• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New stuff

Truck Shop

Worked readying 7 new tractors today, I mainly installed the new QualComs-E-log on the dashes.

But I did notice a rather odd object attached to the top of the steering boxes--A computer controlled Servo.
Incorporated into the lane change avoidance system--Self correcting steering when vehicle comes to close
to other vehicles on the road. I have a call in with a service manager to discuss it's operation, he looked up
the last six of the vin then tells me the truck went into service 11-2-20 and he knew nothing about the new
steering, except that servo unit as far as he could tell wasn't even in a DC yet but it did have a price tag of
$6,300. And the steering gear is special to that system with a hefty price tag.

And people don't think driverless trucks will ever happen, other than a GPS guidance system needed also
this is getting pretty close.

I kind of like it-I'm more up and techno geek than the rest.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Worked readying 7 new tractors today, I mainly installed the new QualComs-E-log on the dashes.

But I did notice a rather odd object attached to the top of the steering boxes--A computer controlled Servo.
Incorporated into the lane change avoidance system--Self correcting steering when vehicle comes to close
to other vehicles on the road. I have a call in with a service manager to discuss it's operation, he looked up
the last six of the vin then tells me the truck went into service 11-2-20 and he knew nothing about the new
steering, except that servo unit as far as he could tell wasn't even in a DC yet but it did have a price tag of
$6,300. And the steering gear is special to that system with a hefty price tag.

And people don't think driverless trucks will ever happen, other than a GPS guidance system needed also
this is getting pretty close.

I kind of like it-I'm more up and techno geek than the rest.
Rigs like mine just went in value to people like me and up in value to insurance rates for not having such junk. Wonder how long before one can hack it with laptop and steer it anywhere it shouldn't be.
We are handing ourselves to terrorist and a police state.

Truck Shop

Actually your a little bit wrong there spud, the insurance companies give a break on premiums with the lane change avoidance systems. Insurance companies like it. And for those
older rigs with manual transmissions-70 plus percent of the new rigs coming off the assembly line are AMT-transmissions. The day of the manual gear box is coming to an end
whether people like it or not. The sales in re-manufactured manual transmissions have dropped a few notches and as time goes by those will be harder to get and the price will
get stupid for the ones that remain. Eaton will probably do as they have done in the past and start grinding up the cores because they want to sell new.

Truck Shop

If it's a RTLO I would, the old non low inertia like RTO146 and down I would let the chipper have them. Most of those cases are worn out anyway. The price will drop then slowly climb
a way's down the road. But replacement parts are going to increase aftermarket or oem. The dealer we just bought this last seven from just placed a order for 5 AMT end dumps.
like I say it's coming to and end slowly for manual gear boxes.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Actually your a little bit wrong there spud, the insurance companies give a break on premiums with the lane change avoidance systems. Insurance companies like it. And for those
older rigs with manual transmissions-70 plus percent of the new rigs coming off the assembly line are AMT-transmissions. The day of the manual gear box is coming to an end
whether people like it or not. The sales in re-manufactured manual transmissions have dropped a few notches and as time goes by those will be harder to get and the price will
get stupid for the ones that remain. Eaton will probably do as they have done in the past and start grinding up the cores because they want to sell new.
No I was correct, it's what I meant is those without a lane change avoidance system our premiums and such will go up! Guess I'm going to hoard the largest RTLO's I can find cause eventually for sh!ts and grins I will have the largest manual Cummins one can shove in a semi or couple of them with most power one squeeze out of them without hurting longevity.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I understand the reason for moving away from full manual transmissions, it seemed all I ever operated had one thing or another wrong with them from ham fisted operators or maybe from my own ham fistedness.

But I would be interested to learn what are the drawbacks of old fashioned clutch and converter based transmissions (Allison). Are they less efficient than AMT type transmissions so not used in line haul? Or is it just a matter of no crossover between one market segment and another (vocational vs line haul). I did hear that there was a propane transport fleet that uses Allison transmission in their OTR sleeper equipped semis but I don't know if it's true.

Truck Shop

No I was correct

Yes you are, I miss read that.

I understand the reason for moving away from full manual transmissions, it seemed all I ever operated had one thing or another wrong with them from ham fisted operators or maybe from my own ham fistedness.

But I would be interested to learn what are the drawbacks of old fashioned clutch and converter based transmissions (Allison). Are they less efficient than AMT type transmissions so not used in line haul? Or is it just a matter of no crossover between one market segment and another (vocational vs line haul). I did hear that there was a propane transport fleet that uses Allison transmission in their OTR sleeper equipped semis but I don't know if it's true.

I think for the most part it's fuel mileage plus the fact that the big manufactures want to sell a truck with all of their components, Our Freightliners are Freightliner from front to back.
The first six Freightliner AMT's had some glitches but the rest have run without a single issue. I only have two trucks left to take care of that have manual gearboxes. And as for the
drive axles we have never had a single issue on over 65 tractors.

We will see how the steering system goes.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It's called "vertical integration" and it's what happened with Kenworth and Peterbilt and drove the Cat truck engines off the market. The move is for cradle to grave control of the product line on everything from bearings to steering wheels to lights and drive train parts. There are a few laws in place to prevent that scenario for the time being, but as automated systems increasingly come on line, manufacturers will use safety as an aspect of forcing the little people out of the game. Automation is not far away.

Truck Shop

It's called "vertical integration" and it's what happened with Kenworth and Peterbilt and drove the Cat truck engines off the market. The move is for cradle to grave control of the product line on everything from bearings to steering wheels to lights and drive train parts. There are a few laws in place to prevent that scenario for the time being, but as automated systems increasingly come on line, manufacturers will use safety as an aspect of forcing the little people out of the game. Automation is not far away.

From what I have seen in the last five years it's moving at a rapid rate. If doesn't have a sensor today
it will tomorrow.

Truck Shop

I ferried one of the new tractors from the dealer back to the shop today, I tested it and my hunch was correct it has corrective steering incorporated with the lane change avoidance system.
It only worked at highway speed-the slowest I tried was 45. As soon as you get close to the fog line on right side there is a audible and you can feel the steering wheel tug to the left slightly.
On cruise it's a little more pronounced. I tried it letting it drift to the right in a corner, it steered it's self back to center of lane, there is also a warning in the main menu cluster that lights up
if you take your hands off the wheel even for a split second, first a audible tone then it says {Hands on wheel}. I believe the ambient temperature sensor will shut off the corrective steering
when ice could be present.

Below is a photo of the steering box with corrective steering apparatus.

100_1562.JPG 100_1563.JPG

Truck Shop

To go with the other new stuff-----Some things I have been keeping track of on 25 of our latest tractors. And this is averaged over 12.5 million miles on combined tractors
Greaseless u-joints--have only lost one and it was covered under warranty which is good for 450,000 miles.
Rear drive axles-Center section--Haven't lost one or had issues .
Automated Manual Transmissions---Haven't had a internal failure, wiring harness yes have had a few issues. And those were covered under warranty.

One reason things are lasting longer is the human is taken out of the picture. The AMT gear boxes shift quicker and smoother no grinding no forced shifts, The trans will only shift
when told to by ecm taking out human error, there is no one side stepping/dumping the clutch shock loading the drive train, no heavy footed throttle action. No screwed up down
shifts no missed gears. The power divider is taking way less abuse.