• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new ride

Natman

Looking good Tradesman, those fenders will keep your access ladder un crudded in the winter time. Mine got so full of gunk on the 22101S it was a struggle to extend sometimes. I got my radio from a farm supply catalog, meant for tractors I guess, dual speakers all installed and easy to mount. If my radio and Sirius ain't working, I'm not a happy camper, it helps a lot with me keeping a proper attitude. When caught fiddling with it, I pretend I'm messing with the LMI, "resetting the load computer", no one is the wiser. You got air in that cab? My cheap little WalMart 5,000 BTU one is working great, as it the Yamaha generator that runs it.

I think I posted about my lower window getting broken, while parked over nite at a Flying J truck stop (8 miles from my home no less), and how I replaced it with aluminum deck plate, as I don't often (never) need to look that direction I figured. THEN, I remembered your footrest idea and stole it, more deckplate brake formed just right, it's so comfortable I feel guilty, I only use it when no one's watching.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I had a different type of job for myself yesterday, I put the roof decking up for a new school. The bundles ranged from 1,700 pounds to 3,300 pounds. The iron workers where all young guys and a pleasure to work for. The batteries where dead in their radios and I didn’t have mine, so for any of the long reaches, the guy on the roof would get the bundle close to where he wanted it, then phone me, a couple times he phoned me while he was looking down at me, man was that freaky to see the delay. I’m always a little intimidated working for iron workers, but it went really well, they thanked me for a good job and asked me for a business card “ win “ .0B0B2C81-1279-477F-8AB8-4B80D7A76CC5.jpeg

td25c

Nice work Tradesman !

We put a " spotter " on the edge of the roof when in the blind . Let them tell me what to do .

Any confusion rig gets shut down & yell out the winder " what's going on fellers ? " :)

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Nice work Tradesman !

We put a " spotter " on the edge of the roof when in the blind . Let them tell me what to do .

Any confusion rig gets shut down & yell out the winder " what's going on fellers ? " :)
That would have been better but there was only two of them, one was on the truck hooking and the other was up top placing the bundles. Their only job for the day was to put the bundles up, then hello weekend.

crane operator

I actually prefer the phone over radio's. It seems like you can't get good two way radio's anymore, unless you spend a outrageous fortune. And then the batteries are always dead when you need them. I've been buying the "hunting" type GMRS radio's from bass pro, and they aren't exactly cheap. but it seems like I only get a year or two out of them and they don't work. And I don't use them very often.

Everyone's phone seems to work when they need it. Two way conversation with no delay is nice. It seems like my phone has better volume than the two way radio's do also. I can't hear the radio's over 2 stroke noise.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
F740530C-493C-4AA3-A3E0-1F5C754A0EF4.jpeg 28A25748-CABC-43E3-A444-5AA9B8C7B9BA.jpeg The traffic was hell on the way to my job on Saturday.When I got home from my crane job I had to go out on the backhoe, the picture is of me on the way home at 8:00 pm.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
This is what happens when there is an extra retaining pin on the underside of your new line block you forgot about and didn’t notice till you run 30 ft. of line over it. And as per my normal operating procedure I rigg the block and then lift it off the ground, get out and inspect it hanging before I proceed, but I missed it until I got hooked to the load and noticed something didn’t look correct. I looked it all over and didn’t see any broken wires so I proceeded with the lift, but shortened the rope as soon as I got home. “ some days a diamond, some days a stone “
Ps. The pik was a 20 ft. Container and any of the containers I’ve lifted in the past where all around 10 thousand but this was only 6200 pounds. I could have done it with a single part of line.
9C5A772E-4216-4453-9997-96900912BFDB.jpeg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
What was ya up to in the hay field Tradesman ?

Love the pictures , amazed how close they resemble my area .
Yes I’ve noticed that, I imagine not so much in January though!
I was lifting a sea can that houses the owners maple sap vacuum system, he is going to pour a concrete base with a large sap storage under it, so I’ll have to go back in a few weeks and put the container back on it’s new base

td25c

You fellers have quite a bit colder winter than we would be used to .

