the old pump cleaned and re-calibrated.
Are you dealing with two separate pumps ?
If you had the injection pump off are you certain it is now timed correctly ?

Delmer

...sure i did it correctly. I made marks on the shaft to housing and block to pump housing. With the keyed gear that was not moved and held in place with the removal tool, I feel there were no errors in doing this. Thank again!!

He had the injection pump out, and sounds like it would be hard to screw it up. Only question left is any smoke? and what color?
Maybe Thepumpguy has some magic? otherwise it should start, and I can't conjure why it isn't.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I’m so lost. I don’t even know who’s on third base and I’m totally sober. We got to get this thing running.

Could that DB2 be 180 out?

jimg984

i would check the return line and fitting from injector pump to fuel storage tank, may not letting excess fuel flow to go thur, kiss== keep it simple simon