• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Fuel Drums

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Got my new fueling station set up and filled. Switched from metal drums behind the generator to plastic in the barn. I will have to carry fuel to the generator but I use most of it in the tractors. Fueling those will be much easier and no more rust. The rust didn't get bad enough to contaminate the fuel but it was starting to form inside the metal drums.

Rainey Cawthon in Tallahassee FL. delivers off road diesel for a little under pump price. The biggest advantage is not having to buy at the pump and transport it.

IMG_20210324_131051643_HDR.jpg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
NH575E,
Looking good! How long will that las you?

I plan to have fuel storage set up once my shop is done, but was thinking about a 275 gallon fuel oil tank. My local oil company will deliver but it has a 150 gallon minimum.

Anyhow, as far as the plastic and the fuel, is there anything that needs to be known...for example, some types of plastic drums will break down with diesel stored in them? I get the plusses of no rust in the fuel for sure.:)

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I generally refill 3 times per year and get about 100 gallons each delivery. My supplier only has a 60 gallon minimum.

I hope these hold up. I bought them from one of the employees at the fuel supplier on their recommendation. They said they had some that had been in use for 3 years with no problems. These had some pretty toxic smelling stuff in them but the labels were gone. What ever it was rinsed out with the pressure washer and the smell was gone after rinsing.

I was surprised that these had one bung with a standard 2" NPT thread and the other bung with the course thread had a punch out with a 3/4" NPT thread. I was able to use the same pickup tube and vent filters I already had. I have my pickup just off the bottom so I have 5 gallons left when the pump won't feed. So far I have never had any water or algae in the remaining 5 gallons. I have been using Killum Biocide but this time I switched to Biobor. Hopefully I will get the same results with it. Both products only call for about an ounce for 60 gallons.

I try to time it so I have the drums and all the equipment full at the beginning of hurricane season just in case. Invariably when we get threatened by a hurricane they will all be near empty. The only time it almost caught me they were able to deliver 2 days after the storm and during a week long power outage. Fortunately my generator sips .7 GPH so I had enough on hand to make it through.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Not sure exactly what plastic my 5 gallon diesel fuel cans are made of, but I have had one over 20 years and it is still solid as new, was just wondering if there was a certain type of plastic drum to stay away from.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
RUG and ULSD fall under packing group II. That means you should look for a plastic HDPE drum with a UN code of X or Y in the 4th digit of the drum code. Avoid Z.

For example:
UN 1H1/Y/1.9/100/07

But, maybe your drums don’t have the UN decal anymore. Then, it’s a crap shoot unless you know what was originally packaged in them.

ianjoub

I cut the top off of those (leaving what would be the 'crimp ring' for an easy edge to grab) and use them for garbage cans. Mine always had oils, grease, brake cleaner, etc. as I had an auto repair shop. Mine are 12 years old and show no signs of degradation. I cleaned them periodically with Purple Power as well.

hosspuller

I guess these drums are made of polyethene. PE is broken down by the UV in sunlight. Keep the drums protected from light. Otherwise they'll get brittle.

56wrench

the most important thing is to filter the fuel as its coming out of any type of storage system as it is being pumped into a machine or vehicle and use the proper type filter, preferably with a water separator

emmett518

Also, if you have diesel delivered, what additives should you mix in? I've heard anti-gel stuff, and anti-algae products.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I've been storing 100 gallons at the time for 6 years. I usually go through 300 gallons per year. I have always pumped with a $65 12v ebay pump and nozzle. I have never filtered or seen the need.

Up until now i have used metal 55 gallons oil drums under a shed. I have air compressor filters on the 3/4" hole to keep them vented. They were forming some surface rust inside but I never saw any evidence it was contaminating the fuel. I figured my luck would run out if I kept filling the metal drums though.

I have always added Killum Biocide in the prescribed amount along with some Stanadyne Lubricity formula. This time I switched to Biobor biocide which says it also adds lubricity but I don't think the lubricity can amount to much in the amount prescribed to keep the algae out. Both the Killum brand and the Biobor only call for about an ounce per 60 gallons.

My pickup tube is off the bottom just enough to leave 5 gallons when it stops pumping. When both drums are empty I tip them and pump the last 5 gallons out to check for water and algae. So far I have found none.

My generator only gets and hour run every month then topped up. It holds 9 gallons and consumes .7 GPH. I am going to pump the fuel out of it next time I need to fill one of the tractors and use it in the tractor so I can put fresh in the generator. I pulled some off the bottom of the generator tank the other day and it was perfectly clear and clean.

I hope to continue having good luck with the plastic drums. They might get a little light on them but it won't be direct. One nice thing is I can see the fuel in them so if it starts to have a problem I hope I catch it before it's a bigun. That same feature may actually cause it to start growing algae since the light can pass inside so I will have to be aware of that possibility and keep a close watch. They may end up getting painted black.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I have some of the Power Service Cetane booster on the shelf I used a couple years ago when it got cold here. We don't get much sub freezing weather and had none this year.

cosmaar1

I have some of the Power Service Cetane booster on the shelf I used a couple years ago when it got cold here. We don't get much sub freezing weather and had none this year.

do you throw any octane booster in?

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
No just algae control and lubricity additive. IF it ever threatens to get cold enough I might use something to combat gelling.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Those plastic drums will grow algae in water at least. I have 11 of them that held pressure washer soap set on their sides in racks holding water for my wife's veggie garden. We fill in the spring when the well has lots of water. They do grow algae in the well water. Real thick algae almost like having seaweed in there. It gets so thick and lumpy it plugs up the 1/2 inch tap and won't let water out.I use the air compressor to churn it and break it so it will come through the tap. Don't know about in fuel but keep a close eye on yours. They also get brittle with age and sun but mine have lasted 20+ years out in the sun and weather year round and i've only lost 2 in that time. I like your setup. Looks good. d.d.

Coaldust

Occupation
Unless you are dealing with water issues from your fuel supplier, I don’t think your drums need biocide.

Regarding a lubricity additive, ask your supplier. They may be already additizing it.

Coaldust

Occupation
I see you are located in North Florida. B5 and B10 is a thing there. That stuff doesn’t store well. I forget about the lower 48’ers dealing with that.

ELI Robert’s & Sons, Edison and Lewis, in your area, appear to offer non-bio diesel blends of ULSD#2. ELI brands it as “premium diesel”, which already has their lubricity additive in it.

Coaldust

Occupation
In a couple weeks, in my AO, Tesoro and Petro Alaska will be switching from ULSD1 to ULSD2. That’s when I know spring is here.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
NH what kind of gravel do you have on your shop floor?