• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New ELD laws

PJ The Kid

Occupation
Mechanic
Just looking for some clear info on the new ELD stuff they are putting in place. I have heard alot about it and don't know what all is true.

Crummy

What specifically is your question?
The FMCSA website has a pretty good FAQ page for general questions.

PJ The Kid

Occupation
Mechanic
Looking to see how it will effect people in 1 ton type trucks hauling horses and cattle. From what I have been able to gather the "private no for hire"badges don't matter anymore. They are saying (and I was unable to find anything on the fmcsa site) that any time you are hauling live stock for profit you can be fined for not having DOT and ELD and that you will need a cdl.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
There are exceptions to the ELD rule. Read up on them. Unless you're trucking day in day out and exceeding a 100 mile radius from home you won't need one.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
And that is 100 AIR miles(nautical), straight line from base so long as you 'Time Card' your time in the machine and have it with you if stopped or questioned. Is also a 150 air mile rule that goes with that.

PJ The Kid

Occupation
Mechanic
See, thats where I will get in trouble. I will be traveling all over the midwest and sometimes beyond for events.

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
My wife barrel races and told me there's been quite a lot of discussion on it on facebook. Type in eld laws there and you'll find a bunch of discussion. She has a CDL and we do have a DOT#, but I haven't looked at it much since she's just competing locally.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If moving interstate you fall into gray areas unless you do not exceed the 150 air miles, do that and get into a DOT inspection you may come up lame.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If you don't leave the radius more than 8 out of 30 days you're exempt. Motor 99 or older exempt. Honestly they're not THAT bad. They're going to slowly eliminate all of the little loopholes people use one way or another. Pay to play.

Truck Shop

The only two that were exempt were livestock haulers and apiaries-bee haulers. But very few DOT people ever stop a bee wagon anyway,live hives or not:D.

Truck Shop

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I was kinda hoping this whole ELD business would be the 'straw that broke the camel's back' so to speak and everyone would just park them for a week or two. I realize that is just a pipe dream that will probably never happen. It just seems like the trucking industry can never get a break. IT seems like the trucking industry is just a big pissen post for new rules and regulations. God only knows what the govt will come up with next !!!!!

Crummy

Rules, rules, rules. Thanks for reminding my why I got out of that business. Try 48 state OS/OW, I've got 3-ring binders full of info & provision sheets. It's not the ELD's IMO, it's the Hours of Service regs. I was jawing with a CVEO during an inspection & innocently told him I'd been working on the truck in the shop the night before getting it ready for the trip and got a warning for not logging the time line 4. How's that going to work with the ELD? That 14 hour clock starting & not stopping is the killer.

But I digress

Registered commercial vehicle operators need the ELD when over the thresholds, but privately registered? I know California has a noncommercial A license for trailers over 15k not used for hire, so it stands to reason under that doesn't need either commercial or noncommercial endorsement thus no ELD. Then there's the Operating Authority to confuse things a little more. If you are required to have a ELD, CDL, DOT# a lot of livestock is an exempt commodity and you don't need operating authority (4H exhibit animals, riding horses) but show & rodeo animals need an MC#.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Try working Nuke power gen. I did for 22 years. Rules for us WAS 16in 24, 24 in 48, 72 in 7 days. That all changed with the latest arrangements. Our big change was minimum Days Off, had to make a certain amount of Off time every 6 weeks, rolling schedule on 12 hour shifts, they tweaked that with STP or Shift Turnover Pay and discrete hours of 'Not Working' for that but every company out there tried pushing the chalk line out each year.

farmboy555

Occupation
Owner Operator
If you haul across state lines, log more than 8 days a month your required to have an ELD device

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
The ELD laws were written, in part, to regulate the grey area people. If your truck has a gvwr over 10,001 you gotta have them. Not if you weigh over that, simply the gvwr will get you there. If the combo of a pickup and trailer gvwr's exceed 10,001 then you need them. That's assuming you leave the radius, run more than 8 days or have a 2000 or newer engine.

It bs, but again having done all the legwork for our fleet I can say it's not as bad as it sounds.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
OK, I am going against the grain here: I have been around peripherally, (I prep the loads) heavy specialized loads for about 10 years now. We interface with the trucking industry. About two years ago when the talk really started in earnest, I asked a fellow how he felt about ELDs. He owns two trucks and hires 7-8 more trucks depending on the contract load needs and demands. He said that he got on board with ELDs as soon as they came out, he would not hire a truck without ELDs. They actually make better money for him and the contract drivers he uses. He gets more actual miles, no logbook infractions and DOT smiles benignly on him when they see him. Most of his work is in the midwest and west coast. Now, this may be an isolated case, but with all the double booking that goes on and gets caught, I would think honest drivers would prefer the level playing field.

It is the DOT cameras that get most people, they feed into a computer and within 2 minutes a scale can reel you in for a violation. I got reeled in driving a log truck part time, for out of date license tabs (by one day.) I got a finger wagging and while I was calling the boss to find out where the tabs were, the scale lady told me they had been bought, so get them on! DOT never caused me any fear, I tried to run right and when they did reel me in I had it coming, but I never had any real major violations, so it was always a finger wagging.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I will admit having been a Funny Paper illustrator in the 80's. Dropped many a logbook into a burn barrel on a jobsite so it could not come back to haunt me while the company we hauled for seemed to Not Care. At one point of one month I looked in my bunk to see 9 partial log books(Funny Papers). Ended up a full day trying to sort it all back to some semblance of reality and took three days off to catch up. In all actuality gained us very little in the long run.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've been out of a service truck for some years now but I'm wondering about the rules on the wrenches and the huge trucks most are driving now. When I was working for the dealers in the field it was pretty common to be jumping job to job on a trap line for five or six days in a row. I might drive 300 miles in a week and 50 hours work weeks were normal with occasional 70s. In addition to that about every other month would be a flight to Southeast Alaska for a different trap line on the panhandle. So how would this type of scheduling for mechanics be affected if the truck weighed in at say 26,500 pounds? Would it be completely different at 15,000 pounds in a Super Duty?