• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New or used 55 ton?

Dlange

Im looking to buy a 55ton detach to upgrade from our 50 challenger. All the decent used trailers I see are 45-55k price range. It it worth jumping up to a new trailer if I plan to keep for the long haul. It will be used to move all our own equipment around throughout the year. Probably 2 trips a week average. Just curious what the seasoned haulers would reccomend. I'm leaning toward a 55 talbert with a 18" ride height to get our height down haulin ag tractors.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Ultimately your checkbook and tax consultant may answer for you. I wouldn't be afraid of a used one just look it over well in the transition and neck area. Those are the two places where I've seen the most structural issues. I would stay name brand as they last longer. By name brand I mean fabricated beams with T-1 flanges and 50/80k webs. Stay away from anything built out of mill run material regardless of tensile strength as you just can't get the camber to stay in them like you can with beams built with camber. I haven't shopped new trailers in awhile but it seems like there's a value cycle where it's worth new and times when new is a better deal. Unless a used one comes with a work order for brakes, seals etc I'd budget doing it all as a precaution. Learn from Crane Operators recent experience :)

I think that price range will buy a nice trailer if you shop around.

Junkyard

crane operator

Thanks Junkyard, its nice to know people are pulling for you!

Dlange- Junkyard is commenting on my fun with a used lowboy. I bought a 1996 55 ton talbert at ritchie bros in August/ September last year. I managed to drive it to Missouri from Ft. Worth texas, after chaining up a axle, due to a hot bearing (from being over tightened). I've put in all new wheel bearings and seals (found another bad bearing), and one new brake shoe and drum. I also had to tear apart the main pivot shaft in the neck. Not a easy job, but doable. We've also done some hydraulic hoses in the neck, and added a park brake/spring can on the back axle.

None of it was terribly expensive, but that's because we do the work ourselves, rather than sending it to someone. I gave $17,500 for the trailer, probably have close to 20,000 in it with parts and labor. Ritchie Bros- I find you have to go into it expecting to spend money on it. There's a reason they sent it to the auction, but at least with a trailer, as long as the main beams are okay, there's not much else that isn't fixable.

I haul a 66,000 lb crane, don't really haul for anyone else. Probably average once a week. I couldn't justify the 30-40,000 that most used trailers were bringing (and most of those were in pretty tough shape), hence the auction trailer (life's about taking chances:)).
I'd rather spend 70 for a new trailer, than give 50 for a used one, but like junkyard says, it depends more on your economic situation, what you can afford to spend. That said, a two to five year old trailer, from someplace without salt, for 1/2 of new price, would probably be what I would do, but I don't like spending $.

New Witzco 50 ton $43,000
http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trailers/for-sale/7614125/2017-witzco-challenger-ngb-50s

New trail king's look like just under $80,000
http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trailers/for-sale/7497729/2016-trail-king-tk110hdg

Talbert's new are mid 70,000
http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trailers/for-sale/6019869/2016-talbert-55-tons-sa

From what I've heard - the witzco's aren't that great, but I've never owned one. Local big dirt contractor has a eager beaver, and it's not holding up real well, but it gets used really hard ( like 5 loads a day).
I've heard good about trailking, fontaine, talbert, and entyre. It's probably like anything else- you get what you pay for.

Dlange

Thanks for the reply guy. Im going with a new Talbert 55ton with 18" ride height. I take good care of my stuff, and put it under roof when not running, so hopefully it will hold its value well.
I agree on repairing a trailer. I love to do things myself, but honestly will not have the time. Thanks for the feedback. Safe travels to both of you.