• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New to me Michigan loader

Randy v.b.

Hello all, This is my first post an the forum and my first purchase of heavy equipment. My father has had old backho's and stuff but never any wheel loaders. I set out looking for a dozer but found what I think is a pretty good wheel loader, with a little TLC.. Mainly hydraulic hoses and the brakes need to be fixed. I just had a couple questions that I was wondering if anybody could answer about the machine. It is a 1965 and has a 453 Detroit for power but that is the extent of the knowledge I have on the machine, I can't seem to find any plates on in anywhere saying what model it is. I'm going to have to purchase a few parts and will need to know the model to do so. If anybody has any information it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Randyloader.jpg

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
It would help if you can find the serial number, should be stamped on the frame somewhere. sample would be3BG101 thru 3BG999 0r start with 4BG for a 55A, or 2CG101 thru 2CG999 or 3CG101 thru 3CG 101 thru 3CG101 thru 3CG999 for a 75A series II.

Randy v.b.

Thank you for the reply, I will take another walk on the frame for the serial number. The vehicle identification number on the papers is c4cg

Randy v.b.

Sorry I posted to quick and can't edit my post for some reason. The identification on my paper says c4cg945 if that mean's anything to you.

Thank you
Randy

Randy v.b.

Well i found the book to the loader and you are right.. It is a 75A series II.

Now for a new question about a problem with the machine, on the front of the bell housing there is 2 small grey pumps and a bigger pump towards the top. On the centre pump around two of the bolts it is leaking a fair amount of fluid. its red fluid, I assume it is coming from inside the bell housing? what is the best way to fix this? should I take the pump right off and put a new gasket or can I take the bolts out and seal them. This machine is not going to be worked much lol, its mainly for grooming our race track and playing with so I don't need it to be perfect lol, but leaks do bug me.

Thanks
Randy

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
If I remember right that machine has a wet sump meaning that the housing is full of oil. In any case you should replace the gasket and put sealant on the bolt threads. Be careful when pulling the pump because if it is a wet sump you may get an oil bath.

Cat_man320

Just something to be aware of Randy , Make sure the back axle got steering stops to keep from over steering . if you turn the wheels too far , you can break the steering knuckles or pop out the large ball bearings that act as universals . I broke mine a few times before I figured out what was wrong . My wheels were steering too far as in a fork lift and popping out the ball bearings. Just something to keep in mind and check when you get a chance .

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Nice looking old machine. And Detroit powered also. Great for us Detroit fans and easy to get engine parts for. Have fun with it.

Randy v.b.

Just something to be aware of Randy , Make sure the back axle got steering stops to keep from over steering . if you turn the wheels too far , you can break the steering knuckles or pop out the large ball bearings that act as universals . I broke mine a few times before I figured out what was wrong . My wheels were steering too far as in a fork lift and popping out the ball bearings. Just something to keep in mind and check when you get a chance .

Thank you for the heads up. She doesn't steer very sharp at all and I see where the stops are so I think I'm good there. Only problems I am having is getting fluid from the master cylinder for the brakes and a leak around one of the bolts in the pump on the back of the torque converter housing

Randy v.b.

Nice looking old machine. And Detroit powered also. Great for us Detroit fans and easy to get engine parts for. Have fun with it.

Ya I was happy when I see the old Detroit in er, damn tough old motors.. We have had them in our boats in the past and they are a good motor, little leaky, alot noisy, but tough as nails. I changed all the fuel and air filters on er and she purrs like a kitten. Next for a oil change. Does the motor have a dry sump? I see the oil pump looks like its on the outside of the motor with lots of hoses and tanks lol.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Ya I was happy when I see the old Detroit in er, damn tough old motors.. We have had them in our boats in the past and they are a good motor, little leaky, alot noisy, but tough as nails. I changed all the fuel and air filters on er and she purrs like a kitten. Next for a oil change. Does the motor have a dry sump? I see the oil pump looks like its on the outside of the motor with lots of hoses and tanks lol.

Pump on the outside of engine is most likely for steering or something else. Follow the lines to see where they go. Don't think Detroits were ever built with "Dry Sumps" not that it would be impossible, but very unlikely!

Randy v.b.

I didn't think they made a dry sump either but this is a oil pump for sure. The hoses go right into the base pan. Ill see if i can get some pics later on. If its a oddball I would be the one to get it lol.

Cat_man320

Ok . The top pic is definitely a pump , trace back the pressure line and see where it goes. I suspect the loader has steering actuated ram on your steering drag link . What happens is when you turn the steering wheel it actuates a hydraulic valve down on the drag link helping you turn the wheels . It may not be like that but that's what my Michigan 55 was like .
The second pic is your master cylinder attached to what looks like a vacuum tank . Does the loader have a compressor ? if not , looks like vacuum assists the brakes . if no vacuum you will not be able to bleed the brakes as there is nothing to push the master cylinder rod out . hope you understand what I'm talking about . Easy for me to type stuff that I've known about for 50 years but not so easy to understand if your just learning lol .
Not really sure what the third pic is but it looks like another kind of vacuum tank . If no compressor , that the brakes are vacuum assisted .

Randy v.b.

I traced back to lines from the pump. The line from the pump goes to the canister in the second pic which has the master cylinder looking thing on it. The copper line that comes off of that goes to a oil pressure gauge. The other rubber hose that comes of the canister in the second pic goes into the canister in the third pic. Then out of that canister and back to the motor. The forth pic is just the opposite side of the canister in the second pic. On the bottom of the pump there is a short hose that goes into the bottom side of the base pan. The loader just had a single line master cylinder with nothing else on it. I have a couple of the old parts books for the loader but there no help, they just show the parts with a part number by them. I'll see if I can get a few more detailed pictures when it's daylight. I'll see if I can get a few more detailed pictures when it's daylight. I very much appreciate the help.

Randy

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Here is a few pics of the pump and whats hooked to it.

View attachment 144020

That thing with BENDIX on it is a vacuum pump for the vacuum booster your master cylinder is mounted on is the second picture. The thing that looks like a recycled coffee can is a vacuum reservoir very similar to what Ford used on pick up trucks back many years ago.

Did a quick GOOGLE on the vacuum pump and found this:
http://http://www.powerbrake-drivetrain.com/bendix-type-convac-vacuum-pump-pb-2513134-r/

And this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Bendix-Convac-Vacuum-Pump-OEM-Ford-C8HZ-2A451-A-/400932408233

Last edited: