• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new ride

FSERVICE

whats the thought on doing the I beams that way??? never saw that before cant b any strength that way cause you are side loading & cant get a fastener very long for the hangers...

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
whats the thought on doing the I beams that way??? never saw that before cant b any strength that way cause you are side loading & cant get a fastener very long for the hangers...

That's what happens when you get a half a dozen architects and engineers in the same room
The packing is bolted through at two ft. Oc. And resting on the bottom flange. It's looks like it will work but nobody that ever picked up a hammer would ever dream it up.

RocketScott

It's not about the length, it's the girth that matters...

Wait, what were we talking about?

They usually call out tube steel here. I have the shop weld on studs and we bolt 1-3/4" LVLs to them. Still sucks.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
image.jpg
Not a bad day at the office. We started at eight this morning and finished at four thirty, 70 x250

td25c

Looking good Tradesman !

I Enjoy working with Amish carpenters . They move fast & know what there doing :thumbsup

RocketScott

Nicely done.

Are you setting them one at a time?

I'm still working out a way to lift a few at a time and hold them 2' apart. Something like a spreader bar with a chain every 2'.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I have seen what your talking about , an eight ft spreader beam with different hitch points to allow for 16" 24" 32" or 4' spacing I don't think I would use one unless it was stamped by a engineer
My own crew has put two small house trusses on with two separate slings, set the first truss then slack the cable enough to set second truss, works well but wouldn't want to do it with anything bigger than 30 ft.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Special equipment

As I get busier with my " new ride" I find I need more and more equipment to meet the needs of my customers ie: concrete bucket oversized spreaders multiple chain hoists and the list goes on and on . I bought a a concrete bucket after renting one three times, I plan on charging $50 every time I use it , I also have invested several thousand in different pieces of rigging but there's a limit. My question is, is it appropriate to charge for any equipment you need to rent or do you just either eat it or turn down the work. When I rented the concrete bucket it cost me money because I paid $100 to rent the bucket then I had to drive to pick it up and take it back I did charge my customer $100 but still lost on the deal.
On one hand I feel if your gonna be in business cowboy up and get what ya need but I don't think in this business you could ever have all you need and having a job cost you money doesn't last long.
Advice please
I know everyone loves pictures here's one of my pup that there is a picture of on this thread last winter he's coming along nicely image.jpg

td25c

Yeah Tradesman , buy all means charge for extra services that go with the crane .

Crane game is about like the fishing sport . You buy the rod & reel then comes the tackle box, boat & trailer ;)

I carry quite a bit of rigging on the crane along with 8' spreader bar & block . Don't really charge extra for these items , it's figured in the hourly rate .

Then on many jobs another vehicle go's with the crane, could be service truck for welding , truck & trailer to haul cribbing , ect . I charge extra for those services .

Knepptune

We have a couple 4 ft spreaders with hooks 2ft on center and 16 in. On center. They works great if your trusses are all the same. Takes a good crew and good hook up guy to really make them work. Some crews we work for can do 60ft. Trusses in under 3 min per truss. At that pace there's no reason to send two trusses at a time.

We have a bunch of different spreader bars and rigging. We charge extra if we have to have another truck there. But if it fits on the crane we just include it.

dbl612

Occupation
crane operator
our cranes are rented out with an assortment of cable and nylon chokers/straps. if they are damaged on the job they are charged out to the customer. we have concrete, grapple, and clam buckets, demo balls and crosses and several sizes of demo pans. they all have a rental rate and a delivery charge if they can't fit on the crane. rigging and attachments can't be supplied and maintained for nothing if you have to pay for them, maintain them, replace them when worn out, and most importantly be liable for their performance if there is and accident that can be traced to their usage.

RocketScott

I've been setting trusses two at a time, one chain on each truss. My current project has 36' long trusses. Kinda slow but I'm working by myself.

Most of what I do is a bid price in construction. If I have to rent something special or drive extra distance I factor that into the bid. I do charge by the day to run on a generator. Until last year I had been renting them for the odd job that didn't have a power pole. I would pass on the cost of the rental and gas. I finally went and bought one but still charge the same as if I rented it. It's payed for itself and then some, plus I don't have to go pick it up and I know it will start when I need it to.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
image.jpgThis is a job I did this week for the Mennonites, I showed up on schedule at 9:00 am the poles where in the ground but no strapping or plates on and the vans just pulling in full of men. I set up and started setting door beams, by then they had the plates on one end and I started swinging trusses. We stopped for a half hour for lunch at 11:30 and finished with bill made out and driving down the lane at 1:00 pm . The building is 48 x 104 .
It's hard to get any engine off feet up time out of these men!

Knepptune

Sounds fun.

One crew gave me a surprise. 60x120 pole barn. Had the side walls up, the end walls were laying one the ground completely assembled gable truss nailed on and everything. Mind you there were four guys there. We stood the end walls up and set them in place(they were heavy). Started at eight and I was wrapped up rolling out at four thirty. They also put all their 2x4's on the roof as they went.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Nice work. My father was a carpenter, I have a bit of wood framing running through my blood.;)

Thanks for the pics.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Now that's the way to set trusses
That's a gable set it gives you a really solid place to start building the rest of the roof. Its a lot easier, faster and safer to do it on the ground.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
image.jpg
This an old bridge I loaded on a truck to be relocated as a foot bridge.
The bridge was deemed to be of historical significants and for the municipality to get funding they had to save the old bridge. I have to unload it this week at its new home and then set it on its foundation in the spring sorry for the quality of the picture,it was the best the conditions would allow image.jpg
My newest toy its a 1970 Berreta sxs

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Nice side by side or double barrel. Beautiful wood on the stock.