I would have to mount a wood stove in the cab if operating in your neck of the woods past November .:D

crane operator

That stinks on the cable. Just wondering how your getting along with the new crane, now that you've had it a while.

On the conex, I would put the block in even with 6200lbs. I always find its easier if you just slow down the line speed. The only ones I'd do the 6,200 in would be my 35/rt, or my 70 ton. They have bigger winches running 3/4" cable. Anything running 5/8" or smaller cable I would have had block in.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
That stinks on the cable. Just wondering how your getting along with the new crane, now that you've had it a while.

On the conex, I would put the block in even with 6200lbs. I always find its easier if you just slow down the line speed. The only ones I'd do the 6,200 in would be my 35/rt, or my 70 ton. They have bigger winches running 3/4" cable. Anything running 5/8" or smaller cable I would have had block in.
Just love it the pilot controls have such a nice feel to them, now instead of clenching my teeth on something tikle-ish I can just ease into it like a pro, the counter weight makes it so much more stable, I’m looking into having another one made there is a slot for two more. The winch is faster, the boom is smoother, it extends and retracts faster, the only thing I’m not as impressed with is the rotation, it is strong, fast and feathers well but just doesn’t have as nice a feel to it as the old one, it might even be the fact that the swing mother is external ( witch I like for service and inspection ) but I can hear it and it makes me think it is “ notchy “ it lets me know if I’m out of level. In short I love it.
I know what your saying about two parts, if I know I’m going to be picking more than 5 k I run two parts just makes everything smoother.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
1DA7D7C5-A61D-437D-AF44-77C41DEAA815.jpeg The Star Car almost got a bruise today, I was coming up a hill on one of my favourite tree lined paved roads when not fifty feet in front of me a small tree fell across the road. Thank goodness I was going up a steep part of the road and was geared down going pretty slow and was able to steer around the biggest part of it, no damage done. I live in constant fear of that first bruise.
I’ve been pretty busy with it, but not much picture worthy, did have a customer of mine give me a giant flag, he said the one I fly on my crane on long weekends is just too small

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I have a question for some of the old hands on a crane. Does every crane have a best lenght of boom to work with? I never really thought about it until I was on the roof while a more experienced operator than myself was running a manitex 38124s and he said it worked really nice at 100 ft. I really didn’t know what he was talking about but I’m starting to see it. Tell me if I’m dreaming but I used to run with as short of a stick as possible, but I’ve started using usually about 75 ft. whether I need or not, It’s short enough that it doesn’t have any bounce, but long enough that at the higher boom angle it is quicker to change radius.

Natman

I don't know about the official technical answer, but I've found every rig I've had to have a sweet spot, based on stability, structural strength (goes without saying) and a little harder to pin down, hydraulic behavior. My Manitex 101S had a funky thing it would do when booming down, it would start pulsing, NOT a smooth boom down, but it would only do this at a certain boom length. One of my 2 17 ton Terex's did the same but less so. I learned to just avoid that length, as it was pretty short, easy enough to do. Setting trusses, I'll just use the boom needed, and a bit more. Heavy stuff, I look at the chart, and it often tells me to run out a lot more boom then needed just to reach the load, but now I have a steeper boom angle so more capacity. When in doubt, go with the chart. If I near the end of a job, I'll "short stick" it, just so I can tear down and get outa there sooner! Most house jobs, my sweet spot is around 85' of sticK.

My favorite jobs, are ones that call for a lot of stick to start, then nearing completion, very little, and I've learned to communicate with the nail benders, "hey, if you want to set that lay in, let's do it NOW, while I have all this stick out, don't ask me to do it after I get it all sucked in." I've told them it's like them having to get all their air hose out, again, just to nail something far away, when they were there earlier. A PITA.

crane operator

I think the lighter a boom is, the more sensitive to length it is. The more boom you keep in, the less side to side movement you will get in it, more overlap between sections. It also helps the boom deflection, the more overlap the sections have, making it less "whippy". The National we have now is not real happy out at the full 95', its much better behaved at 85-90'.

