• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New holland 555 serial number location

rumblecloud

Occupation
Living the dream...:]
I apologize if this has been covered - I've used the search function(s) to no avail. Here's my story:
I am a total newb when it comes to TLB knowledge other than what I've gleaned from my research mostly here. I've been looking at backhoes since about 2012 - as evidenced by my first post on this forum when I first got the bug.
I'm looking at purchasing a New Holland TLB from a private owner selling the TLB for his dad. His dad told him it's a 98. The meter reads 7,300 and change. A serial number plate on the inside of the cab (image attached) offers some insight, but after some research I'm assuming this plate is for the cab and not the TLB.
The gentleman selling the TLB is as forthcoming as can be - not being evasive or hiding anything, so I trust him. There are no decals to be found on the boom or engine side panels, but looking at images of same year models, that doesn't seem to be unusual.
So that's where I am at this point in my search. Any info I get, I will gladly share with the seller as I am certain he would appreciate knowing more about what he's selling.
Thanks in advance for your help and I' apologize for the lengthy post.
20230205_121641.jpg 306741569_1419572175194591_1923096626810108021_n.jpg

cosmaar1

I apologize if this has been covered - I've used the search function(s) to no avail. Here's my story:
I am a total newb when it comes to TLB knowledge other than what I've gleaned from my research mostly here. I've been looking at backhoes since about 2012 - as evidenced by my first post on this forum when I first got the bug.
I'm looking at purchasing a New Holland TLB from a private owner selling the TLB for his dad. His dad told him it's a 98. The meter reads 7,300 and change. A serial number plate on the inside of the cab (image attached) offers some insight, but after some research I'm assuming this plate is for the cab and not the TLB.
The gentleman selling the TLB is as forthcoming as can be - not being evasive or hiding anything, so I trust him. There are no decals to be found on the boom or engine side panels, but looking at images of same year models, that doesn't seem to be unusual.
So that's where I am at this point in my search. Any info I get, I will gladly share with the seller as I am certain he would appreciate knowing more about what he's selling.
Thanks in advance for your help and I' apologize for the lengthy post.
View attachment 280654 View attachment 280655
Since he doesn’t know a lot about the machine I would call the local highway patrol or sheriffs office to make sure it’s not stolen.

cosmaar1

Also, Swetz’s picture was good. My 555e has a placard on the passenger side right by the loader arm and it’s stamped clear as day on the frame rail. You just have to take off the engine cover to see it.

cosmaar1

Hmmm...never really thought about that. Thanks.
I’m a firm believer in doing as much as cover your butt as possible. My machine was sold with a bill of sale, I’m assuming that machinery doesn’t have titles (maybe the new stuff does) but never hurts to ask.

I rather be let down on the phone with a cop vs plop down 20k of my hard earned money to find out 6 months from now it was stolen and I lose it all.

rumblecloud

Occupation
Finally got the serial number from the TLB I am looking at. Not sure what can be found out about it, but here it is.
If anyone has any info or where I could go to do more research, I'd be grateful.

Number: 031003972
Again, supposed to be a 98 New Holland.
Thanks in advance.

cosmaar1

Finally got the serial number from the TLB I am looking at. Not sure what can be found out about it, but here it is.
If anyone has any info or where I could go to do more research, I'd be grateful.

Number: 031003972
Again, supposed to be a 98 New Holland.
Thanks in advance.
In my experience S/N with this machine doesn’t mean as much as it does with others. I think I’ve only used it one time and that was because of the break in the operators manual. One manual was for a certain number and below and the other was for the rest.

I bought my machine in 2019 and this forum has been a great help for me. If you have any specific issues they seemed to get answered fairly quickly or at least advice is given on where to start.

rumblecloud

Occupation
Hey Cosmaar1,

Thanks for checking back.
I've spent the better part of today just looking up every 98 New Holland TLB I could find using google and checking the SNs and comparing equipment levels, etc, to see if there were any correlations or patterns in the numbers. Sadly I could not - except for the first four digits. All the 98s have the same first four numbers and were either 555E or 655E. The next 5 digits offered no clue. Anyway, I'll keep diggin and post back if I find anything.

cosmaar1

Hey Cosmaar1,

Thanks for checking back.
I've spent the better part of today just looking up every 98 New Holland TLB I could find using google and checking the SNs and comparing equipment levels, etc, to see if there were any correlations or patterns in the numbers. Sadly I could not - except for the first four digits. All the 98s have the same first four numbers and were either 555E or 655E. The next 5 digits offered no clue. Anyway, I'll keep diggin and post back if I find anything.
What exactly are you looking for? Specific options or something?

rumblecloud

Occupation
The short answer is that I was hoping that with the S/N I could at least make sure the Backhoe is what the gentleman says it is.

