• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new gas cans...

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Y'all be careful out there when your working with these new gas cans...

Was fueling up my chainsaw on the tailgate and just flipped the jug over and tried to fill the saw. The tank had pressurized due to being almost empty and being in the truck bed on a sunny day. I barely cracked the valve and was immediately hit in the face by gasoline. Thankfully I'm a non smoker and wear glasses, so I didn't get it too bad, but I did get some in my eye and all over my face and chest.

What happened to the old steel cans with the rubber hose and plug... That's the can style that almost got me!

Attachments

• gas can.jpg
    gas can.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,827

JD955SC

Yeah those stupid new EPA plastic cans always become pressurized bombs when they are left sealed

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I much preferred the gas cans that had a vent on the back of the can at least then you could bleed the pressure off before filling something up.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I can't stand those new fill nozzles on gas cans, worthless as teets on a boar hog. My advice, empty the can, place it in front of the front wheel of your truck and mash it flat as a 'possum on the centerline. Get you one of those Shribner racing fuel cans with the vent and fill hose, you'll be much happier. :)

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I saw a guy on YouTube who drills a half inch hole where the vent used to be and installs a tire valve with the Schrader insert removed. He fished it in place with mechanics wire passed through the hole and out the fill hole and pulled it in place. A valve cap seals it, remove the cap when pouring gas.

leisureexpress

I saw a guy on YouTube who drills a half inch hole where the vent used to be and installs a tire valve with the Schrader insert removed. He fished it in place with mechanics wire passed through the hole and out the fill hole and pulled it in place. A valve cap seals it, remove the cap when pouring gas.

Steve,
I saw that too, great idea. The only way to improve on that is to drill the hole for a valve stem at 29/64" vs the 1/2" that is recommended in his video, otherwise, spot on.

grandpa

And for some reason, the altered gas can cause's a fire,,,,, who's libel? No thanks, I'll pass on that modification. That would make some lawyer's job real easy to win a lawsuit.

I agree with the uselessness of the new can's, BUT !

rust farmer

Those cans are the biggest piece of crap there is on the market. What makes it worse is I bought four of them and filled them right away with out realizing how bad they are to work with. The guy that invented that spout was an idiot.

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
Don't know if they are sold or legal where you are, but here in Texas at Atwood's, they sell a kit with the old accordion looking spout, two neck rings, and a flip vent plug for the backend. Might find one on ebay.

JD955SC

Thats the EPA for you.

Also the Blitz gas can company was forced out of business by idiots suing them after getting burned while pouring gasoline from the can onto the fire

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
The can in the first post is made by Blitz here in Oklahoma but , last I heard they went out of biz due to lawsuits. Me and my useless knowledge could be wrong though. :beatsme

JD955SC

The can in the first post is made by Blitz here in Oklahoma but , last I heard they went out of biz due to lawsuits. Me and my useless knowledge could be wrong though. :beatsme

It was only like last year they got forced out of business.

Personally when buying new Ill buy the eagle metal cans now. Better than the pressurized plastic bombs sold for cheaper...

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Wow, given the new regulations about portable fuel cans, made me curious, looked up "vented gas can" on Ebay (no sense adding a link as it may change), some of the prices for old fuel cans with vents are like they're selling gold. :D

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
grandpa, unless your storing your cans at someone else's property, I don't see how you could be libel for any possible fire, plus I'd expect any evidence would be consumed by said fire.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
I noticed that a 6d or 7d concrete form nail in a hole is a wonderful vent...when the hole gets a little loose, use an 8d. This wear mechanism takes quite a while even with regular usage. That is what the guy said to me. I conclude the cost of the nail is notable, but not intolerable. The concrete form nail has two heads and has nothing to do with what was on hand when this invention was placed in service. Maybe the double head forming nail helps with the grip on sore fingers?

Hey, what do I know: I am thinking the guy simply used the nail to temporarily fix a pinhole leak in a 'injection molding defect' (probably to save the environment from the disgusting nasty fume leak) then someone inadvertently determined said nail could suffice for a vent.

Smashing the can with a grouser is not necessary if you like the concrete form nail solution.

I wonder if filling these cans too much is unwise? keeping them out of sun may also be astute?