• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New style Flat Faced couplers. Good idea or problems?

Tony H

Wondering what the consenscous is on these Flat Faced couplers. The ones that are on SkidSteers as well as other machines.
Anyone having issues with these as far as hooking up attachments?
I just bought a 4:1 Bucket, I unplugged it once and the one Male coupler is will not open correctly to mate with the coupler on the tractor. I'm hoping it was a fluke, bad part and this isn't what my future holds. On the positive side: The dealer didn't hesitate to swap it out on teh negative side, I hope it's not because these are always problems

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Switched my old Bobcat 743 over to the new FF couplers 6-8 years ago. IMO, night and day difference from the old "Pioneer" style. No hyd oil dripping all over after disconnection, any dirt on the coupler can be easily wiped away.....no way I would ever go back.

Ed

Tony H

very good to hear. I hope the one bad coupler is just a very rare case. Even after depressurizing, they are a bit tough to get that last 1/8" to catch and click.
6 years ago... nice to see that history along with the happy story

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
FWIW, the couplers on the machine I had to buy from Bobcat, it was a non-standard thread to connect them to the hard mounts. The couplers for my backhoe & 4-1 are Aeroquips. Not sure what brand came on my grapple and auger but they all connect/disconnect with no problems.

Having to push hard for the last 1/8" maybe you are getting some residual pressure buildup, used to be a huge problem for me with the backhoe attachment. No way you could get those old Pioneers to hook up, had to crack a fitting and make a mess.

Ed

Tony H

the coupling part for all of these have to meet some '16028 standard' so they all interconnect but, the thread size can vary. the ones on my machine are BST (British Standard threads) while the ones I bought for my Logsplitter and sno plow are standard 1/2" NPT National Pipe thread to mate with the Hoses I bought. It would be a lot less confusing if they went that extra inch and Standardized the thread size too.

Tony H

Spending a bit of time with this machine and the FF couplers.
Engine off, moving the levers to relieve all pressure, Whew the last 1/8th inch is still impossible. I have to wonder if these couplers were designed because of some knee jerk EPA decision that doesn't want that One , Pressure releasing drop to hit the ground. They didn't think or Care that they are a bit impractical to hook up because of this No Release of pressure. . I bought a pair of couplers one split secon connecting of these loose couplers and I can easily attach my implements. I have a small plastic bucket with the couplers. no drops hit the ground and I can at least hook up my attachments.
I tried waiting a day thinking the hydro fluid would back feed or something. I disconnected my 4:1 bucket the night before I was to split wood. Next day I tried to hook up my logsplitter.. NG. a quick click on and off of the free couplers and I was in business.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
every time i try to connect them on my CAT 257 i have the same problem. Dont do it often enough to remember the trick. I know my mower deck has a check valve in it, and if you spin the blades the wrong way, you start building pressure.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
You guys apparently dont know that they are available in a connect under pressure design as well.

http://www.hydraulicwarehouse.com/pc-400-167-iso-16028-males-for-connection-under-pressure.aspx

In the above link: "HCP Series Male Couplings will connect, by hand, with static pressure up to 350 bar (5,075 psi) locked in the male half, without releasing any fluid to the environment. The hose line to the female must be at zero pressure. Dimensionally compliant with ISO 16028." Reminds me of junior high school Health Class...

Last edited:

Tony H

I don't think Pressue is te issue.. I have the Engine off, I Move the levers back and forth to relieve pressure. I believe it's just that the attachment is full of fluid and so is the on the tractor. Trying to push a connector into another connector when is full of fluid.. it wont go.
Jim D interesting you mention the Female hose line. That is the one that is really a bear. The Female on the tractor will absolutely not let me push on teh male connector..
I'll have to look at teh link that CUTTING EDGE sent

Tony H

You guys apparently dont know that they are available in a connect under pressure design as well.

http://www.hydraulicwarehouse.com/pc-400-167-iso-16028-males-for-connection-under-pressure.aspx

OK looking at these, Do I put these on my tractor so they attach easy or do I have to buy at least the male end for each attachment? There is something in reading of these where they state no pressure can be pressent on one line. ""The hose line to the female must be at zero pressure. ""
Not sure how to configure the Tractor OR attachments to buy the least amount of these and still have it work.

Sirius

We've seen threaded locking quick connects on Grove GMK cranes for a while and have never had a problem with them. Recently however on a Domestic RT9130E where they used a cheaper latch type couple, we had the case drain line off the Aux hoist motor vibrate loose or enough to restrict the flow and in turn cracked the motor housing. Now we swap them for the locking type.