• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

NH 250 Cummins front end power takeoff

Tugger2

I have an NH250 in one of the cranes,i would like to run another hydraulic pump for a third drum on it. The accessory drive is loaded up so im wondering about driving off the front of the crank. Making an adaptor to fit the bolt flange inside the vibration damper seems straight forward. My question is will the front of the crank take 20 or 25 HP. of intermittent load assuming i dont side load or end load it too much.

crane operator

All the Grove tms 300-475's drove the hyd pumps off the front crank. Engines are either 6-71 or cummins 230-250's. Bolt on plate with yoke/ ujoint to a 2' driveshaft driving the gearbox and 2- 2 stage pumps.

my P&H 70 ton drives its pumps the same way off a 6v92 front crank.

Tugger2

Good to hear . Ive driven lots of things off the front of Detroits , This is my first Cummins in the fleet . Just needed some reassurance. Thanks

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Look around and see if you can't find an old mixer or municipal snow plow that has the parts you need.
I was thinking along the same line, mixers and plow trucks and even the water truck we had at the quarry all use front of crank to power pumps, just use a drive shaft or some flexible coupling to take stresses off crank.

crane operator

I think you would be better off to just take the dampner to a machine shop with a bolt on u joint flange. Drill and counterbore holes for the bolts thru the dampner, and bolt on with heavy counter sunk allen head bolts. Drill and tap the adaptor for a 4 bolt ujoint flange. Bolt the dampner and adaptor back to the engine first, then the ujoint flange to the adaptor.

Finding anything that is big or small cam cummins in a mixer or municipal truck would be unlikely in my area. Most of them that are cummins are 8.3 and m11/ l10. Very few around here would be 855. I think the time spent searching for the right flange, would pay for the machine shop to just make it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Older mixers that should be in bone yards were either 6L71 or 250s for the most part around here. A few odd 3208s a fewer still Ford 7.8L and a great many IHC with DTs.

Tugger2

A quick call to the scrap guys confirmed that. We can make the stuff in my shop anyhow,just would have been nice to save a bit of time.Around here the redimix outfits stipulate that their old trucks are completely destroyed , non competition .

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
A quick call to the scrap guys confirmed that. We can make the stuff in my shop anyhow,just would have been nice to save a bit of time.Around here the redimix outfits stipulate that their old trucks are completely destroyed , non competition .

Do they not even sell off components like engines or transmissions?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If like Kienstra St Louis once sent to scrapper truck is either crushed or shredded
Engines gas axed out
Have to catch them at home yard and being used fir pieces as already written off

Tugger2

I bought a 4/71complete from the hyd pump to the rad off the scrappers once. It came out of a gradeall which is a pretty simple takeout , but they bashed the crap out of it.Another time they dropped a nice lister genset off the side of a barge they were dismantling for me. It seems hard to get good parts out the scrappers . You would think the value added would warrant the cost of taking better care of this stuff.