The long-winded answer is that I'm kinda like you in that I try to find out as much as I can about something I plan to buy -- especially when it is in the 16K range. And I'm really ignorant when it comes to TLBs. I've been looking at them for a long while now and am this close >< to buying one that has all the features I want, plus, it's 3-miles from my home.
With cars and trucks, the VIN or serial number tells you everything you need to know. I'm finding that is not the case with TLBs at least when it comes to Ford/New Holland. I've got the specs pages from TractorData, so I know all the basic stuff.
The person selling it has told me as much as he knows about it's running condition - good and bad, but is light on it's history beyond the two years he's owned it. So I guess maybe I'm chasing windmills.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to respond.

R

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
rumblecloud,

I do not think you are going to get much from the serial number in regards to what you are buying. The NH SNs will, however, help with correct parts as they did make some SN based changes. My tractor was manufactured in 1999, and the number you posted is lower so perhaps an earlier model. That said, they are pretty much all the same externally. You can tell some things by knowing the tractor, such as they type of trans it was equipped with, and if it had the emission engine, by looking at the fuel filter.

I personally think your best bet would be to look an an operators manual as it will point out all the options, and how to operate.

About the E series backhoe....They are fine units that are very capable, but parts can be a pain. Know that the E series was really the last Ford tractor that was rebadged when New Holland took over Ford. I think (my opinion) this may be why they have a tough time with parts. So, if you are willing to deal with that aspect, then if the condition and price are to your liking, go for it. In my neck of the woods, NH is not the most desirable machine, John Deere is, so, I turned that into a plus and got a great low hour machine for a great price. If I would have bought the same machine in JD it prolly would have been 10k more in my area.

OEM Operators manuals are available in PDF format all over the web for around $25. To me, this is a worthwhile investment. When I was on my search for a machine, I purchased the manuals for each machine that was on my short list prior to looking at the machine. For me, it was well worth the investment to know what to look for on the machine, and then you have it when you do buy it.

Many here also advocate having the machine inspected by a pro prior to purchase. This is a good option for someone who will is not mechanically inclined.

If you will be the one maintaining the unit, you do not have to worry to much about a local dealer as Messicks will ship NH parts, and they are an outstanding dealer. If you will have the dealer work on your machine, find out if your local NH dealer is worth a hoot, if not, cross them off the list.

Finally, I understand it is a huge outlay of cash, but you need to understand upfront that no matter what machine, or brand you purchase, I will need an initial outlay of cash to get it where you want it. If that is not ok, you need new, which prolly isn't feasible.

I just wend back and reread some for your posts. From them, it looks like you are unsure of the model. If you call Messicks with SN they can tell you the model from the SN. Know this tho, the 555E - 675E are not much different. Some little differences like horsepower, turbo/non turbo, hydraulic pressures, which changes lifting capacity, but overall just about the same machines.

Hopefully this is good info for you.:)

rumblecloud

Occupation
rumblecloud,
...I personally think your best bet would be to look an an operators manual as it will point out all the options, and how to operate.

About the E series backhoe....They are fine units that are very capable, but parts can be a pain. Know that the E series was really the last Ford tractor that was rebadged when New Holland took over Ford. I think (my opinion) this may be why they have a tough time with parts. So, if you are willing to deal with that aspect, then if the condition and price are to your liking, go for it. In my neck of the woods, NH is not the most desirable machine, John Deere is, so, I turned that into a plus and got a great low hour machine for a great price. If I would have bought the same machine in JD it prolly would have been 10k more in my area.

Many here also advocate having the machine inspected by a pro prior to purchase. This is a good option for someone who will is not mechanically inclined.

If you will be the one maintaining the unit, you do not have to worry to much about a local dealer as Messicks will ship NH parts, and they are an outstanding dealer.

Finally, I understand it is a huge outlay of cash, but you need to understand upfront that no matter what machine, or brand you purchase, I will need an initial outlay of cash to get it where you want it. If that is not ok, you need new, which prolly isn't feasible.

I just wend back and reread some for your posts. From them, it looks like you are unsure of the model. If you call Messicks with SN they can tell you the model from the SN. Know this tho, the 555E - 675E are not much different. Some little differences like horsepower, turbo/non turbo, hydraulic pressures, which changes lifting capacity, but overall just about the same machines.

Hopefully this is good info for you.:)

Hey thanks Swetz!

Absolutely is good info for me. It also reinforced some things.

