• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new ride

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I use my 8'x 1/2" steel around the core, to my 4-1/2" x12' steel with hooks on them. No need to drag 16' through and around. 8' cheaper to replace when they go bad. The bigger slabs in the bigger cranes I still use the 1/2" around the core, but my 5/8" or 3/4" spreaders with hooks instead because I don't have the smaller hook spreaders on those cranes.

I've never used poly/nylon on core slabs. I suppose you could use those plastic corner protectors or softners (belting or firehose) to protect the straps, but that takes a lot of time.
Thanks. I have some 1/2” x 10’ that I use on steel I guess I could use them and save a few bucks because first time I use those new 5/8” they would be kinked up. The steel would likely bight in pretty good too. The reason I was thinking 16’ was so that they are long enough that I only need to use two spreaders ( 20 ft roundies) I have told the guys I set for NO MORE 40 footers. I’m in chart but I have to set up so close there isn’t much room for error and last time I did the 40’ footers they let one drift into my out rigger. I used four spreaders for the bigger slabs

crane operator

40' precast would be tough with your rig. Its okay with just a couple slabs to set if you can be close, but if you had a bunch to do, its just not enough. I've set a couple condo buildings with my 70 ton, and one building with the customers 90 ton.

I did part of one building with my RT, but the solid slabs on the porches/decks are a real handful with it.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
40' precast would be tough with your rig. Its okay with just a couple slabs to set if you can be close, but if you had a bunch to do, its just not enough. I've set a couple condo buildings with my 70 ton, and one building with the customers 90 ton.

I did part of one building with my RT, but the solid slabs on the porches/decks are a real handful with it.
Oh ya the fourties are plenty, there’s usually only six pieces to make a 24’ loft in one end of the shop I’ve done 4 buildings with 40’s and three with smaller pieces. The building I did last week was 24’ slabs for a fifty ft. Building easy peasy. The guys barred on my 4” polyester slings a couple time and put two tears in them, so it’s wire rope time. I ordered two 16’ x 1/2” today $ 32.00 a piece didn’t think that was too bad.
Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I moved this rebuilt bin onto a hopper bottom and hoisted the transfer auger into place today. This was my first time working for a feed system business. Most of the guys around here have their own boom truck and get the large cranes to do the big lifts. I did this job for a local crane company with several larger cranes. It’s nice see that my name is getting out there it’s been a long process.
531E13FA-3AFC-4D91-B76D-58BB17705B43.jpeg E7FBF6E1-0CC9-484B-BD24-A9A8F21BF420.jpeg 2623CCC6-C978-4959-BB76-AFD00EF76BD3.jpeg

crane operator

Love those pictures, that's the kind of work I grew up doing. Bins, augers mostly on farm storage, not much commercial. Looks a little chilly out though- heater work good?

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Love those pictures, that's the kind of work I grew up doing. Bins, augers mostly on farm storage, not much commercial. Looks a little chilly out though- heater work good?
That’s my biggest problem these days, finding the right setting for the heater it doesn’t have a proper thermostat just a dial with about 10 notches so I have to keep fiddling with it. THE HARDSHIP!!

Natman

When it gets into the teens here, I'll turn the heater on when I pull out of the shed, no use screwing around! Just in the 20's or 30's, I'll turn it on when letting out the winch to unhook, by the time I get my outriggers out and set up, it's toasty. The Espar uses so little fuel, why not? I have learned to overcome my feelings of guilt, watching the carpenters out in the cold wind, but I do try and not giggle out loud, they don't like that. Frankly, I am surprised not to get more static about how cushy I have it when on the jobsite, then again I'm usually double their age, at least, so they probably just feel sorry for me.

hvy 1ton

That is a lot of new tin on an old bin. I know bins are expensive, but I'm not sure that was a good investment on the customer's part.

crane operator

That’s my biggest problem these days, finding the right setting for the heater it doesn’t have a proper thermostat just a dial with about 10 notches so I have to keep fiddling with it. THE HARDSHIP!!

Its kind of funny, but I tend to have better luck regulating temp with the window than with the heater settings. Of course with the old hunter heaters you usually have all those settings of 2, high and low. And on low they sometimes don't like to keep cycling, so HI is usually the go to setting. Just move the window or door to the desired cool breeze mixture.

And on another note, be careful out there. The first one is a 2019 and didn't have 1,000 miles on it. Looks like they tried to hang a corner a little too hard and put it on its side. New rig and probably not quite used to it, with 450 hp.

The second one is a 2014 so pretty new too. It they dumped over the rear onto something, and had to cut the boom up, it was bent around pretty good.

