• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new gas cans...

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
Last summer when I was driving from the lower 48 to get home I bought a "just in case" 5 gal gas can. After filling it I did not pay much attention to it and did not need to do an emergency fuel stop. When I got to a friends house in AK I decided to dump the gas in the car since AK gas there was about $2/gal more than down south. I ended up spilling more on the side of the car and the ground than the few drops that made the tank. It turns out that the fancy nozzles do not fit all vehicles. In end, I gave the remaining 3 gal of gas and the jug to my friend and called it good riddance. To hell with the do-gooders with their purpose in life to protect me from myself.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
And there it is in a nutshell. If you take time to keep up on all the regulations you are out of business because you had no time left to run your business.
Before I retired a year ago I spent many hours each week trying to understand OSHA rules. The company I managed work for spared no expense in purchasing any safety equipment we needed or thought we did. We received the yearly safest contractor awards in MN, WI, CO, and CA in different years but it was not easy nor cheap. I truely think OSHA does a good job and also DOT does to for the most part but they get wound up on non issues. We may not need a new law when only one in a million get hurt with something. On some of these the cures cause more injuries than the original "problem" did. And a envirionmental can does not make it safe and if it spills trying to make it work its not helping. Them metal safety spring loaded cans are not easy to fill or pour either. Plenty gets spilled doing both. OK, off the soapbox.

Actually I think OSHA goes a bit overboard on some things. Some of the safety shields are there to prevent injury. Well a lot of those shields are there because someone making a repair of an adjustment got injured. Bet you money of some of them that the accident rate hasn't gone down because the operator or mechanic has to remove that shield to work on it anyway and when operating no one is going to stick their hand in there. Just like the people making the EPA rules. You should meet one in person. Bet they don't own any small engines so they have no idea just how much fuel is spilled because of these new cans. They either pay someone to mow for them or they use a "green" electric mower. If they own a boat it's in a marina with a gas pump on the dock or it's powered by "green" paddles or oars. Most likely drive electric cars too. They are fanatics. One that I know, now retired from the EPA told me a couple of years ago that "we may have to eliminate some human life to protect the environment"! When I suggest that he volunteer to be first he told me that wouldn't work because we would need people like him to insure that human life was eliminated.

OK< Rant over.

Rick