1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

New OLD guy in Cave Creek AZ with a new old bucket truck problem.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OffRoadSHO, Feb 24, 2021.

1. OffRoadSHO

OffRoadSHO New Member

Hey guys, just joined and I have a problem with a new to me insulated bucket truck I just got at auction. The bucket is moved by hydraulics of course but the hydraulic pump is powered by 4 12 volt batteries instead of by engine driven PTO or generator. It runs the pump all the time, not just when you pull the trigger up in the bucket. It is a fully insulated 37' unit and was made by Versalift, but I can't find a wiring diagram at the dealer or online. Since their are no conductive wires or hoses connecting the bucket to the lower pump assembly, I assume they use some sort of air switch to signal when the operator wants the pump to run.

Anybody know anything about these insulated bucket trucks?

Thanks.

Tom

2. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Howdy
    Everyone on here is a bucket truck pro except me-someone will come along shortly.

DB2 likes this.
  3. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    The bucket trucks I have seen use a hydraulic pump coupled to the engine to work the boom with an ancillary source for emergency . It's a OH&S requirement here in Australia, maybe there too.

old-iron-habit and Truck Shop like this.
  4. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

Equipment Mechanic/Technician
    Welcome to HEF OffRoad;)!

5. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    This goes way way back and may not pertain to what you are experiencing. I had a man lift on an older Ford I think it was hi-ranger. Anyhow, the joystick had a deadman grip. It was kinda like a grip safety on a 1911. You'd have to squeeze the deadman which was like its own little master cylinder, it would actuate a little slave which trigger a relay to control the hydraulic pump drive, from there everything ran off pumps.
    The complaint was "no function " but I can see how it might, might relate to what you have. Good luck and be careful.

mg2361 likes this.
  6. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

None of this story sounds right, how about a picture of the underside of the bucket controls, and the hydraulic pump?

It should be obvious what's in the control circuit to turn the electric pump on and off, have you looked into that? Is it old enough that it was built before the requirements Tones mentioned? Sorry, I don't know how old that would be, but getting way past 30 years I'd guess.

Truck Shop likes this.
  7. JLarson

JLarson Well-Known Member

Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
    Versalift did at one time, maybe still does offer DC powered and generator powered hydraulic unit options on their lifts, their smaller lifts only require a few GPM's. I think there's supposed to be a control unit back there with the batteries and pump.

8. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks
    OffRoadSHO,

Hello and welcome. Good to have you here at the HEF.

Can’t help with your bucket truck. The Versalift service and install manuals are fairly easy to find in PDF format on the interwebs.

That rig might make a great deer stand.