• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

coldtrailer

Really pleased to have found this site! My introduction to heavy equipment started over thirty five years ago when I was riding as swamper on D7's and D8's that were building fireguard on forest fires in the BC Interior mountains. The machines would get stuck quite often so I ended up pulling a lot of winch line. We attached water tanks to the back of rubber-tired skidders for hauling water up steep cat guards. When the ground got too steep for the RTS we had an FMC tracked skidder with a 1000 gallon tank on the back.
Never ridden on the new high track machines. They look like they might be more likely to roll on a steep sidehill.

Oxbow

Welcome coldtrailer! Actually the high track machines have a lower center of gravity due to lower placement of the engine/ trans.

coldtrailer

Thanks for the welcome. I understood the new configuration made it a lot easier to service the final drive. Does having the drive sprocket higher up reduce the wear on that part?

Oxbow

Cat is indeed trending toward more low track in tractors up to the D7E, but they have had obvious success with the high track design, and yes, one of the advantages is keeping shock and wear from material away from the sprocket/final drive.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums coldtrailer!:drinkup