• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Rails

Welder Dave

I assume you buffed/sanded the paint off the rails. It's also important to get the right torque on the bolts. The torque turn method is the best way instead of just using an impact wrench.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Would pull them down with an impact alternating pattern then hit with a common low torque to set the shoe, then follow the torque turn method. Always cleaned the rail faces, only tried ONCE to install shoes dirty, that did not end well.

RustedHeroes

I assume you buffed/sanded the paint off the rails. It's also important to get the right torque on the bolts. The torque turn method is the best way instead of just using an impact wrench.
I'm curious on the torque turn method, can someone explain in more detail? Also what is the recommended torque for these bolts?
Thanks!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
One third of a turn is two flats. Just mark a corner of the bolt head and then a point of the pad two flats ahead where is should stop. 220 foot pounds though seems like a lot for that size. I recall doing 220 on D8 pads.

SpaceDog67

I know it's been a while... Assembly started.
Welding took WAY longer than anticipated.
Welding sure can take some time indeed. Not in this case but it sure can be decreased. As far as I know, couplings can be connected by mechanical pressing. Well, yeah, a little off-top but a tip for the future. There's also less environmental impact with using the hydraulic pressing system. I used it for building me a little backyard barn. Hope the hydraulic pad connection way will be created by http://hardman-de.com soon enough.