• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

No start of a 1999 genie z45-25j with ford 425 lrg engine

240gordy

Occupation
Automotive and Heavy Duty Tech.
I will try to keep my story as short as possible here. Brother in-law bought a 99 z45 genie lift, not running. Its has the ford 425 lrg in it. Looks like wiring along valve cover to coil, and cranks sensor was melted where muffler comes up near it. Ive worked on the genie stuff a bit but am not a complete guru. Looking for help from willie59 if possible, sounds like a good guy. Also I am relatively new here, but read a few posts. So upon checking out the unit looks like another tech has rewired very roughly the melted wiring at back of valve cover area. things seem ok there for now, but this unit will not fire up when cranked. fuel pump comes on and has 55 psi at fuel rail. kinda runs on Ether (not my idea), but not very well at all. When I pulled spark plug to check for spark there is none. also no injector pulse at all on any injectors. So I checked both cam and crank sensors, they check out good all way to ecm. Looks like previous tech has checked all this as well as I saw some bared wire on cam sensor wiring. So now I cannot for sure determine if computer has failed or if maybe the ignition coil has failed? Computer is big money so I don't want to just throw that at it even though I suspect its the problem. When cranking should I see the 2 ground wires to coil from ecm pulsing with test light like genie tech told me? and can I check that with coil dis-connected or does it have to be hooked up? I have power to the red wire to coil already, that much is good. So can I test coil gound pulsing wires while cranking with coil hooked up and disconnected? should I see ground at the 2 brown wires even dis-connected? I wish I had a known good used ecm to swap in to see if it fixes it! Place I work at just sold the same machine at an auction cause of high hrs on it, but it was running, I wish I had it back!!:Banghead

jatspic05

We had a 1999 Z45 with ford 425. The wiring along the engine closes to the muffler was melted also. We ended up having to update the harness and throttle body from a zenith to bosch and ECM per genie. After all was said and done we ended up rebuilding the regulator and using only propane. If you do the update, let me know I have some updated info and wiring that Genie doesn't send in the update kit($5000)and it was a big help for us getting the unit to start. I really think that the ethenol fuel has alot to do with the older engine issues, I also believe that the plastic fuel tanks that genie and jlg are using plays a part too. The fuel always smells off when removing the fuel cap. Maybe that is just me!!
I think that the fuel rail pressure is supposed to be around 70 PSI.

240gordy

Occupation
Hey jatspic05! Lol, funny u mention the stinky gas smell that comes from these machines, I've not smelt this current one I'm working on as it is sitting outside, but I had our old z45 that we sold in the shop many times and it stunk bad, not like normal fuel at all!! I would put plastic bag over fuel fill opening and thread cap back on when it was in shop. :D Ive bench tested coil with ohm meter, checks out good. I have been told by local repair shop this unit has already received the updated ecm setup:beatsme So with that in mind I checked with Ford Industial. figure that's who sells these engines to Genie anyways. They say they can get me an ecm for 1200$ But I'm still worried it wont work with the genie machine for some reason, I don't know if Genie flashes these ecms or alters them in any other way or not??? Also I jumpered the oil press switch and coolant temp switches to see if there was a bad sensor causing no spark as well, but no luck.

jhillock

We had a 1999 Z45 with ford 425. The wiring along the engine closes to the muffler was melted also. We ended up having to update the harness and throttle body from a zenith to bosch and ECM per genie. After all was said and done we ended up rebuilding the regulator and using only propane. If you do the update, let me know I have some updated info and wiring that Genie doesn't send in the update kit($5000)and it was a big help for us getting the unit to start. I really think that the ethenol fuel has alot to do with the older engine issues, I also believe that the plastic fuel tanks that genie and jlg are using plays a part too. The fuel always smells off when removing the fuel cap. Maybe that is just me!!
I think that the fuel rail pressure is supposed to be around 70 PSI.

240gordy

Occupation
Hey there jhillock, I will give you a call later this afternoon, I did actually get my machine running, it was a difficult thing. Not sure I can help, but I will try. I'm not the guy your looking for a response from, but see what we can do.

jatspic05

I will dig up my notes on Monday and see what I can send you. I will get back with you.