• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new ride

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I have a new addition to my tool box, a remote controlled sling release. I haven’t got to use it yet “ so pictures to follow “
289DC884-7F3C-4728-85EA-1B29D621408D.jpeg
new set of boxes, I couldn’t find a safe spot for the sling release 65743444-57A1-4EE1-865C-6416D7D32576.jpeg
633C531D-930E-4056-B648-F74F1AC78F88.jpeg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
This myself and the framer self distancing.
6B5D0B1D-8106-4B74-8046-B054B6851861.jpeg
This isn’t so bad when your paid by the hour, I put 4 trusses through this 10” space and I had to stop them from adding another strap that would of closed it off completely.
1D6C2EFB-7B6A-40A1-AD6E-6BC5B1DDB514.jpeg
This is what I was up to today. First new house start for 2020.
6B0FFEFC-7626-48DF-8A87-A5B278C6778B.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have to give you boys credit where due, keep the mechanisms nice and tidy, much better than the lackey's I saw as contractors at the old workplace, drop and stuff was their typical work method to put stuff away. Very cool to see how a better class does it. That last pic, are the foundations usually that shallow there? Looks a 8 foot pour which most here no longer do as end up a 7-7'6" max headroom height.

Most wall work here they will no longer allow the full height studs without Fire Stop blocking as tend to Chimney any lower floor flames. How do they adapt to that up North Country?

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Have to give you boys credit where due, keep the mechanisms nice and tidy, much better than the lackey's I saw as contractors at the old workplace, drop and stuff was their typical work method to put stuff away. Very cool to see how a better class does it. That last pic, are the foundations usually that shallow there? Looks a 8 foot pour which most here no longer do as end up a 7-7'6" max headroom height.

Most wall work here they will no longer allow the full height studs without Fire Stop blocking as tend to Chimney any lower floor flames. How do they adapt to that up North Country?
Most of our foundations are 9’ budget was getting tight on this one, I am putting an extra sole plate on so we’ll get him 7’9”. those are tall walls, so 17 foot ceilings in that corner, if you look closely there are three rows of fire blocking to stop the drafting effect your referring to.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The codes here got seriously stupid on Fire Breaks and Blocks, local guy that built my Barn, Shop and House is building a Shouse south of here right at an hour away, showed me the plans before all the crap broke loose where the requirement was a series of 2 separator blocks just at Floor Joist bottom edge(one for a fire stop the other for sheetrock nailer) then a fill of a fire retardant material the lumber yard had to special order and a pair of blocks set just above the joist line. Being as started with a Pole Building they had other special instructions and decrees as to Fire control, limited use of Treated materials in the residence area and other issues. Basically doubled the cost of the place from initial designs.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The codes here got seriously stupid on Fire Breaks and Blocks, local guy that built my Barn, Shop and House is building a Shouse south of here right at an hour away, showed me the plans before all the crap broke loose where the requirement was a series of 2 separator blocks just at Floor Joist bottom edge(one for a fire stop the other for sheetrock nailer) then a fill of a fire retardant material the lumber yard had to special order and a pair of blocks set just above the joist line. Being as started with a Pole Building they had other special instructions and decrees as to Fire control, limited use of Treated materials in the residence area and other issues. Basically doubled the cost of the place from initial designs.

Yah government..:rolleyes::mad:

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
ACCCE5AB-2F2F-4AC3-AFB9-921825EC2172.jpeg
I have had great reviews from my clients on the remote release. It sounds a buzzer before it releases then there is a pretty good click as it clears the sling off the hook and almost everyone looks up in amazement, none of them have ever seen anything like it before. What I am finding “ at least initially “ is that the good high production crews it really speeds things up and the slower less production crews it makes very little difference they’re just a bit safer. When I was considering it’s purchase I was a little concerned that I could be costing myself revenue, but so far it looks like I’m going to do better on my 4 hour minimum charge, going home or to another job sooner, and the larger complexed roofs are still going to take some time.
Ps. The house in the picture is one I set the trusses on 5 years ago, it suffered a fire recently.

Natman

Where is the button for the release, and how is it set up to be convenient yet safe? Congrats on pushing the envelope, I think you said earlier it was about 5K cost?

I was the first, and still only, in my area to have a wireless remote (on my 17 ton Terex boom truck), and the customer response was interesting. Most didn't fully appreciate the fact it cost me 14 K, and how it improved things, all they really care about is the bottom line, the bill. I would have one on my National, but apparently that is not possible, unless you permanently lose the free swing/foot brake feature. Besides, I like sitting down too much now, spoiled.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I found out how dirty my top window was today.
I put up this internet tower today, good job I was doing it in the blind because between the sun and my dirty window I couldn’t of seen anyway
640331F3-DE11-403E-8448-239A56E0F173.jpeg
Not just the scenery I’m used to but interesting.
158DF370-BF71-491D-A02B-18BE0750C7D4.jpeg
I had to set up a 61 ft. so I had to hook just above 1/2 way on a fourty ft. piece
15F64A39-704C-4ED7-95D2-9B41D3E20403.jpeg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
A little thunder head moving in, we didn’t get a drop of rain out of that cloud.
A7858540-C908-4010-86A5-E47B38641793.jpeg
I got a call from a competitor on Thursday he had set this pool the evening before and the pool guys had the grade off by 5”. He couldn’t make it so gave me a call, I picked it up swung it out of the way and the crew regraded it, only this time the home owners where there making sure every stone was in place.
77943570-169E-4DD6-98F3-DD844963375D.jpeg

Natman

The pools I set don't use stiffeners, a spreader bar set to the pool width makes them unnecessary.
I looked close to see if you crammed all those slings into your load hook....., and see you didn't/did it the right way, by using a large shackle. Why the oval load ring though? Maybe because, like the large shackle I use for gathering sling ends, that large shackle pin is too big a dia. to fit thru the gate of my load hook? I will steal that idea, as that looks a bit more convenient then having to hold the big shackle, with slings already in it, up to the load hook while then screwing in the pin. With the load ring, you can just hook it up as usual as it will fit thru the gate. I get tired of having to explain to others "that big shackle won't fit the hook, don't try," it usually takes me jumping out of the cab and showing them how I want it done.

I'm glad I saw your pic, I have another pool job Tuesday, and will use both my spreader bar and now the big shackle/load ring combo.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
;)
The pools I set don't use stiffeners, a spreader bar set to the pool width makes them unnecessary.
I looked close to see if you crammed all those slings into your load hook....., and see you didn't/did it the right way, by using a large shackle. Why the oval load ring though? Maybe because, like the large shackle I use for gathering sling ends, that large shackle pin is too big a dia. to fit thru the gate of my load hook? I will steal that idea, as that looks a bit more convenient then having to hold the big shackle, with slings already in it, up to the load hook while then screwing in the pin. With the load ring, you can just hook it up as usual as it will fit thru the gate. I get tired of having to explain to others "that big shackle won't fit the hook, don't try," it usually takes me jumping out of the cab and showing them how I want it done.

I'm glad I saw your pic, I have another pool job Tuesday, and will use both my spreader bar and now the big shackle/load ring combo.
I’ve only done two pools and both of them came on the truck with stiffeners and engineered lifting point “ just like they describe it in the books along with level well compacted soil”;) I like the oval link, it puts a straight vertical pull on, and I don’t have to worry about the slings loading the tip of my hook. And I bought all this stuff so I like to whip it out when I get the chance.