• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New operator question(loading)

Newbie95

Hi guys
So just started a new job as a trainee operator starting to see some progress and improvements! But still get nervous doing some jobs today climbed onto stock pile to load a truck only place i could position the excavator was to dig over idlers and slew over to reach truck but because the pile was so wide at the bottom i had to nearly fully extend the arm and boom to reach the truck making the excavator very jumpy and felt unstable..
My question is do you think the excavator could tip over or is it just going to hop abit and second is the any other way i could have done it better.?

Cheers guys any feedback is appreciated

Also excavator is a HITACHI 225 zero swing model.

JPV

If you have no better way to position it and it feels unstable just take a little smaller scoop, as you work the pile you can work your way into a better position. You don't want to land in the back of the truck, that never goes over well. As you are learning always concentrate on being smooth and efficient, speed will come with experience. Others will chime in, that is just my opinion. This is a great place to ask questions!

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I prefer to sit high to load, but that's not always possible. Sometimes you may be down over a slope loading a truck above you. If a stockpile is really high, I sometimes build a pad just high enough to see over the tailgate. I used to want to see right in the box, but over the tailgate is all you really need. We had a 330 deere that used to rock back an forth in it's tracks so annoying.

AzIron

I have noticed zero swing machines to be just a tad tipsy not bad but just a hair light mainly cause the counter weight is close to the center

One thing that works in a pinch is to make the track on the side your leaning toward about 2 maybe 3 inches higher

As stated above be smooth the smoother you are the least likely the rear wants to lift with a full bucket and smooth makes fast but fast is not smooth

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
Not a super operator or anything and most of my experience is with small to medium machines (which tend to rock all the time). What works for me is building the side that's closest to the truck a but higher. The angle change will help. As well, if you're reaching all the way out, do smaller scoops and as you work through the pile, try and get the trucks closer to you/increase pile size. I run an oversize bucket on my reduced tail 60 and those 2 things combined make a world of difference.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
A rule of thumb I use is that the tracks should sit on the pile/ ground at the same height as the side of the trucks you're loading. Worn't any schools when I learnt this just learnt by experience.
2nd; there are no jerky machines only jerky operators.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
2nd; there are no jerky machines only jerky operators.[/QUOTE] I have to disagree with this statement. Some machines are smoother than others. Weather it's pilot pressures, or the machine is really worn out. If you have to compensate for this it is the machine not the man. Years ago, I was the low man on the pole. I ran an old 992 grubbing and loading clay for a lagoon job. Guy running a newer machine didn't work Saturdays, so I had to take his machine on the weekends. I couldn't do a thing with it. As soon as you touched the controls, every function would jerk. I tried everything, even idling it down. I felt so stupid. I mentioned it to him on Monday he just laughed and said he had no problem. I asked for my machine for the next weekend, but they said it was too big for what I was doing, plus they didn't want to have to truck it in from the clay pit. After 5 Saturdays of this, a young fella that was doing the hand work told me that every Friday at quitting time the other operator would do something in one of the side compartments. He was cranking up the pilot pressures. We had words on manday. Next Saturday it was a totally different machine

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
I have to disagree with this statement. Some machines are smoother than others. Weather it's pilot pressures, or the machine is really worn out. If you have to compensate for this it is the machine not the man.[/QUOTE] Good operators compensate for the jerky machine so that the job gets done, well maybe not so much these days with all the soft cock wanabe's out there.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I have to disagree with this statement. Some machines are smoother than others. Weather it's pilot pressures, or the machine is really worn out. If you have to compensate for this it is the machine not the man.
Good operators compensate for the jerky machine so that the job gets done, well maybe not so much these days with all the soft cock wanabe's out there.[/QUOTE]
I recognize your type of operator, I see them get canned all the time. It's just like this jack ass anyone can be an operator hiding at home behind their screen.you probably like to imagine you're running a hoe but instead of joysticks, they're the soft cocks you like to talk about

suladas

A rule of thumb I use is that the tracks should sit on the pile/ ground at the same height as the side of the trucks you're loading. Worn't any schools when I learnt this just learnt by experience.

In a perfect world that would be ideal, but not in most cases. I'd say I get that luxury 1% of the time if that. I'm happy if the machine is on the same height of ground as the truck.

One thing I prefer as most of my loading is digging basements is only swing 90 degrees, and I prefer to load from the side instead of the rear. Loading from the back on higher trucks I find some it's hard to see the tarps so you're pushing the dirt forward, sideways you don't have to move anything. If i'm a bit higher the rear is fine even swinging 180 degrees you can load a load of dirt in a hurry.

suladas

As far as loading with the stick extended all the way, i'd just watch that the pile isn't sluffing down and eventually the track let loose. I wouldn't worry about it nearly as much if it was the ends of the undercarriage because it won't tip nearly as easy. Moving some of the pile may be quicker as others mentioned, you can't heap the bucket if it the boom is extended all the way.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
One thing I didn't see mentioned here is the importance of wearing your seat belt....especially in an excavator.
There is nothing worse than reaching for a truck with a heaping bucket which tips the machine which ends with you falling out of the cab thru the front window then having your shirt get hung up on the travel levers. All because you were in a hurry or too cool to wear your seat belt. I know this all too well. :cool:

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
One thing I didn't see mentioned here is the importance of wearing your seat belt....especially in an excavator.
There is nothing worse than reaching for a truck with a heaping bucket which tips the machine which ends with you falling out of the cab thru the front window then having your shirt get hung up on the travel levers. All because you were in a hurry or too cool to wear your seat belt. I know this all too well. :cool:

How far down the road did you get before it ran out of fuel?

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
I was going to ask how large a circle did he go in.

Not very far. This could have been real ugly. But as with my lowboy accident, I was extremely lucky. Hell....I didn't even take out his sideboards.
But seriously.....
Seat belts are there for a reason...
To keep you from soiling yourself. :cool: