• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Volvo/JCB MC60C - MC135C Skid Steers

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Hello Dan,

Actually I have decided against any skid steer or compact wheel loader altogether. The whole purpose of purchasing a skid steer was to be able to put together a competitive bid to do C&D Recycling which after the realization of how many heavy hitters were bidding too it doesn't look good for us. I do appreciate your input, thank you...
I am just going to throw this out there, I know you don't like the front entry, but how about a bobcat A300 or it's replacement the A770. It is an all wheel steer steerskid. There is a switch on the dash to switch between aws and skid mode. Overall vey reliable and everybody who owns one LOVE them.

JCBiron

Stay away from both, great machines as far as cab entry and visibilty but are mechanical nightmares. I have yet too see one not have some sort of problem.

What is your experience with the new machines? Do you own one? Work on them (professionally)? Just curious as to the problems you have seen.

This thread interests me in several areas.....First, I have not heard of any MAJOR chronic problems as are being described. I'm not saying that it's not happening, just that this could be one VERY isolated incident. I could probably cut and paste KSSS's comments from this thread (https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?29214-TR320-Down-and-parts-are-2-months-away) and post them here. One problem doesn't mean the entire machine/line/brand is doomed for all eternity. If that were the case, we would all still be using shovels and picks. Show me a brand that hasn't ran into a mechanical flaw.

Secondly, I would also be interested in the application use/maintenance/etc. Again, not passing blame, but it's kinda like a guy who is pulling triple 17yd pans with a Quadtrac thru 3 feet of mud and a D7 pushing from the back and then complains that he's breaking sh*t.....common sense goes a long way.

Lastly, I can only speak from my experience with these new units, but our feedback has been fantastic. We have only had a few minor issues (faulty temp sensor, blower fan relay, etc.) thus far. It's just funny how when a guy owns one brand, it is the best thing since sliced bread and all others are junk or "have had some sort of problem." Funny story: I had a guy tell me one time that his Bobcat Versahandler was the best machine out there (as I was trying to get him to give a JCB a look). I asked a few questions, one of them being "How has your reliability been on your Bobacat?" His answer was, "Oh, it's been great, we love the machine." He then proceeded to tell me the unit had caught fire once, the hitch was slopped out, the boom had cracked (but "they patched it and really beefed it up") and that the reason I couldn't inspect the machine for myself while I was there was because it was in the shop with transmission problems. (unit had about 4000 hours)

I know this isn't about a Versahandler, but I think I've made my point. I also know a guy who has a new T770 and it's been to the shop 3 or 4 times in less than 200 hours, so I guess all Bobcats are junk too.

It sounds like you have decided to axe the project all-together, so this all becomes moot, but informative nonetheless.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Does that mean you disagree with my view? I think its pretty objective.

JCBiron

The comparison I was making was to the statements you made regarding the TR/TV Case CTL's in the other thread.....I took your point as one isolated incident of mechanical, or in that case, electrical failure does not mean that the entire line of machines is flawed and heading for the scrap heap.....Is that a valid assesment of your commments? If it was, then yes, I agree, no matter what the brand may be.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
@KSSS

By the way, I think I should get some sort of royalty check for the use of your signature!:D

LOL! Fair enough, I will give you 75% of everything I make off it, so far, your royalty check is $0.00 but who knows that may change.

As far as my comments, yes that is a correct assesment.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Hello JCBiron,

Yes, I have made the decision not to purchase a skid steer or compact wheel loader. Personally, I was under the impression that the new JCB/Volvo skids and CTL's were very good machines, although I have never owned or operated either. I became a member of HEF to hear the feedback and experiences of those who have owned, operated or worked on these machines and know all too well about the Chevy, Ford and Chrysler mentality which is why they make chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream, something for everyone.

