• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

No.1 diesel

Delmer

Wow, I didn't realize #1 and #2 were so close, less than 5% difference. Most of the mileage difference is cold weather, not the fuel.

nicky 68a

This is a very enlightening post to read.I had no idea about the different grades of fuel and particularly enjoyed the words of Randy88.
Many thanks for posting

skyking1

Wow, I didn't realize #1 and #2 were so close, less than 5% difference. Most of the mileage difference is cold weather, not the fuel.
exactly that. Diesels are more efficient than gassers, and when they have to make heat in the winter to get into efficient operating temperatures it costs.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Our highway and off-road diesel pumps used to have a dial to change the mix from 100% #2 to 75/25, 50/50, 25/75 or straight number 1. Now everybody has two separate pumps, and you have to guess at how many gallons of each you will need to fill your tanks with the mix you need based on the weather forecast.

Randy88

Old-iron-habit, in Minnesota, what additives are they allowed to use in number one, any idea, many area's allow number 2 to have additives like power service in them and be called number 1, which I don't like at all. I know many off road suppliers do the same thing, they dump in several gallons of additive [power service] and just bill it as number one, that in itself has caused me a lot of grief over the years.