• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New to me dozer/operation

One guy construction

Occupation
Owner/Welder, Hobby Land management
Hello all, I got a 2007 D6N with 3400 hours on it, 2500 were ideleing, machine is like new. I will be using it at my cabin to clear land and improve/make roads. Any advice on what not to do/rookie mistakes? I have been using my 259D and my 314C on my projects so far, but my projects have been growing larger and larger. I got the machine right and figured it should last a lifetime at my place with proper use/care. These are only hobbie past times for me so i am no professional or plan to be. For me these are diesel therapy LOL. Current project right now is 6 acre i just had clear cut. Using excavator to rip out stumps and moving debris with 259 and grapple bucket. I was still planning on using 314 to remove stumps and the d6 to push piles and level field. D6 does have winch and forestry package on it. Hope to have machine delivered next week. any advice is much appreciated.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I guess the first question is do you have an Operation & Maintenance Manual, or will one come with the machine..? There is a pocket in the back of the seat where it's supposed to live but there is no guarantee one will actually be there.
If you don't have a manual it contains a lot of useful information and can be downloaded online for about $45.

One guy construction

Occupation
manual is with the machine, The owner will be delivering it and spend a few hours with me on it. I was looking for the donts like maybe dont try to push stumps with corner of blade, or dont try to push and turn at same time. Kinda like the things that maybe should be common sense that might not be in the manual. Things like when some one helps me and they want to run the CTL I tell them "This isnt a dozer". Just looking looking for ideas not to do with the D6. I may be over thinking it all, just dont want to cause issues with it from dumb mistakes...
Thanks again

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The previous owner will tell you or show you how to feather the blade on a start cut, try to get good at that as making shallower continuous cuts is better than trying to shove the whole pile at once.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Smooth Even Consistant Cuts........ An old operator said those 4 words to me on about my second or third day of running a dozer. That was over 20 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.

One other little thing that comes to mind..... When I'm doing finish work I like to have a little pile of crumbs to start each push with. It just seems like it looks alot nicer than when I start each push with an empty blade. Just my $.02

One guy construction

Occupation
Well i was finally able to make the schedule work to get my new to me D6N delivered yesterday. When weather gets better and i have time i will start some small projects. This is not a for hire unit. Just have alot of projects to do at my place. "Diesel therapy"
As always thanks again for the input.

Attachments

• d6.jpg
    d6.jpg
    952.4 KB · Views: 46