• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New KW

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
Here is a pic of our new T800 chassis as we ready it for the dump body. Thought you guys might like some pics, more after we finish it up.

Attachments

• equipment pictures 046.jpg
    equipment pictures 046.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 976
  • equipment pictures 047.jpg
    equipment pictures 047.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 973

jazak

Are you the owner? Nice truck, love the color. What size dump are you going to put on it? Lots of guys here are putting LED strobe lights in the body are you going to do that? Put up pics when its done.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
My dad and his brothers own it and I work there. Its going to get a J&J aluminum body off our 98 Mack then flipped over this summer, we'll see how it turns out since the body was on a CL and is now going to be on a KW t800 we hope it will work out. We will probably use LED lighting, i don't know about strobes yet. We should be getting our GMC 5500 this week too so Ill grab some pics of that....yea our color is definatly an eye catcher all shined up

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
Cat C13 at 450 hp and Fuller 11 spd....4.88 gears, Chalmers beam hard a** ride suspension, hendrickson 20k lift axle

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Looks great! With an aluminum body will look really sharp.
Don't forget more pics with the body mounted. Maybe one of the interior too?

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Too bad Kenworth stopped making the split windshield its kinda traditional look.

As for Chalmers suspension it rides smoother than Hendrickson Walking beam and with a aluminum box you want a little smoother riding suspension because a aluminum box doesn't quite put enough load on the tires etc to keep the bouncing to a minimum. Good tires also help you get a out of round one and it starts to bounce if you wear dentures they will be on the floor :lmao

Are you sure the transmission isn't a 9LL the only one with a 11spd I think is Mack.

I like the old T-800s they are not cheap trucks it will be far better than the Mack you meantioned. The C-13s have a pretty good bark to them if you punch the muffers out :yup

You better get your dad the chrome book with all the aftermarket stuff for Paccar trucks. One of the owner operators I know not dump but a truck tractor spend probably 10 grand on aftermarket stuff to dress up his Pete. Its not like some of the Pete's I have seen where its over accessorized.

With a dump truck the less lights you have is probably the better the viberation kills them. You can never have enough back up (reversing) lighting when working in early morning conditions.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Do you guys usually run on fairly level ground? I'm curious as the radiator isn't oversized (as far as I can tell), about 85% of the T800 dumps out here have the largest radiator you can get. Nice truck! The color is awesome.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
Maybe it is a 9LL, never knew one existed, I shift just like the 8LL we have. Its gotta some extra low low i believe. The 4.88's are awesome though, we can do 70 mph and then go off road onsite and have no problem. I don't know how these guys use 4.30's and even ratios in the high 3's for dump trucks....I wish we had gotten more lights, like the mirror turn signals, etc. I was just happy to get the SS accesories we got lol. The windshield could be split curve or one piece, or the traditional spilt flat, there all options.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I imagine it must be a 9LL I haven't driven one yet but its more options for gearing for construction trucks. The low axle gears help with the offroad work keeps you from breaking things and easier on the driveline.

The standard radiator is probably good enough for a C-13 I can see going with the T-800H or T-800W if you were grossing 140,000lbs and working offroad.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I guess it depends on how long your idle times are, I know all the logging trucks are running oversized radiators. For us in Chelan, with temperatures getting into the 100+ degree range in the summer, having an oversized radiator is the only way to go, especially if you're jockeying a truck around the site a lot.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
If your running C-15s or ISX engines the big rad is needed if it is working in hot conditions. These are the high hood models for extreme conditions.

Attachments

• 2282-1.jpg
    2282-1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 879
  • 2313-1.jpg
    2313-1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 878

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
Some pics a week later, we have the body mounted, only thing left is to plumb the truck for the tarp and it will be on the road, well lettering of course too. All get some better ones outside and some of the interior when the weather gets better around here....i don't think it looks too bad considering the body was built around a whole different truck.

John

Attachments

• equipment pictures 051.jpg
    equipment pictures 051.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 805
  • equipment pictures 052.jpg
    equipment pictures 052.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 813

ARPlante

Occupation
Owner, secretary, estimator, mechanic, janitor
John,

What is the name of the company you work for?

That's a great looking truck you got there- I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years to come!

Andrew

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Holy crap thats a big box :eek:

On dump trucks our dump boxes are 16' long but the sides are not that tall they might be 60"s tall at most. They usually hold 14 yards usually when the box is full the truck is loaded.

A big box like that you probably have to be very carefull or you will overload the truck big time.

Truck looks good it might be time to get the buffer out and some compound with a good wax to make the box shine to match the truck :laugh

ARPlante

Occupation
Owner, secretary, estimator, mechanic, janitor
Well, I'm currently a college student in Boston studying business management/ entrepreneurial business. After college I plan on starting my own development/excavation company.

However, since I am only a lowly college student with no money and limited experience,:wink2 I get my playtime in the dirt working for G. Lopes Construction. Lopes brought me on last summer as an assistant supervisor/ project manager and I have gotten some excellent experience with them that I hope to build upon in the future.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
Oh yea i've heard of lopes, actually our company winter coats are based on a designed lopes used with the same manufacture, small world. I'm in college too, for construction management.

Rat, when we bought the Macks were were suppose to be legal for 24 yards but when they arrived they weighed more then projected, whats new, and still were only able to haul 20 yards like the other trucks. So we built the bodies and they were never used to full potential.