Our Rt is similar- it has 110' main, and setting trusses its better behaved at 100-105'.

I don't have this problem in my tms 300, if I put it all out, main at 105' or with jib at 136', I'll just run it there for the whole job (trusses/ cycle work). I don't think I ever run it with a little telescoped back in. Same with my 25 ton groves. If I put jib in at 106' I can set trusses there until I have to telescope in a little to set the close ones. But those booms are really rigid, and that's the difference. And they are fairly slow on the boom, so it doesn't tend to get away from you booming down. More stick out, speeds it all up when your changing a lot of radius (setting trusses), and they are slow enough to begin with, the extra length just helps.

My 70 ton would be a great crane if you only ever ran it on main boom. If you put all the jib in and dead stick out, (188') its just too fast to be smooth and easy. It runs best with either just jib and no dead stick out (130-160 depending if you have the stinger out on the jib) or just dead stick (127'). The power pin/ dead stick gives a lot of deflection with the jib installed. It actually acts better with just jib on with no power pin, (100' main + 30' jib) than it does with power pin out on main (127'). The jib is more rigid than the power pin section.

If I'm setting heavy stuff with my 70, 35, or Rt, I like to run out only what I need for boom, the charts are better, and every hydraulic input movement, means less movement at the boom tip. Its so much easier to be precise the slower that everything happens.

If you really get into reading charts and studying them, there's quite often instances where more boom gets you more chart at radius, and some cranes have a "super strong" place. Some cranes with say 150' of main may have a 111' boom chart that is 1,000lbs better than any other boom length chart. I've been studying a lot of all terrain charts recently, and I notice it in them.

Link belt uses a A mode and B mode on some of their truck cranes. A mode in those, gets you a much better heavy picking chart, by only extending the bigger section of boom. 35' - 60' of boom out. It makes a big difference in their up close lifting charts. B mode is for the longer boom lengths.

The Grove tms 870 I used to run had a A and B mode too, but the A mode in it, sent out the lighter sections, only helping if you were running without counterweights. Any counterweight installed, B mode was always better charts in the grove. I always had counterweight on, so the only time I used A mode was if I needed all the boom out, it was faster to telescope it all out in that mode. Other than that, A mode was useless.

Natman

That's the other interesting thing, how more boom out can often mean cycling trusses faster. I play with this all the time to keep things interesting....varous combinations, some involving more winching, or some less winching, my favorite are when I can do the job with little winching, just booming. When I pick a bundle of trusses that are awkwardly positioned, before setting them down and commencing to place them, I'll eyeball where they will be going, and will try to put them where I can reach them when cycling by mostly booming with just a little winch work, that works fastest with my rig. I'm not sure what my winch speed is, faster would be nice, and I do see the bigger machines have faster line speeds.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Our latest Liebherr AT has a nice function. Every function, swing, boom and winch, starts slow, gradually gets faster until it is full speed. If you quickly just let go of the lever, it creeps to a stop, not suddenly stop. Makes an operator seem like a pro. Couple that with 0-100% speed control settings, and an operator can easily just pinch off a little...smoothly

crane operator

Our latest Liebherr AT has a nice function. Every function, swing, boom and winch, starts slow, gradually gets faster until it is full speed. If you quickly just let go of the lever, it creeps to a stop, not suddenly stop. Makes an operator seem like a pro. Couple that with 0-100% speed control settings, and an operator can easily just pinch off a little...smoothly

With what they cost- they should be like a good bird dog. You should be able to whistle and point at what you want picked up, and point where you want it to go, and the crane should take care of the rest.:rolleyes: