• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Truck

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
1993 Ford L9000 3306 Cat 10.5 litre w/Eaton fuller 8 Speed............Old Penndot truck. Aluminum box. Runs strong. Was looking at a F800 single axle but this one showed up and fit the bill for what i needed it for.......
AA

Attachments

• domdot truck.jpg
    domdot truck.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,038
Last edited:

DGODGR

Aluminum box? I've never seen those on a DOT truck before. IMO steel would be much sturdier. Aluminum is usually used where max payload is priority over durability. I bet it will be fine but br careful when loading boulders and concrete.
Congratulations.

DGODGR

Looking at the picture again, it looks like a steel box. Maybe you are refering to an aluminum tool box?

pafarmer

Occupation
It's an alumium box. 100% certain. I like it. No rust ,No rot, Max payload 18K...........I know its not the greatest but to me its totally fantastic. I couldn't be happier. The box is more beefy than most steel boxes I have seen. It is in remarkable condition for its age and use by the state of Pa. It's an awesome setup in my opinion. The box alone was worth what i paid for the old girl. You see, for me its a great/proud day to be able to get this truck.

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Penndot uses J&J aluminum bodies, there's nothing unsturdy about them!! I bought one used from a Penndot 1 ton truck and though it's not pretty, it's as strong as it was new after 10 years use and in salt conditions. I've always been a fan of the Ford L series, I spent 20 years driving them. Good luck with the truck!

pafarmer

Occupation
Penndot uses J&J aluminum bodies, there's nothing unsturdy about them!! I bought one used from a Penndot 1 ton truck and though it's not pretty, it's as strong as it was new after 10 years use and in salt conditions. I've always been a fan of the Ford L series, I spent 20 years driving them. Good luck with the truck!

Thank You very much. I appreciate your kind words....

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The box alone was worth what i paid for the old girl.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the pic. You could use that truck for years and get the money you paid for it back and then some, as I don't see aluminum loosing any value.;)

I hope you have good luck with the truck, congrats!:drinkup

pafarmer

Occupation
That's exactly what I thought when I saw the pic. You could use that truck for years and get the money you paid for it back and then some, as I don't see aluminum loosing any value.;)

I hope you have good luck with the truck, congrats!:drinkup

Thank You CM1995.......

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
I bought a truck just like this, about 3-4 years ago, at a Penndot auction. I think it was a 1991 L9000, 13 1/2ft aluminum bed, Cat 3306, 130,000 miles. I think I paid $6500 for it, I used it about a year and sold it for $15,000.00. All I did to it was put higher boards on the side and paint the cab.
Ive said it before, I love my L9000 trucks, they are hard to kill
You will like the truck, turns great, you can get in those hard to get to places

pafarmer

Occupation
I bought a truck just like this, about 3-4 years ago, at a Penndot auction. I think it was a 1991 L9000, 13 1/2ft aluminum bed, Cat 3306, 130,000 miles. I think I paid $6500 for it, I used it about a year and sold it for $15,000.00. All I did to it was put higher boards on the side and paint the cab.
Ive said it before, I love my L9000 trucks, they are hard to kill
You will like the truck, turns great, you can get in those hard to get to places

First thing i noticed was how tight of a turn it can make. Great rig for sure. Willis Bushogin !!! great handle.

Last edited:

grandpa

You sure that engine isn't a 3406 instead of a 3306? But none the less that IS a heck of a good truck.... wished I could order 5 new ones just like that today......

pafarmer

Occupation
You sure that engine isn't a 3406 instead of a 3306? But none the less that IS a heck of a good truck.... wished I could order 5 new ones just like that today......

Positive........Why do you ask ? I am sure you could order as many of them as you wanted, all it would take is a dump truck load of 100's..........

Last edited:

pafarmer

Occupation
Understood. I'll be done with it at the end of summer, lord willing and it will go up for sale to be replaced by new.........If anyone is so inclinced, i'm taking names and numbers......Don't know what i'll be asking becasue we will be putting some money into it mostly for appearance.