• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new gas cans...

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
As I was looking through the site trailer today I found a 1 gallon old school can, with a vent!:thumbsup Willie this one ain't goin' on no Ebay.:tong

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
As I was looking through the site trailer today I found a 1 gallon old school can, with a vent!:thumbsup Willie this one ain't goin' on no Ebay.:tong

I hear ya, I have a number of old cans from 1 gal to 5 gal, all good cans with vents. Given the EPA has put the screws to us, ain't no way I'd sell those cans. ;)

I did see a single one gal plastic can on Ebay, just like the one I've used for a water container to wash my hands for over 25 years. The vent cap is missing on mine and I has a crack in the top (mended with RTV). I'd love to buy that same can on Ebay, in excellent condition...but they want 23 dollars for that one gallon can. :Banghead

lantraxco

No offense to anybody, but common sense and the plainly written instructions on the label of these cans tell you to place the can fully upright, unlock the safety latch and DEPRESS THE VALVE LEVER to release any pressure before dispensing any fuel from the container. It is an EPA emissions deal to contain the vapors, but it also preserves this new lousy gasoline they make with propane, butane, etc. chemically bonded into it. Just like every car built since the first "gas shortage" has a non vented cap to keep the gas from turning into vapor and exiting your vehicle in an explosive form. Same reason we have to use a stabilizer in mowers and such with vented fuel caps. I still have some steel jeep cans around here, if you overfill them and are not careful you're going to get a shower due to the vent hole being under the screw in cap gasket. They do build pressure! Nuff typing, I'm done rambling. Cheers, Lanway

Randy88

I would think the only time liability would come into play would be if you planned on selling the altered cans, for your own use, it would be no different than repairing or welding or altering anything on any machine you own, you do it at your own risk.

As for the EPA regulating gas cans and the new one's being totally worthless, just how much longer will it be, any gas can will to allowed to be sold or used, isn't the next step to ban pumping gas into anything but the end user product?

Now me personally, I like to use the 2.5 gallon no glug chemical jugs as gas cans, but keep them off the service truck so the dot doesn't fine me for unapproved containers.

Lantraxco, I was thinking all gas tanks have vented caps on them, the newer cars even have to have a certain amount of clicks in order for the car to start, one too many clicks and it won't start, same as one too little, its still vented.

Tinkerer

Now me personally, I like to use the 2.5 gallon no glug chemical jugs as gas cans, but keep them off the service truck so the dot doesn't fine me for unapproved containers.
Randy: There are 7 gallon jugs available. Transparent so you can see how much is in it. Kinda pricey tho. Seems strange they are available with OSHA everywhere . Just Google -- Jaz 7 Gallon No Glug Jug .

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Metal cans ain't any better. I saw a guy sprayed in the face with one of those years ago before any of these new plastic can where being made. We can't have a plastic can on most the site we are on even if its not being use.

Tinkerer

I also was sprayed a couple of years ago, but the can was still on the ground. The can didn't have any warnings on the outside about relieving pressure. I learned real fast after my bath about tilting the can and letting out the built up pressure ! It used to be really irritating to get splashed if I tipped the full can too far and it chuged for air. I purchased those yellow plastic vents on Ebay. They are awesome ! For me a can with a properly used vent is safer than a non-vented can.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . I don't quite understand this thread. You fellers are saying the EPA has enforced a rule that cans must be unvented????

It is not as though this is a new concept, there are a few cans here . . . http://militarymashup.com/search/jerry can

I thought fuel cans were always unvented . . . you wouldn't want vented cans if you are carrying them in an aircraft for instance

I have two metal ex military "jerry cans" I bought from disposals about forty years ago . . . they don't have vents and yes they build up pressure and always was it so, just come off the cam real easy . . . I believe British Commonwealth cam-close style to be far superior to the US version.

I like the note that just one outfit in Italy was filling twenty thousand cans a day.

I might add it always used to be the thing in the bush that you never pour petrol (gasoline) and to this day I fuel out of cans with a syphon hose.

Cheers.

Last edited:

wilko

....... Get you one of those Shribner racing fuel cans with the vent and fill hose, you'll be much happier. :)

These, no two ways about it. If you're fueling up a machine using a (big) funnel these will cut your fueling time in half, or better.

busdrivernine

Y'all be careful out there when your working with these new gas cans...

Was fueling up my chainsaw on the tailgate and just flipped the jug over and tried to fill the saw. The tank had pressurized due to being almost empty and being in the truck bed on a sunny day. I barely cracked the valve and was immediately hit in the face by gasoline. Thankfully I'm a non smoker and wear glasses, so I didn't get it too bad, but I did get some in my eye and all over my face and chest.

What happened to the old steel cans with the rubber hose and plug... That's the can style that almost got me!
Old stuff still bete and user friendly

Randy88

You know while reading this thread, I'm thinking there is no good gas can out there worth having, they all have problems of some sort, so I got to thinking, we need to covert everything over to diesels, use less fuel, run out half as often, so immediately have half the need for fuel cans, diesel isn't as volitle as gasoline and finally I can have a small engine that starts, so how about it, anyone seeing a downside to my idea other than price.

As for some of the older metal gas cans, I threw a bunch away, they are prone to rusting and we had problems with plugged filters after using them, that and over time they leaked.

JDOFMEMI

I have a plastic 5 gallon, and when I looked at it in the middle of the day yesterday, at about 110+ degrees, it was round like a beach ball. Looked plenty scary. I seen it this morning, when it was still cool out and it was shriveled up like dehydrated fruit. I should have grabbed a picture, but had better things to do.

