• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new ride

skyking1

that tower and you probably had some decent winds, so the clouds are scooting by too. That would be a bit vertigo-creating.
The remodel looks great. I just watched the gotcha video that thing is slick.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Tradesman What was the lattice tower to be used for? Seems awfully close to the water tower for any radio usage without interference.
It’s an internet tower they are pretty well line of sight towers. I work directly with the owner of the emerging company, he provides excellent service to our rural community

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
that tower and you probably had some decent winds, so the clouds are scooting by too. That would be a bit vertigo-creating.
The remodel looks great. I just watched the gotcha video that thing is slick.
Oh ya! I was sure I was falling over.
I put some equipment in the top of a silo a few weeks ago,it was a windy day but not so bad that I couldn’t do it except I had to get them to move the skids of parts because the wind was swirling around the silo and shaking my boom violently when I would return to the pile. I told them I wasn’t going back to that side of the silo again.

skyking1

Natman can attest to it, but the downwind side of a mountain is a b*****d in a high wind too. Many times I have taken people for a mount Rainier and St Helens airplane ride, around 3 sides of each mountain. They would ask about that other side and I would say there is nothing over there worth the ride to see!

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Nice day for putting steel on, -15 c, at least there where no flies buzzing around. The day I set the trusses on this house the temperature was similar. The week before a washer had worn through the plastic on my diesel tank for the Espar heater so no problem I got a new tank and installed it, except somehow I ended up with water in the small rubber hose and it froze on the way to the job. I spent 6 hours sitting in a -15 cab when I was done instead of staying and helping my crew I went home.
81277BC5-8F16-4322-A4DB-40DB2BAAF02D.jpeg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I’m looking to have these built likely out of aluminum but if they are too spendy I might consider steel. Any thoughts would be appreciatedC50F20B8-F3A0-4BAF-BD55-D7D5B4508CE8.pngD41E100A-27CC-4608-8FD7-517A2FF4AAFE.png

Natman

Long after you forget about the extra cost for having them made out of aluminum (assuming you can't find any stock sizes that meet your needs) you will appreciate them not rusting, ever. You have steel wheels, or aluminum? Thought so. I would NOT powder coat them, if you go steel, it's easy and looks great, but after a while..... I've seen too much powder coating looking good, until a piece flakes off and you see rust underneath. One thing keeping me from getting a 40 ton boom truck (besides the wider outrigger span) is all the underbed space taken up by tag axles etc. You and me, with out little bit of counterweight and 20' span, have the hot set for residential truss work I think.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Long after you forget about the extra cost for having them made out of aluminum (assuming you can't find any stock sizes that meet your needs) you will appreciate them not rusting, ever. You have steel wheels, or aluminum? Thought so. I would NOT powder coat them, if you go steel, it's easy and looks great, but after a while..... I've seen too much powder coating looking good, until a piece flakes off and you see rust underneath. One thing keeping me from getting a 40 ton boom truck (besides the wider outrigger span) is all the underbed space taken up by tag axles etc. You and me, with out little bit of counterweight and 20' span, have the hot set for residential truss work I think.
They will be custom built. Ya I made the mistake of having something powder coated, never again, just like you said it got chipped up and seemed to rust faster than normal. My rims are all aluminum.

crane operator

Are you going up on the deck behind your job boxes? Or getting rid of the job boxes and these go in their place?

Personally, I like my wood under the fenders if I can, because we throw wood a lot, and I hate lifting it any higher than I have to. You've got a lot of stuff under your fenders though- so maybe you don't have room there.

I've never had one with the wood rack on the rear of the crane, behind the outrigger box, my national has the outrigger controls on the rear, and if your manitex has them there, that's a no go for a rear wood box.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Are you going up on the deck behind your job boxes? Or getting rid of the job boxes and these go in their place?

Personally, I like my wood under the fenders if I can, because we throw wood a lot, and I hate lifting it any higher than I have to. You've got a lot of stuff under your fenders though- so maybe you don't have room there.

I've never had one with the wood rack on the rear of the crane, behind the outrigger box, my national has the outrigger controls on the rear, and if your manitex has them there, that's a no go for a rear wood box.
The job box’s are going and both new boxes will have to be on the deck. If you zoom in you can see I have gotten rid of all my laminated plywood ( very heavy) pads an replaced the with ash 46” x 4x6 it was an immediate improvement of quality of life, and a lot more versatile. The big driver behind my change in box’s is to not have to put multiple ratchet straps on my dunnage and just have to latch a door. 4CA8BCE2-681E-42B5-863E-33CFE44E24D6.jpeg

Natman

I use 36" sections of 12 " Micro Lam, along with some 4" x 6" hardwood (Wisconsin hardwood, the previous owners included them!) I use two, flat, and alternate them if using multiple layers. I have found this to be "less work" and more versatile then fewer but heavier pad solutions. I get the Micro's scraps for free, but that isn't why I use them, they work. 4 under bed inclined racks, all stainless steel no less, no securing necessary. Port of Entry people look, along with troopers, and in the last 10 years only one told me to put a bungee on them.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Going to put a lid on it to keep the snow/ rain/ sun off of it?
No it’s in a heated shop when not being worked so I want it open so it can dry out between uses. There are the same oblong shaped holes on all side to allow air to flow and let the dirt out the bottom. I also have plastic riser strips on the bottom for additional air movement.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
The biggest look outs I’ve ever seen. 12” LVL 8 ft. Lookouts. They were hard for the framers to secure, as I would set them down they wanted to slide down the roof. We raftered the entire roof with wood I rafters.
AB7BC9DB-CC55-4A2D-8FA7-FBE714CF3C40.jpeg
Can you tell there was a high priced Architec involved on this building. It’s going to be a brewery.
2CFF2986-572D-452C-9F9A-EADDF4519062.jpeg

0DA23904-8719-4EDD-8B28-B72BE66B0DD3.jpeg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
This is a church renovation we just finished. We added an elevator, accessible washroom and modernized the front lobby as seen in the picture. The new double door are to be installed soon
ACF9A501-4AF0-4569-9F77-0D368E35FC58.jpeg
I saw this guy working on the house next to the one I was setting trusses on. It would make a good picture to add a caption to.
4552EB0B-471F-4923-880F-F5930006DD85.jpeg
Our transportation to the ice fishing hut. I can’t remember the year of it possibly manufactured in the 1930’s and fully restored two years ago.
9A5B88EB-1DB9-4BA5-842E-613756A9BFF7.jpeg

skyking1

those knees on the upside of the shed are cool!
I am designing now and had planned on kneeing my shed overhang, rather than stick the TJI joist out there and boxing it in. I personally see no reason to do those lookouts like that, I would kick some protected knees out there and frame it up with lighter stuff.
My big gripe is knees and beams that put wood out in weather to rot. It is either flashed or more better, recessed so it is not exposed to begin with.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I inherited a timber framer from one of my retiring competitors. I did two of these gable bents in one week for him.
87ED1D1A-0435-40D3-955D-94B3AA963723.jpeg
I had this picture sent to me buy my building supplier. Guys out of the city putting roofing supplies on a new building, apparently it sat there for a couple days before the rescued it.
5D491328-036E-42F8-BBBD-F7576BD2CEFB.jpeg