• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

no power to ignition switch case 1840

joetx

Occupation
buy, sell, build hotrods, retired
Hello guys, new to this forum. Own a hot rod shop, but use my 1996 case 1840 a lot, as I work alone and can't do what I used to be able to do....Have been doing some reading, but not finding the info I need. Never had a problem starting my 1840 until this week. Used it about a week ago and worked fine. Tried to start it and saw that the fuel gauge didn't light up. Turned the key and nothing. Completely dead. No click from starter or fuel solenoid etc. So I hooked up the battery charger and still no power.

Disconnected the charger and jumped the starter solenoid and it cranked. Had someone sit in the seat, key on, (no light indicators on) and jumped the solenoid again. It cranked but it didn't fire. This machine always starts on the first couple of cranks. So my ground and battery are good. Don't know where the fuses are if any...

Unbolted the instument panel and disconnected the ignition switch plug and had some corrosion, cleaned it, tried it again, nothing... Ran a jumper wire from the batt to the hot terminal on the ignition switch plug, then jumped the plug to the other plug wires with a small wire. When I did that, motor cranked, but never got the fuel to light up. Reconnected the plug to the switch and again jumped the main batt line direct from the battery and used the key. System is dead. Will not crank with the key or light up my gauge lights.

There is a small square about 1"X1" next to the ignition switch, don't know if this is a switch or a relay. Any help will really be appreaciated. Thanks, Joe.

3.jpg

5-11-10 049.jpg

6-4-10 041.jpg

27 t.jpg

shop.jpg

joetx

Occupation
Did a better job of jumping the main wire to the ignition switch straight from the hot battery post and this time the old girl started and turned off. Was able to drive it into the shop to trouble shoot it later..... I'm sure it's an inline fuse on the main line. Don't want to run it much this way as I don't know what happened when I lost power in the first place. Any ideas? Thanks, Joe.

eric12

I worked on a 1845 i think it was a while back and it had an inline fuse between the alternator/ battery and ignition switch. thats the only one i know of and it wasn't the problem i was looking for but it gives you something to look for. do you have a parts/ service manual for it?

heymccall

To facilitate cab sliding/ serviceability, there are several electrical connectors on the rear wall of the cab, just inboard of the RH fender. The terminals are prone to corrosion later in their service life. Unplug, inspect, and repair, as necessary.

joetx

Occupation
Thanks for the info....I'll look into it. My unit was bought off a plant where it was abused and is not a good looking machine, I've had it about 10 yrs...however, it has been great for me, just some oil leaks and minor work. I'll check terminals for corrosion. Don't think the cab has ever been pulled forward from the look of things. Thanks, Joe.