• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Zealand Earthquake

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Good one CM1995 Folks there will appreciate thoughts and prayers from the other side of our world.

Early reports here show massive infrastructure damage, due to subsidence and landslides, there are two reported deaths.

Best wishes from Australia to anyone in harms way.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
I worked through this area 30-40 years ago on road upgrades and we throught we had some pretty big jobs to do but the cleanup and reinstatment is going to be massave. The geotech part alone is going to a huge job as all the ground structures have changed.
My wife and did a trip through this area on our belated honeymoon earlier this year and we cannot belive that with all the tourist traffic and truck movements in the area that only 2 poor souls lost their lives.
To you you Kiwi's, Be Strong (Kia Kaha)and best wishes

Last edited:

Labparamour

Agree, hope everyone and their families are safe and there's no other casualties than the two mentioned.
Prayers to all.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The pictures and reports I'm seeing shows a massive amount of infrastructure and building damage. It's a miracle that only two poor souls lost their life, it could've been much, much worse.

td25c

Thoughts & prayers for our mates in New Zealand .

Hope D6 Merv is ok & doing well given the bad circumstance .

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Cheers TD25C; yeah im in the north island and hasn,t been anything up where I am; but lower end of north island has had a lot of shocks and some damage there.
Biggest damage is upper end of the south island with massive damage to road and rail networks.
Is raining severely there too and this will make a lot of the landslides worse and more dangerous to clear.
Thanks Merv

D6 Merv

Occupation
Am still alive and well scrub.
Tend to spend more time on facebook these days; as is a lot of machinery chat sites on there that I tend to get involved with !
Quite a lot of the guys from a lot of the sites post there too and is just a matter of working out there real names from there 'handles' from off here and other sites !
Cheers mervyn pepper.

D6 Merv

Occupation
yeah the pic of the cattle on there island made worldwide news alright ! They were rescued yesterday by their farmer owner who went up there with a shovel and hand dug a escape track for them.

Tones

Occupation
Reports that the land in some areas has risen or dropped 15m.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
I heard about the upheval, that's massive! Need some big equipment to get that road cleared out fast! What a mess. The picture of the rail line that skidded across the blacktop is impressive!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
yeah the pic of the cattle on there island made worldwide news alright ! They were rescued yesterday by their farmer owner who went up there with a shovel and hand dug a escape track for them.

When I first saw that picture on FB as the news was coming in I thought it was photoshopped.:eek:

Good to know you didn't get the brunt of it Merv.:)

15M of land movement is massive, it's hard to wrap your head around that number.

Tones

Occupation
In the press today it has beem mentioned that they may require about 1000 workers more the is available in NZ for the earthquake cleanup which some could operators. No decision has been made on clearing the coast road or to build a new road inland. It's going to be a huge job which ever way. I found this info on stuff.nz.co I have no idea how to send a link