1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

no fuel pressure 3406

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by Beetle_Spin, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Beetle_Spin

Beetle_Spin Active Member

im haveing trouble getting fuel pressure on my 99 3406 2ws i got a gage and i can get it up to 5 psi with the hand pump after a while of pumping but once i turn it over to try to get it to build pressure i lose it all instantly new fuel lines new transfer pump new filters and new fuel regulator valve any ideas im about to check the injector o rings soon also the primary fuel filter will get sucked almost dry every time i turn it over

2. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    There are check valves in the filter base and there is a check valve in the primer pump, those need
    to be checked first. If the one in the primer goes bad/rolls it won't start.

Oxbow likes this.
  3. Beetle_Spin

i changed the check valve thats on the bottom of the filter base but there is another one in the hand primer itself ?

Oxbow likes this.
  4. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Yes.

Oxbow likes this.
  5. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
    Yeah. Sounds like a primer pump issue.

Oxbow likes this.
  6. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

Maybe 20 years ago there was a batch of hand primers where the rubber piston would break up and block the outlet. I would have thought that they would all be worked out of the system by now, but you never know.

Oxbow likes this.
  7. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
    My how time slips by. I remember that. Seems like the latest ones are cheaply made and leak prone out of the box.

Oxbow likes this.
  8. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Only other time I've seen the filter sucked dry {6TS 3406} T-800, the sending unit fell to pieces and
    blocked pickup tube in tank. As soon as engine shut down the piece would float away, start back up
    then die at sporadic intervals. It was a fun one to troubleshoot. Had plenty of fuel psi.

Oxbow likes this.
  9. Beetle_Spin

heres a update these hand primers are junk had 2 break right out of the box back to back. But got new fuel lines and i pressurised the tanks and used the hand pump and got about 20 psi on a gage i hooked up.Had someone come over and said the fuel transfer pump was on upside down ? so i fliped it when we spun it it was sucking air out of the line that pushes fuel into the system. He also said i was missing a battery cable to the starter only have 1 main wire from the batterys said i need 2. Hooked jumper cables to battery amd starter and it turns over great just still no pressure. it seems like the hand pump is working but then agin the past 3 new ones iv gotten have literaly came apart as soon as i use them.

10. Beetle_Spin

Also took apart the entire fuel system and blew all the lines out and pulled injectors to discover one had a broken spring.

11. Beetle_Spin

Im gona make a new cable for the battery and instal the old primer pump that i origonaly took off the truck to see if it still works. its sucking when i hold it aginst my hand so only way i know to see is to try it out. Cant see it causeing any more harm seeing im struggleing to get any psi i normaly get about 2 or 3 psi right now with the hand pump on it then lose it all when i turn the truck over

12. Oxbow

Oxbow Senior Member

To expand on what Truck Stop said, there are two check valves in the primer pump base, each about the size of a dime. If they look identical one has flipped over.

Likely not your problem as you have tried other primer pumps, but it only takes a few minutes to check them.

Truck Shop likes this.
  13. Beetle_Spin

makes sence ill pull it off ans look

14. Beetle_Spin

i changed the primer it definetly seems like that was part of it but i broke the gasket so have to make a new one tomarow also added the extra power cable and she turns over like it should just have to prime it now becouse it burped a few times with what fuel was in the injectors can anyone explaine the proper way to bleed the system

15. Beetle_Spin

has anyone ever seen a transfer pump flow backwards mine is pushing air from the sucktion side and sucking from the push side seems like i got a faulty pump

16. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

What's the part number of the pump?

Truck Shop likes this.
  17. Beetle_Spin

id have to take a look tomarow

18. Beetle_Spin

033022 0010 384-8612

19. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

That is a rear timing case mounted pump. Is this what you have?
    What's your serial number?
    upload_2022-11-4_6-7-2.png

Oxbow and Truck Shop like this.
  20. Oxbow

Oxbow Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken there are two rod lengths for those transfer pumps.