I sure do miss the vented cans.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've had some old style plastic cans that the nozzles had dry rotted, but I couldn't bring myself to throw out a perfectly good can. Replacement nozzles weren't available, the new style cans have a different thread on the fill port. I came across this replacement nozzle and bought a couple at Tractor Supply. They have two threaded collars, one old style and one new so they work on either style can, plus it includes a "replacement vent" for a 1/2" hole. :wink2 I'll be getting a few more kits to upgrade my remaining cans.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's neat Steve, gonna have to make a trip to my local Tractor Supply and see if they stock those spouts. :)

FMD

Y'all be careful out there when your working with these new gas cans...

Was fueling up my chainsaw on the tailgate and just flipped the jug over and tried to fill the saw. The tank had pressurized due to being almost empty and being in the truck bed on a sunny day. I barely cracked the valve and was immediately hit in the face by gasoline. Thankfully I'm a non smoker and wear glasses, so I didn't get it too bad, but I did get some in my eye and all over my face and chest.

What happened to the old steel cans with the rubber hose and plug... That's the can style that almost got me!

You should not be

OSHA Standard 29 CFR 1926.152(a)(1) states "Only approved containers and portable tanks shall be used for storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids. Approved safety cans or Department of Transportation approved containers shall be used for the handling and use of flammable liquids in quantities of 5 gallons or less.

Anytime the word "shall" is used in a regulation, it means that this rule is mandatory and must be followed.

What is an approved safety can or DOT gas can?

A safety can is (29CFR1926.155(1) an approved, closed container, of not more than 5 gallons capacity, having a flash arresting screen, spring closing lid and spout cover and so designed that it will safely relieve internal pressure when subjected to fire exposure.

Approval is given by a nationally recognized testing laboratory, for example, Underwriters' Laboratory, Inc.

Gas cans can only display DOT approval markings when they meet stringent Department of Transportation requirements. Here is where it gets confusing, inexpensive plastic gas cans may meet EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) requirements, but they do NOT meet DOT rules. Some gas cans may say they meet CARB spill-proof regulations in certain states or AQMD (Air Quality Management
District) rules. Again, this doesn't help when trying to comply with OSHA. None of these other regulatory agencies are the same as DOT. They are not interchangeable.

If your head isn't already spinning, one last point. If you are looking for a UL "approval", you will see the following words on the product, UL Listed. If your can has a UL Classified marking, this is not the same as UL Listed (approved). If you want more information about UL markings, go to http://************/pxb9dt

Now that you know the correct can to use, shown below are safety rules to follow when using gas cans. This information can be used for this week's tailgate safety

Randy88

FMD, post of picture of what a dot approved gas can looks like for us to see, since every time I"ve been pulled over by the dot, the plastic red gas cans have been fine for them as long as they are less than five gallons and now that you mentioned it they don't have stamped anywhere dot approved? Your http wasn't a valid site when I tried to link on it.

Then post pictures of ul listed cans and ul approved cans so we can see the difference, since I've always been told if they red they are fine to use anywhere.

Last question for this discussion, show us a dot approved container for waste gasoline, so one doens't get good gas and waste gas confused, its been a discussion for a while now, I know its got to do with flash point but can waste gasoline be put in waste oil containers and hauled on a vehicle governed by the dot? Waste oil is not considered hazmat materail due to flash point, or so it was explained, so I can carry far more gallons of waste oil than I can new oil in any container without the plackard, if the question makes sense.

FMD

FMD, post of picture of what a dot approved gas can looks like for us to see, since every time I"ve been pulled over by the dot, the plastic red gas cans have been fine for them as long as they are less than five gallons and now that you mentioned it they don't have stamped anywhere dot approved? Your http wasn't a valid site when I tried to link on it.

Then post pictures of ul listed cans and ul approved cans so we can see the difference, since I've always been told if they red they are fine to use anywhere.

Last question for this discussion, show us a dot approved container for waste gasoline, so one doens't get good gas and waste gas confused, its been a discussion for a while now, I know its got to do with flash point but can waste gasoline be put in waste oil containers and hauled on a vehicle governed by the dot? Waste oil is not considered hazmat materail due to flash point, or so it was explained, so I can carry far more gallons of waste oil than I can new oil in any container without the plackard, if the question makes sense.

Go to the Grainger web site and they have them there. They are metal with self closing lids, arrestor and marked properly.

The waste oil is a tricking one for each state has thier own EPA regulation. Here in Ohio, as long as you keep certain items out of the oil it and you send it out to a authorized company it is a non regulated product. I sell my used oil to Safety Kleen for $1.05 per gallon. Waste gasoline is regulated the same as new gasoline in the EPA and OSHA regulations. Put a secondary label on your approved gas can stating "Used Gasoline" to signify it is used gasoline.

Under NO circumstances should you be mixing gasoline in your waste oil. There are several things done with used oil. Either refining it for fresh oil (they dont want benzene (gasoline) in the oil) and they also burn it in heaters. You DONT want gasoline going into your Reznor heaters. There are several companies out there that purchases used gasoline also for around $1.75 per gallon (depending on the gas prices).

Keep in mind also that the gas cans is a OSHA regulation and DOT can not cite anybody for a OSHA violation as OSHA can not cite someone for a DOT violation. So DOT should not be citing you for a incorrect portable gas can unless it isnt secured properly (then this would be a secured load citation).