• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New tool review...

DIYDAVE

Hadda coupla minor welds to do, none very big, but woulda been a pain in the arse, to take apart, to get into the shop. Went to HF, and picked up one of these:

I was gonna try it out on the generator that I found on the shoulder of the road, a coupla years ago, thought I had run it outta gas, when I last ran it, but apparently it had enough bad gas in it to clog the carb. So I said, well I'm already down here, by the hay wagon, with the 1/2 cracked front spindle, and the tractor what needed a nut welded on it, so WTF, I'll pull out the cheap 50' extension cord, and run it on barn 'lectric, most I'll do is blow the 15 amp breaker, right? Didn't blow the breaker, gots both jobs done in an hour, or so, and put her away. For $179, and something that's about the size of a football, it done better'n I expected!

Looked in the bag, at next weeks sales circular, and NATURALLY, its on sale fer $30 less! Oh well, just gettin these jobs done, in good weather was worth it, in my book!;):rolleyes:

Old Doug

I would like to use one. I borrowed a very cheap flux core welder and didnt like the way it worked.

DIYDAVE

View attachment 205722
No seriously, thanks for sharing that, have always had doubts about whether HF electric tools would be worth a darn or not.
So it made decent welds with flux core wire?

Decent welds, YES! I have been mig welding for years, arc, for years before that. Now that I have tried the flux welder(THat's ALL this particular model does) I wouldn't be afraid to try out TIG, using HF's cheap machines. The economic reality is that the prices are coming down, with inverter tech, and the quality is going up, too! Haven't done TIG, for years and years, since college, when the machines were as big as an early IBM computer! A small TIG, is now hardly much bigger than this lunchbox sized flux core welder. I bought it mainly because it was 2/3 the price of what callin in a a pro welder and a service truck woulda cost me...;)