• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New-to-Me 1845C -- questions, etc

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Nice job & quick thinkin..
I was wondering, why did u leave the bolt so long?? Does it hit/operate a switch.?
If not, change out the bolt & double nut it to keep it in-place.
& when ur plowin'.. ALWAYS push the snow to the NORTH.. we like our temps down here in the 60's during the winter months.. Lol

Dmoneyallstar

You mean my bolt with the linch pin? I didn't have any battery left in my cutoff saw, lol. And it was 1am.

Pushing this week's snow south, sorry. My first winter with a plow and a steer, so the kids are getting a gigantic snow pile for forts and sledding in the yard. 5400 sf of driveway and a stiff wind here, so it will be a mountainous heap. #CoolDad

Dmoneyallstar

Ready to work. The aux hydro pedal works perfectly. Bled the $350 snow plow (+$200 of lines, cross-over and fittings), put some PTFE shoes on the plow pads, and everything works nice n easy.

Bought a new block heater since one I had was dead. But just needed to replace the cord. The female contacts in the business end of the cord were rotted.

Love this machine! ♥️

Even made enough room for the truck & steer in the barn. Bring on the snow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190119-000242.png
    Screenshot_20190119-000242.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20190118_232412.jpg
    IMG_20190118_232412.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 40

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
It's hard to tell from the pic, but your one hydraulic line might be a little short. Be careful.
Remember as you raise the arms up (like to push snow over the top of a bank), you'll have to tilt down to keep the plow level.
Or if you get stuck and tilt the plow down and use it to push yourself free.
That will take up a lot of slack in the lines. I had this problem when I ran my lines over the top of the quick attach back plate.

Here's a pic of my setup now. I ran the line through the back plate down low at the pivot point.
Now as I tilt the plow up/down, the length of hose needed stays the same. No risk of pulling a hose apart (again).
20141109_141856.jpg20141109_141916.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Dmoneyallstar,
How about you haul that 1845C over to me?
I Checked the weather forecast for Toledo and they are predicting all of 3 to 6 inches.

Near me in Syracuse they are saying 13 to 19! We could meet some where in Erie PA and I'd swap your 1845C for one of my walk-behind Ariens snow blowers!

Dmoneyallstar

Dmoneyallstar,
How about you haul that 1845C over to me?
I Checked the weather forecast for Toledo and they are predicting all of 3 to 6 inches.

Near me in Syracuse they are saying 13 to 19! We could meet some where in Erie PA and I'd swap your 1845C for one of my walk-behind Ariens snow blowers!

I'm 20min east of Toledo and we got 8-9". Nothing out here but fields, so the stiff NE wind off the lake made some 3-4' drifts. Was over 20mph from Noon yesterday to 6am this morning. Given it's only decently snowed 3 times in the last 1.5 winters, we needed some! Snowmobiles and snowplows were getting too cheap, lol.

Attachments

• snowday.jpg
    snowday.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 15

Dmoneyallstar

It's hard to tell from the pic, but your one hydraulic line might be a little short. Be careful.
Remember as you raise the arms up (like to push snow over the top of a bank), you'll have to tilt down to keep the plow level.
Or if you get stuck and tilt the plow down and use it to push yourself free.
That will take up a lot of slack in the lines. I had this problem when I ran my lines over the top of the quick attach back plate.

Here's a pic of my setup now. I ran the line through the back plate down low at the pivot point.
Now as I tilt the plow up/down, the length of hose needed stays the same. No risk of pulling a hose apart (again).

Must be an illusion in the pic. Lines are plenty long. The aux connection is on the boom. I had the plow 8-10' in the air toppling snow-piles with no issues or concerns. But appreciate the input, nevertheless. =)

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
Must be an illusion in the pic. Lines are plenty long. The aux connection is on the boom. I had the plow 8-10' in the air toppling snow-piles with no issues or concerns. But appreciate the input, nevertheless. =)

No sense having to learn the hard way, like I did.
Glad it's working well for you.

