• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

nice 983 pics

dieseldave

surfer joe, I have to disagree with you on this one. MY 983 has a D8 back end, track frames (with one extra roller), and UC. It's basic architecture is D8-based, but uses the lighter D343 for power. It shares nothing with the D7.

indian347

I ran a 826 trash compactor which had a 343 twin over head cam in it. I was told it was the same engine in the 980 loader.We also had a 77 which was a pain in the ..... to push trash with. But it was the machine of choice for clearing. I miss that old iron. Jim

i

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
man, i'd love to bang out a string of trucks with an '83.

pwking13

We had 2 of them in our mining fleet, 1 was a really good machine the other had hydraulic problems all the time. I had though that Holt machinery in San Antonio had built them expecially for us since there is no listing of them in the little black book, looked just like a D8 with a bucket on it, I could have sworn these had a 6yd bucket though. It's been a long time ago, this was back in the late 80's.

51kw

There is a demo contractor about 45 miles from me that was still running 2 of these 3yrs ago. They were in fairly good shape.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
McColman and Sons Demolition in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada had one when I worked there in 2001 one of the steering clutches wasn't working on it, but it had the heavy ROPS canopy and demolition bucket. Last summer I saw a couple near the Selkirk Rolling Mills, they had cabs I believe and one was missing track pads so it's hard to say if they were still being used or abused.