• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

no fire 3406e

Beetle_Spin

iv got a 1999 3406e it has great fuel pressure on a gage gets 70 when turning over then drops to 0 when it stops jand primer is stiff and can hear the fuel regulator "whineing when pumping" it is acting like it wants to fire up but just wont fire up on either gas wd40 nothing any ideas

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Has the tach been acting wonky? Does the tach work while cranking?
Codes?
How has it been running lately?
Serial #?
Check the ECM fuse?

Try tapping on the cam sensor. But don’t break it. She’ll fire right up. Guaranteed, or your money back.

Beetle_Spin

tac moves when cranking changes the speed sensor i believe its the one at the bottom of the motor at the driver side didnt change anything all fuses are good and problem is its been sitting for a few years we are just at a dead end on ideas

Coaldust

Occupation
Cam sensor is on top of the front cover driver side. You are pounding on the wrong sensor.

Truck Shop

What's the serial # as Nige would ask. WD40 or gas is a bad substitute for diesel fuel.
Change filters get a clean bucket of fuel and draw from that. It might build pressure but can't
expect it to run on crap fuel. Hopefully no old bio fuel in it.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Check your ecm wires for live power and keyed power. I don’t have a schematic up for it but I think 70 is keyed power and 48, 52 are live to battery.
There will likely be an ecm fuse in the battery box too.

Truck Shop

3176B, C-10, C-12 and 3406E share engine and roughly same vehicle harness wiring tp to 6TS-1 3406.
Check ECM power and ground connections with ignition key on. Battery voltage at ECM connector P1/J1
pin-6 + battery to pin-5 -battery should be 11.0 to 13.5 volts. Pin 4 is unswitched +battery.
Make sure fuel injector connector J5/P5 at top of cylinder head is clean and connected.
#6 pin is key switched and should have a breaker, #4 pin is unswitched off the battery and has a breaker.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Does this thing have Jakes? There should be a pair of 10 amp fuses off the starter iirc in nice little fuse holders. Make sure you have power at both ends, not just a fuse that looks good. As mentioned earlier check the connections at the ECM.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I had a truck, Pete, that had good fuses and all the wiring checked out. Got to fiddling with the fuse panel while cranking…..not sure why I did that….boom she busted right off. Evidently windshield had been leaking and there was corrosion on the backside of the fuse panel and my wiggling things around woke it up.

Also, just because you have juice doesn’t mean you have a good ground. KW’s are notorious for ground issues, at least in my experience.

Coaldust

Occupation
Good point, Junkyard.
Especially if Beetle_spin had the batteries out of it and missed one of the very many wires hooked up all over the place.

Beetle_Spin

ill have to check it out this afternoon been rainy the past few days here i drained all the old fuel and got new fuel started with 5 gallons in a can to no avail it has great pressure off a gage hooked to the fuel base get around 60 or 70 cranking but drops to zero when stoped ill have to check the ecm pins to see what has power and what dosent also check the fuse block id almost bet somthing is coroded idk what the part is at the bottom is than yall are saying the speed sensor is on top at the front iv got a idea of what sensor or plug is there but ill take a look this afternoon also the serial starts with 2ws id have to get the full serial later

Truck Shop

The 2WS would have the cam/rotation sensor on the back side of front structure behind air compressor.
The early 5EK had the cam/rotation sensor mounted to the upper outside edge of structure. IIRC 97 or
98 was the last years for that style.

Nige--was the schematic SENRS5574-04 Jan 1999, that's what is printed on mine?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
ige--was the schematic SENRS5574-04 Jan 1999, that's what is printed on mine?
SENR5574-04 doesn't cover 2WS-prefix engines, at least they are not listed on the cover page. The schematic I found for 2WS was RENR2337-08 dated March 2021.

Comparing the two schematics the ECM power pinouts are very different. On RENR2337 it shows unswitched power on Pins 48, 52, & 53, plus switched power from the key on Pin 70.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

SENR5574-04 doesn't cover 2WS-prefix engines, at least they are not listed on the cover page. The schematic I found for 2WS was RENR2337-08 dated March 2021.

Comparing the two schematics the ECM power pinouts are very different. On RENR2337 it shows unswitched power on Pins 48, 52, & 53, plus switched power from the key on Pin 70.

Thank you Nige.

Would the OP-disregard my post #10.

Truck Shop

Strange both SENR5574-04 and RENR2337-08 reference the same engines according
to Nige.