They are both 40124's.

manitex 40 ton over on side 1.jpg manitex 40 ton over on side 2.jpg manitex tipped over 1.jpg manitex tipped over 6.jpg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Crane op. Those s pictures are heart breaking especially if it’s an owner operator, I know how I feel about mine!
I knew a guy that bought a brand knew best in class combine and the first year he used it they buried it in the mud and progressively put larger machines on it to get it out until they pulled the front axel out from under it. The reports are he never said a word to anybody he just walked to the house and shot himself, a tragic story. It was back in the early eighties when guys where going broke every day,he was a pretty progressive guy and went deep in debt for this combine.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
75FB11B4-4C80-4831-8F4E-4CF7562378C6.jpeg On a lighter note here is a picture of precious get a hot bath yesterday ( my son mockingly calls it precious)
Today I will under coat it to help fight off the rust, I enjoy winter but road salt is heck on equipment.

crane operator

That's the best wash- when someone else is doing it.

This is going to sound a little personal, but how big of a guy are you? :)

I'm 6'6" and I'm not fat, but I'm not "slender" either, and I have a hard time getting in and out of the cab on our national. Its like the door is too far ahead, and into the control station- ours has levers (simple is better you know) and I end up getting hung up on the levers getting in and out of the cab. My old groves are okay, and the rt is fine, the 70 ton is huge inside, but its a 10' wide carrier.

I was wondering how your cab was on the new manitex, the pilot controls would help a lot for room in the cab, but I was wondering about the rest. It looks like yours has the smaller cab than the 40 and 50 ton's do. I ran a altec a little bit, and it was really crowded, and had a front opening door, rather than a side door, it was like falling into a skid steer. It tended to cook you a little because it didn't have much cross flow windows either.

Most of the truck cranes, the door doesn't go to the front of the cab, giving room for the controls and the dash, and it not interfering with getting in and out of the door.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
That's the best wash- when someone else is doing it.

This is going to sound a little personal, but how big of a guy are you? :)

I'm 6'6" and I'm not fat, but I'm not "slender" either, and I have a hard time getting in and out of the cab on our national. Its like the door is too far ahead, and into the control station- ours has levers (simple is better you know) and I end up getting hung up on the levers getting in and out of the cab. My old groves are okay, and the rt is fine, the 70 ton is huge inside, but its a 10' wide carrier.

I was wondering how your cab was on the new manitex, the pilot controls would help a lot for room in the cab, but I was wondering about the rest. It looks like yours has the smaller cab than the 40 and 50 ton's do. I ran a altec a little bit, and it was really crowded, and had a front opening door, rather than a side door, it was like falling into a skid steer. It tended to cook you a little because it didn't have much cross flow windows either.

Most of the truck cranes, the door doesn't go to the front of the cab, giving room for the controls and the dash, and it not interfering with getting in and out of the door.
6'-0" 220 lbs. "no big belly " The cab isn't what you'd call roomie but if it had long sticks at the front it would be miserable to get into, but its not like a skid steer you don't have to just point yourself at it and fall in. Once your in the seat its very comfy I put a foot rest in to keep my feet off the glass. The cabs on the pictures you posted are the newer more expensive cabs, I think around 20K more and you get electric over hydraulic pilots and a bunch of nice extras. I really wanted hydraulic pilots and 20 k was a factor as well, my cab is still available just not as common.

crane operator

Electric over hydraulic pilots are not a upgrade from hydraulic pilots- in my opinion, there's a lot more feedback from hyd. pilots. The only nice things about electric controls is if you lose a hose, you don't have a cab full of oil, and when its hot, you aren't surrounded by 240 degree hoses - they can make it kind of warm.

I would imagine the electric pilots would make it easier to do the electric adjustments from the console for response and speed. I know the electric pilots are much cheaper for the manufacturers. Run wires instead of hoses.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
House trusses today and a shop yesterday. That’s a 52 ft wall I’m hooked to this is the third one I’ve done like this set the walls then the trusses all in the same day
8257A9FB-9318-4624-A111-AA16A777DE11.jpeg 0458DEF7-8B33-4989-91E6-E78FECCC6D08.jpeg

Natman

I like the equealizer blocks rigging setup. I did a big shop today, 40' by 80', stood the walls up in 16' sections, and then drank coffee while they sheeted them. That's the way that crew likes to do it, and don't mind paying me to do nothing for an hour or so. If I was still a carpenter, I'd have them all sheeted and ready to go up, your crew got max bang for their crane buck. How long were those wire ropes? 3/8" dia. ?