For me there is one major drawback and that is product support, the local Volvo dealership is not well liked and I haven't a clue where a JCB dealership might be in close proximity. In my 15 years as a General/Electrical Contractor I have rented most type machines for various projects and if I really had to make the decision again to purchase compact/utility equipment I would buy Kubota. I have had zero issues with their machines and the product/customer support they have provide me has always been outstanding. So, for me this matter is closed and I sincerely appreciate all the input from those who have contributed to this thread, thank you!

Bobcatdan

My experince with JCB is based one one brand new unit that has proven so unreiable, the mill rents a backup from us. In four months, the JCB has been down more then actually used.

RAD

What is your experience with the new machines? Do you own one? Work on them (professionally)? Just curious as to the problems you have seen.

This thread interests me in several areas.....First, I have not heard of any MAJOR chronic problems as are being described. I'm not saying that it's not happening, just that this could be one VERY isolated incident.

This thread interests me in several areas.....First, I have not heard of any MAJOR chronic problems as are being described. I'm not saying that it's not happening, just that this could be one VERY isolated incident.

Sorry for the late reply, first let me say, I really like the concept of the units, great visibility, easy acess into cab, comfortable and decent hydrulic/engine power. Nice looking machines also.

So far, engine oil pan failure (300hrs), the structure underneath engine has no access to properly clean out dirt and debris. The dirt/debris sands the pan until it actually rubs a hole in the pan. The same also goes for the hydraulics underneath cab, the tracks actually throw dirt and mud into the hydraulic compartment and builds up terribly. The operators do not even know they have a leak because the built up dirt soaks up the oils and the unit quits functioning due to lack of oil.

The above problem is supposed to be corrected on the newer models in production covering the engine compartment. In my opinion, there also needs to be large clean out panels in the hydraulic compartment.

The air intake system sucks up the dirt from inside the engine compartment and right into the air filter.

Multiple problems with the "one time use fittings" blowing off the hydraulic lines, (less than 10hrs) happened on three seperate machines. Hydraulic hoses rubbing in compartments causing leaks.

The entire right side of engine has no access, almost impossible to get to the second fuel filter. Engine oil plug cap is also almost impossible to screw in the enviromental hose drain the oil unless you are "Tiny Tim".

Boom suspension problems, bucket float problems, wiring harness rubbing apart.... etc...

Multiple problems on multiple machines, these are just the problems I have seen with my own eyes, in fairness I will not list the others I have heard about.

I know problems exist with all machines, especially skid steers it just seems as it has been so many problems with these.

JCBiron

@ RAD

What application is the unit running in? Also, when was the unit originally placed into service? (how old is it?)

I have heard complaints about not enough clean-out access in the belly of the machine. I have also experienced firsthand that the tooth-fairy herself couldn't spin the oil drain hose on that fitting.

Right-side engine access is definitely not as good as the rest of the engine, but you have to expect some compromise somewhere....access to the rest of the engine and daily maintenance checks is pretty fantastic.

The one-time use fittings you are referring to, I assume, are the smaller servo lines? I'll be honest, I was not a big fan of those when first seeing the machine, but I can say that we haven't had any cause us any problems yet. Eventually, most (probably not all, but most) of them will be gone anyway once the large frame units go to EH controls.

As for the other issues you stated, I have not heard of such issues. The only similar issue I am aware of was that when running a mulch head, the cooling fan created a wind-tunnel effect at the front of the chassis between the cab and the frame, and it actually sucked sawdust/debris into the belly. This was easily solved by a $20 piece of weatherstripping, so it shouldn't be an issue on machines going forward.

I guess the last thing I'll say is that from a dealer perspective, all new products go thru growing pains. Some more than others, but they all do. I'm gonna reference back to my Ag experience with the Case IH Quadtrac again, but if I were to list all the "small" problems that machine had as it evolved, you guys would think it was the biggest POS there ever was. Quite the contrary, that machine is the baddest articulated tractor on the planet, and I would take anyone's Challenge (pun intended) in the dirt to prove me otherwise.

What it comes down to is having a good dealer to help you through those situations and keep you going, whether it be with their service, or with a loaner until your machine is back up and running. RAD, I hope this is the case in your situation.