1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

New Ford 4500 Owner

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by AJP, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Lawman

Lawman Member

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it and I'll try to find another bucket.

2. Lawman

Lawman Member

Thanks Mitch, as you can tell, I don't know much about the backhoe or this web site either, but I do appreciate the information.

3. Lawman

Lawman Member

Thanks daman, I'm just learning about the backhoe as well as this website.

4. daman

daman Well-Known Member

Agriculture,Truck Driver,Mechanic
    I believe i have an extra 740 loader service manual someplace I'll see if i can find it.

5. daman

daman Well-Known Member

Sure that's what the site is for learning, asking.

here is another good site for fords/4500 check it out..

http://ytforums.ytmag.com/index.php

6. Lawman

Lawman Member

Daman, just tried to send you a thank you, but don't know where it went. Just don't understand much about this web site yet, but it appears a person can sure get some answers on it.

7. daman

daman Well-Known Member

Did you try a PM? private message? yea i was having trouble getting new posts emailed to me but it started working ha ha, did you try that other link?/ web site.

8. Lawman

Lawman Member

Guess I just don't understand all this yet, but I believe I'm gaining on it. Thanks again.

9. shopteacher 1

shopteacher 1 Well-Known Member

Ok, I am looking at the manuals and am trying to figure out what to buy. I already have a reprint operators manual from Jensales. I want a repair manual but am confused about what to buy.

Do I need separate manuals for the tractor, loader and backhoe? I found a complete reprint on e-bay with a blue binder for $199 that is 1600 pages! will that cover it all?

Let me know what you guys think. I basically want to be able to repair anything on the old girl myself.

Thanks,
    John

10. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

If you get them from Jensales, or from New Holland, you have to buy a tractor manual, and loader and backhoe manuals. The Jensales manual is good, but make sure the tractor manual is the industrial tractor manual, there is a lot of overlap w/ the ag tractor manual, but some things like the torque convertor transmission is not in the ag book.

I have both the ag and industrial books, (ag from Ford, industrial from Jensales), and the tractor books are probably close to1600 pages. If you get the parts book, which is a good idea, it covers both.

Of course I know nothing about the Ebay one.

Good Luck

11. shopteacher 1

shopteacher 1 Well-Known Member

I can not find any markings or serial plate on the hoe to tell me what model it is. I have the loader and the tractor, but not the hoe. Anyone know how to identify the hoe?

12. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

If it is the hoe that is made for that tractor, a 753 is a 13' hoe and a 755 is a 15' depth hoe. They also made an 11' one, which I think is a 751. They should all be covered in the same book. I'm gonna go by the office on the way home, I''ll try to remember to se how many pages the industrial service manuals are.

Btw, the loader on a 4500 should be a 740.

13. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Sorry, the other backhoe is 10' dig depth and is a 750, not a 751.

My industrial tractor book is from Ford- New Holland, and is 5 1/4" thick. It is exactly the same as the ag book, with another 1 1/4" thick section added on, covering several transmissions not offered w/ ag tractors, and the other differences.

I also have the Jensales loader and backhoe books, for some reason, they are about a 1/2" each.

I have bought 8-10 books from Jensales and have been satisfied every time.

14. Lawman

Lawman Member

Thanks for the information Mitch, I purchased the tractor operator's manual and the 755 backhoe operator's manual from Jensales. The Operator's manual for the Ford tractor is about one half inch thick, and the manual for the backhoe only has 26 pages. They each contain some very useful information.

15. davebb

davebb Member

Retired mechanic and operator.
    subscribing. I just got a 66 4500 tlb and want to learn. My first post.

16. Brownie

Brownie Member

Welcome Davebb, Post a few more comments and you can post your own threads. Welcome to the fun of owning a 4500 1966 TLB Ford. I haven't had to much trouble finding parts so far. Had to pull the fuel tank, patch and line it, replace hoses, the usual stuff dealing with old equipment. Next the brakes, but that will be at the shop. To big a job for me dealing with internal breaks.
    I suggest you search the web find the operators manual and shop manuals. They are a must to doing repairs. Enjoy Dave "Brownie" Brown

17. davebb

davebb Member

Thank you for your response Brownie. Sure looks like lots of work to do to get it going. It's been sitting for a long time. When I first got it there was a small tree growing about 5 feet out of the engine compartment. Tree looked like it was growing out of the water pump but upon closer inspection it was just growing around it and I had to chip it out of there. Now I need to start a new thread because I've searched and can't find anything about what looks like grease in the hydraulic tank and no fluid in there. I think the fluid drained into the crankcase, it's way over full, and left behind this greasy looking stuff clogging the filter.
    Dave.

18. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Unless it has a three point hitch, w/ a pump mounted on the bellhousing, there is no connection for hyd. oil to get into the crankcase.

19. davebb

davebb Member

Thank you mitch504 for your reply. I think the oil may have entered the crankcase through the steering pump mounted to the timing gear cover. It's reservoir is the same as the pump mounted in front of the engine. It's been sitting for a very long time so a slow leak around the pump shaft seal could have emptied the reservoir.

20. Cindyyar

Cindyyar New Member

Hi,
    I'm new to this site. You seem to be very knowleable about Ford backhoes. I have a Ford 4500 backhoe. Not sure of the year, but I have model#'s and engine #'s if I may ask you a few questions?

Backhoe has been sitting for a couple of years, we are working on it again. Replace the starter/selonoid and it turns over but will not start. We have an electric pump pumping fuel through it, have tried the ether, but it will not start. Any ideas?

Also, if I give you the #'s that I have will you see if you have a service manual for my backhoe.

Model # C5011P
    Engine# 2A27B
    Trans# 2A19B
    Ford 4500

That is all the information I can find about the backhoe.
    Also, I am not sure how this thread works if you respond to my reply.....Could you also email me directly at:
    cindyyar1213@aol.com if you have any information.

Thank you so much for your help.
    Cindy