• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New member hoping to get info

mwilli

Hi everyone. I'm a new member here. I recently purchased a John Deere 310d backhoe. I was told it may be a 1995 or 1996. I'm very new to heavy equipment. It's my first backhoe, and I'm learning as I go. I was hoping you all could help point me in the right direction.

Where can I find info on oil capacities and filters? I'd like to change the engine oil, transmission and hydraulic oil and filters. But haven't bee able to find capacity and filters as of yet. I also looked into purchasing a manual, but there are different ones on ebay, and I'm not sure which to get.

Any suggestions?

mwilli

Also, is it necessary to change the hydraulic oil when changing out the hydraulic filter and transmission filter? If just changing the filter, how much fluid would I lose?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I feel half the value in a machine is a set of manuals. You need operators, parts, and service. In some cases you also need engine.

As for engine filters my NAPA store is best source for numbers, and price. Everybody sells good 15W 40 . If it gets very cold where you are, 10W-30 in winter months.

Hydraulic oil I change when I buy a used machine, or after I resolve leaks. Each manufacturer offers premium oils.

I use Case/IH Hytran. It has several additives. I consider most important, the emulsifiers. A bit of water contamination is absorbed where it does not damage.