• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new ride

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Lol I grew up Amish. Always funny when they're talking to respond in German. Usually get a good reaction once they pick their jaws up off the ground.
My wife speaks some German as well and has done the same. She was sometimes a little surprised by their conversations.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
image.jpgimage.jpg
This is what 5 hours can do to a 80'x24' silo. I used a pallet fork to bring down 34 staves at time on wooden skids

Knepptune

Also I like their hammer. How much does that chunk of concrete weigh. And how do they get it up to the top. Kinda like a Derrick?

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
They use a hydraulic jack platform with a full deck .
They use the same plat form and deric for putting up the silo as well. For tearing down they used the deric to lower the rings and sections of the centre platform tower.
There is no hammer they just undo they bands and give each stave a shake and off they come. This is the first time we have done this, they have always just thrown the stave's down into a pile of sand, they said this saved a lot of time and was much safer.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Also I like their hammer. How much does that chunk of concrete weigh. And how do they get it up to the top. Kinda like a Derrick?
The picture is telling a lie that looks like a chunk of concrete under the Derrick but that's just part of the silo and the emty deric is behind it.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Well I see. Shows how much I know.
I wasn't being rude, after I read your post I looked at the picture and it does look like a large block of concrete hooked to the derrick. I would never be rude to anyone on this sight I need the help to much :rolleyes:

Knepptune

Shoot I didn't think you were being rude at all. Don't worry a bit. It really takes quite a lot to bother me.

It sure did look like a big concrete hammer to me. Lol

Everytime I've been involved in taking down a silo it's taken a man basket and two guys with sledge hammer knocking it into itself.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I had two jobs today, they where complete opposites,the first one was for three young guys doing a small storage shed. Thier skills where maybe not fully developed yet but they where hard working guys hustling and doing a good job, grabbing the truss and pulling it into place, making my job real easy. The second job was for some older guys all excellent carpenters but made a real long day for me, it was like they where trying to make it hard, sticking 2x4's out six feet, getting me to boom out before I was slewed all the way in then I'd have too boom back up and hold the load with three straps fed throught the truss " ARG", every time we changed trusses and roof sections I would have to get out of the cab and show the guy on the tag line how to feed the truss into the roof line. But any day in the cab of that crane is a good one

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
IMG_0404.jpg
Four new 10 ft. red round slings, my everyday 10 ft. Nylon sling are showing their age so I blew the budget and got these I have some water valves to set for the town on Wednesday they should be really nice for that. They are so pretty I don't want to use them:D

Knepptune

I love new rigging. Hate using it for the first time. Those endless slings are nice. I like those a lot better then regular straps.

crane operator

Nice looking rigging. Just out of curiosity- why red's? 4 of those is kind of overkill for your crane isn't it? 13,000 per strap x4=52,000 (I know your not picking that:D). Shoot, even 2 is 26,000, which is probably more than your usually picking isn't it?

I'm not trying to be critical, its just I only run a set of 4 greens (5k per leg) in my 2 smaller cranes- all 4 will get me to 20,000. If I have to do a single leg 10k pick, I'll just basket one of them. My next bigger cranes, I only run up to 3/4" cable chokers, 10k per leg, and I regularly pick up to 40,000 with it. I've got some blue's that are good for 20,000 per leg, but they live in my 70 ton's support trailer, once in a great while I'll bring them with the 35 or rt if I have a 2 leg, single spreader bar pick, over 20k, but that's kind of rare.

I probably wouldn't keep something that big with you all the time. Leave them at the shop, and only take them if you know you need them. Smaller is cheaper, and they do always seem to get snagged. Otherwise someones borrowing them out of the box, when your not looking, to move the truss pile with their forklift (I've come back from lunch to witness that- they bought some new straps for me- they kept the ones they "borrowed" and snagged up).

I do like buying 4 at a time though, that way you have a nice matching set.

I do also like roundups when rigging odd shaped items. I also get a bang out of seeing guys trying to figure out how to use them, if they haven't been around roundups before.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I wanted them for this week and my supplier had four of these that I could have yesterday and only two of the yellow that I usually get, they where about 25 percent more, witch didn't turn into a lot of dollars. I also thought of that occasional time when you have a single engineered lift point. ( still likely overkill, but they are red and really purdy.)

Last edited:

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Nice looking rigging. Just out of curiosity- why red's? 4 of those is kind of overkill for your crane isn't it? 13,000 per strap x4=52,000 (I know your not picking that:D). Shoot, even 2 is 26,000, which is probably more than your usually picking isn't it?

Your 100% correct biggest pick I've ever done is 18,000#

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Guess we're just lucky. Next week it's supposed to be near 20* C ( around 70* F )