• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New T-Mar Grapple Yarder

T-MAR

Hope these pictures work.

Until our 550 is ready (which is real soon now) this is the newest yarder - it's a 123b or a heavily upgraded Madill 123

IMG_20140826_090437.jpgIMG_20140828_083948.jpgIMG_20140829_163357.jpgIMG_20140829_175242.jpgIMG_20140829_175431.jpg

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Any chance of a basic run down of all the control for us southerners? We don't have anything like this down here.

Talking to an old timer down in Pensacola, Florida a few years ago he to told me that yarders were used years ago to skid the swamps north of Pensacola. Hopefully someone will remember and start a thread about it. He told me as a youth him and neighbor kids were hired by a local logger from time to time to help drag a light cable through the swamp to use to thread the haul cable. He said one of the fallers always went ahead looking for water moccasins.

wornout wrench

Any chance of a basic run down of all the control for us southerners? We don't have anything like this down here.

Down and dirty grapple yarder controls, madil 124 style

When sitting in the seat

Left pedal is Haulback brake
the 2 middle pedals with the levers are the travel
the 2 right pedals are the mainline brakes, close together so your foot can run both and by leaning foot one way or the other you can apply each separately ( used when opening and closing grapple)

Left joy stick is swing and possibly throttle, depends on configuration
Right joystick (the one with the white handle) is the rigging control. This is the lever that makes the grapple go in and out and tensions the cables. Middle position is neutral. Push forward one notch and the haulback engages and the grapple will start to move away from you. Keep pushing the lever forward and the Mainline regen brake will start to apply and the lines will start to tension, the farther you push ahead, the more tension on the cables. From neutral, one click back will make the grapple come back towards you, keep pulling back and the lines will tension just like when you push ahead. The buttons on the white handle will open and close the grapple.

That is it in a nutshell, way more involved then that. you need to use the foot brakes and the rigging control together to make things happen.

I'm a mechanic, I just keep these things running. When I sit in the seat I have to think about everything that I am doing. Step on this pedal, move this lever, push this button.
Then you watch a real operator and man do things move.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver

When sitting in the seat

the 2 right pedals are the mainline brakes, close together so your foot can run both and by leaning foot one way or the other you can apply each separately ( used when opening and closing grapple)

Right joystick (the one with the white handle) is the rigging control. This is the lever that makes the grapple go in and out and tensions the cables. Middle position is neutral. Push forward one notch and the haulback engages and the grapple will start to move away from you. Keep pushing the lever forward and the Mainline regen brake will start to apply and the lines will start to tension, the farther you push ahead, the more tension on the cables. From neutral, one click back will make the grapple come back towards you, keep pulling back and the lines will tension just like when you push ahead. The buttons on the white handle will open and close the grapple.

That is it in a nutshell, way more involved then that. you need to use the foot brakes and the rigging control together to make things happen.

I'm a mechanic, I just keep these things running. When I sit in the seat I have to think about everything that I am doing. Step on this pedal, move this lever, push this button.
Thanks for the low down I have never been close to one so that was great. Thanks

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler

When sitting in the seat

Does it have a main operator lever by the knee.

wornout wrench

I will see if I can find a few vids of the inside of a cab when yarding.

Here is one. Good example of the yarder and loader working together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6DC2vF3pBo

This is a short one that shows the rigging lever better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_GP_NNYTGo

This is a great vid. It is a Cypress 7280 so a little different configuration but still works the same.
Left lever is the swing, right lever is the rigging control, feet on the pedals, knee works the throttle
Thanks to Torkel and Murk for supplying the vid. Awesome footage.
A good operator makes it look easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLNvG9LiQ0c

Hope this helps you guys.
If you have never been around a grapple yarder, they are a little different from anything else you may have seen.:eek:

dirty4fun

I watched the last video he sure makes it look easy, for being so busy doesn't he. Thanks

Belooky

Okay so let me see if I'm understanding this right. Three drums on the machine? One drum has the main line. Runs all the way out to your tail hold. Second two drums, Im sure I'm wrong but this sounds right in my head, Go down to a block also on the tail hold. One line runs up the mast, all the way down to the tail hold, around the block and back to the... whatever you call the trolley the grapple is mounted to. Other drum goes up the mast and directly to the grapple? So to let the grapple down the hill one drum is spooling out and the other spooling in? Or am I way off? I'm also assuming theres atleast one if not two other cables that control the grapple?

On yarders that use a motorized carriage and chokers, there would only be the main line and a haul back correct? The weight of the carriage takes it down hill until the operator puts the brakes on the haulback to stop it right?

wornout wrench

You are correct, there are three drums.
When I was explaning how a yarder works I went really simple.

There are two mainline drums. They can be called mainline and slack puller, or closing and opening lines, there are a few other names.
For simplicity lets just stick with mainline and slackpuller.
Then there is the haulback drum.

The haulback goes from the machine to the backend of the setting, around the haulback block (sheave or pulley) then back to the machine where it is attached to the grapple.
The mainline and slackpuller lines come from the machine and attach to the grapple also.

The operator uses the haulback to haul the grapple back out to the logs, he then uses the mainline to close the grapple on the log and pull it up to the landing, using the haulback to tension the cables to create lift and get the log off the ground. Once at the machine he will open the grapple by using the slackpuller line. On the new Tmar machine, like the cypress machines before them, the mainline and the slackpuller drums will counter rotate when opening and closing.

Here is a little clip showing a better view of the grapple and lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uRhzzG2HSs
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la7lslmAsNU

I have never had anything anything to do with a carriage, so not the one to ask.

And just for you guys that have never been around logging, a quick vid about what we do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkuQXVcAGEU

Hope this helps.

prolog nz

Man she looks the part Tyson! Everybody there must be over the moon good on you and the team!

Next vid we want to see wood flying up the hill!

T-MAR