Around here (48022) JD is most desirable as well - but, as you mentioned, it comes with a higher price. What I've found through my searches in the Michigan thumb area, Iron Planet, Ritchie Bros, etc., is that most of the machines with the equipment I want run in the 18-25K range (4WD, extendahoe, cab, decent tires). Add shipping or trailering and it can get a little pricey. Which is okay to a point. This one as I mentioned, is right down the street and has everything I want. I find it quite ironic that for the length of time I've been looking to finally find one right under under my noseo_O

Is it prefect, absolutely not. One front cylinder is leaking and a few of the hoses will need to be replaced eventually. Front windshield is cracked and the seat needs to be recovered. Tires are decent. Controls aren't sloppy. Newer battery, alternator and starter -- All-in-all it seems to be a pretty decent machine.

Fortunately, I can turn a wrench and am not afraid to do so -- it's the only way I can afford to go and it is half the fun of owning a piece of equipment like a hoe or tractor, car or truck ;)

I can get it for 16K and drive it home....all I need is get the approval from the CFO (that's proving to be more difficult than I thought:D

I do have a contact who appraises construction machinery and comes highly recommended. He'll charge $100-200 to inspect it and well worth the added expense.

Sorry for rambling. Name is Randy (screen name seems a bit much at this point).

Thank you again for your input and for the Messicks reference.

I'll keep posting my progress.

cosmaar1

Hey thanks Swetz!

Around here (48022) JD is most desirable as well - but, as you mentioned, it comes with a higher price. What I've found through my searches in the Michigan thumb area, Iron Planet, Ritchie Bros, etc., is that most of the machines with the equipment I want run in the 18-25K range (4WD, extendahoe, cab, decent tires). Add shipping or trailering and it can get a little pricey. Which is okay to a point. This one as I mentioned, is right down the street and has everything I want. I find it quite ironic that for the length of time I've been looking to finally find one right under under my noseo_O

Is it prefect, absolutely not. One front cylinder is leaking and a few of the hoses will need to be replaced eventually. Front windshield is cracked and the seat needs to be recovered. Tires are decent. Controls aren't sloppy. Newer battery, alternator and starter -- All-in-all it seems to be a pretty decent machine.

Fortunately, I can turn a wrench and am not afraid to do so -- it's the only way I can afford to go and it is half the fun of owning a piece of equipment like a hoe or tractor, car or truck ;)

I can get it for 16K and drive it home....all I need is get the approval from the CFO (that's proving to be more difficult than I thought:D

I do have a contact who appraises construction machinery and comes highly recommended. He'll charge $100-200 to inspect it and well worth the added expense.

I agree 100% with what Swetz said and he beat me to the punch. The S/N isn’t a VIN like a car, at least on this machine. Your S/N is about 13000 away from mine so id say it was a 555e, but could be wrong. Look over the machine. 99% of it is identifiable if you know much about backhoes which it seems like you do.

I got super lucky and bought my machine with 3900 hrs for around 13.5k back in 2019. I think I got it so cheap bc the owner thought there were issues with it but we knew better. I’ve probably put about 3k in it since with hose changes, fluid changes, 3 new tires, and so on. But overall the machine has probably saved me thousands of dollars just in rental costs so far.

Long story short, if it has options you want and it looks good, buy it. I looked for 2 years for a machine before I bought it. It had everything I wanted except for the extenda boom and hydraulic thumb. But I made my own manual thumb and can live without the extenda boom (although it would be nice at times).

You are lucky that the machine is a few miles down the road. This gives you the opportunity to look at it, run it for 30 minutes and get it hot. Lift it up in the stabilizers and lift the front end with the bucket. Run through the gears, forward and reverse, 4x4, etc. Again make sure it’s hot!!! A lot of things change when it’s working for a while.

cosmaar1

Hey thanks Swetz!

If you end up buying it, PM me your email address. I will send you a few things so save you a couple hundred bucks.

rumblecloud

Occupation
I belong to several forums
And you guys are a perfect example of why I love them so much.
I can't tell you how many times I have been helped - and returned the favor when I could.
I'll be around and update my situation.
Thank you.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Your serial number is lower than mine and according to the guy I emailed at Alma Tractor in Arkansas mine was built April 16, 1998 and went in service on January 4, 1999.

I think any New Holland Dealer can access that info with your serial number. The guy I emailed at Alma Tractor was awesome. You could try calling their parts department and ask? 479.632.6300

rumblecloud

Occupation
There's a local NH dealer here I can try. I also emailed Messick's yesterday so hopefully I'll get a response in a day or two.
Thanks for the info.

rumblecloud

Occupation
Well... this ship sailed and unfortunately I was not on it.
The CFO of my company (read: the wife) couldn't wrap her head around the idea of spending 16K on a backhoe and it was sold yesterday.
Needless to say I am EXTREMELY disappointed.
So the search continues.