Dmoneyallstar

Got to use the plow setup a couple of times with great success. Hadn't had time to get the steel cutting edge apart and install a rubber edge. But I ended up just using steel shims on the plow feet to get about 3/16"-to-1/4" clearance and it cleans the driveway nicely. As soon as much snow builds up in front of the plow, it acts like a squeegee and cleans the surface smooth. I've got a 1/2" thick block of solid PTFE bolted to the bottom of the feet, so the plow doesn't leave any kind of marks at all on my seal-coated asphalt. Can't get much slicker than PTFE.

Had one small oil drip on a NPT fitting, but that's all. All good.

Also the new cord on the block heater has been a God-send. She gets warm quickly. Need to get the battery blanket on tonight with record low-temps coming.

Picked up a Mac-Lander 12k GVWR equipment trailer to replace my 7k car hauler. Sooooo much nicer & safer using the right trailer for the job. I don't haul the 1845c around too often, but now i can do it with confidence. Pretty sure I was about 1k overweight with the car hauler, lol.

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
Sounds like it's working well.

Just curious about the cold weather starting.
Do you park outside?
Do you have ether start?
What temp do you start using the block heater?

I always though mine took more cranking than it should in colder weather.
But I've got nothing to compare too.

btodd230

Got to use the plow setup a couple of times with great success. Hadn't had time to get the steel cutting edge apart and install a rubber edge. But I ended up just using steel shims on the plow feet to get about 3/16"-to-1/4" clearance and it cleans the driveway nicely. As soon as much snow builds up in front of the plow, it acts like a squeegee and cleans the surface smooth. I've got a 1/2" thick block of solid PTFE bolted to the bottom of the feet, so the plow doesn't leave any kind of marks at all on my seal-coated asphalt. Can't get much slicker than PTFE.

Also the new cord on the block heater has been a God-send. She gets warm quickly. Need to get the battery blanket on tonight with record low-temps coming.

Picked up a Mac-Lander 12k GVWR equipment trailer to replace my 7k car hauler. Sooooo much nicer & safer using the right trailer for the job. I don't haul the 1845c around too often, but now i can do it with confidence. Pretty sure I was about 1k overweight with the car hauler, lol.

Dmoneyallstar

Sounds like it's working well.

Just curious about the cold weather starting.
Do you park outside?
Do you have ether start?
What temp do you start using the block heater?

I always though mine took more cranking than it should in colder weather.
But I've got nothing to compare too.

Parked inside a pole barn.
I do have ether-start, but only use when I really need to.
Usually when it's freezing or colder, doesn't take much time to get it warm.
I also keep the battery on a trickle-charger.

Dmoneyallstar

Do you have any pictures you could post of the blade setup you are using..

It's a Meyer 7'6" plow with a quick-attach plate & braces. I bought it like that used, but the prev owner had welded a pair of tubes to keep the plow straight -- no angle cylinders. I added a pair of new 12" angle cylinders, added a cross-over relief, plumbed it up, and obviously cut the tube-stays off.steer-plow.jpg steer_plow-1.jpg steer_plow-2.jpg feet-ptfe.jpg

Dmoneyallstar

No prob.

- The cross-over is "Prince DRV-2HH Double Relief Valve, Differential Poppet, Cast Iron, 3000 psi, 30 gpm", cost me $78 on Amazon.
- Meyer plow with HD quick-attach mount was $350 for sale locally
- Angle cylinders are 1-1/2 x 10" (16-1/4" to 26-1/4" length with 5/8" pin) and were $60/ea on Amazon
- Lines and fittings for ~$175 from local Farm&Home store
- The trailer jack feet w/ pins were $10/ea from local Farm&Home store
- Blocks of PTFE were $0 scrap I had from a prev project
= just under $750 for the whole setup.

Keywords: skid steer snow plow attachment, DIY quick attach snow plow

Dmoneyallstar

Next question....

Aux hydraulics. I'm running a 50" tiller on the front. Pressing the pedal gives me slow power. But when I move the left drive hand lever "up" a tad (just short of a boom-up signal) I get full power.

Is this normal? Or is there something amiss in my flow control?

Dmoneyallstar

May have answered my own question....my old man read the sight gage on the hydraulic reservoir wrong. It was a mere 15-qt low after purging the old fluid and adding new -- that's all, LOL. There was a smudge on the sight glass and he thought it was actually showing fluid. Sump is 42-qt. Good times!!