• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New ELD laws

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Nope, either truck would be subject to same rules. The example you use would be legal per hours of service regs. Close but doable. There are allowances for "personal conveyance" as well. Again, if it's within the air radius of main shop then it could potentially be ELD exempt. In a way it's no different than paper logs, you can manipulate the hours especially when truck isn't physically moving.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
OK so if I stayed inside state lines and didn't drive past a certain amount of miles from home base then I likely wouldn't need the ELD? Also if I drove to a site, parked the truck and worked there for a week then I wouldn't be subject to the rules?

mitch504

The rule, and most CMV rules, starts at 10,001 pounds gross vehicle weight rating. I think most, but by no means all, mechanics would fall under an exemption.

Oops, junkyard posted first.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Not seen a Mechanic Exemption, commercial truck, commercial license, CDL in driver's possession all strikes as to exempted. Only time not on the ELD would be bending wrenches.

Energy Companies are playing with 'Unwritten Clauses' where the field personnel are NOT using the truck in truck service but to drive point A to B(conveyance), then they have a problem when the first piece of anything is laden in the bed, tools, parts, debris then becomes a CDL qualified. Had the argument as to my having a CDL years past, they stated I did not NEED one as NOT hauling anything, then the brown shirts noted Commercial Plates, Corporate name on door, weight rated truck licensed truck not car two plant operators got tickets AND points on license which the company WOULD NOT PAY FOR. They opted to drop us into small machines then whined as we could not haul anything we needed to, they stated WE needed to Know the law and applicability as well were responsible not themselves and left it as that.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have to fall back to it is a CDL, with a weight rated truck and the laws do not discriminate or exempt for wrenching. The moron linemen I worked with two and a half decades ago had the mentality if the got a DUI/DWI/Points ticket while driving a Car it would NOT affect their Truck License, boy were they wrong. Unless is in specific written guidelines as an exemption it is NOT exempt.

cw4Bray

I'm in a grey area, it scares me because of the different jurisdictions I travel through. Some LE may interpret the law differently than the others. IF, I could see some consistency between agencies I'd feel much better. My truck has a GVWR of 33,000 Lb. and the trailer is just over 10,000 Lb.. Combined is over 26,000. Lb. I have a CDL. I don't have a DOT number; it's not required by my state law. Truck and trailer are not licensed commercial and not required by State law. The personal vehicle truck license and registration is current. I have requisite liability insurance. I'm not involved in any commerce, I'm not in business and I don't work for anyone. I can't do IFTA because I don't have a company; a catch 22. I hope LE is satisfied with recent in-State fuel receipts. So what do you think ? Does "Personal conveyance" fit, or am I stretching the ELD exemptions ? I can't get anyone at DOT or FMCSA to answer this question, I've tried. So, what do you think ?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If you don't leave your home state you don't need IFTA. Good luck finding any sort of consistency. ELD is a federal law enforced by state agencies trained to do so. The burden will be on you to prove to them you're not "for hire" should you be stopped. Beyond the gross weight there are other exemptions to ELD, age of engine (1999 and older are exempt) , 8 out of 30 days outside the 100 mile air radius from home.

Personal conveyance is simply a way for a vehicle using an ELD to also be used as personal transportation "off the clock" for lack of a better way to put it.

How far do you travel? Do you leave the state? What do you use the rig for?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Brown shirts(DOT) around here often are less than conservative in rules reads, they tend to take to the extreme those that can generate income. The Regular Law Enforcement boys do not seem to get all too interested in DOT rules except if lighting or obvious faults are noted as they review the machines.

What year is your wagon? Date of build also has some to do with the new rule.

cw4Bray

Here's my load: http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/23817
brochure_splash_79058.jpg

The truck's a 2002 , I'll check the data plate on the Caterpillar, the engine may be a year or two older, wouldn't that be nice? rules rules rules...Far too many rules, and too many people from different backgrounds with bad attitudes interpreting those rules. A - 1/2 ton P/U could pull my boat, but it's so much safer and handles much better with the large truck and air brakes. The emergency battery in the trailer tongue for the electric over hydraulic brakes appears to work for a potential accidental trailer disconnect. Even with the electric brake controller in the truck, electric trailer brakes normally don't get applied equally with the tractor, so having the extra stopping power from the truck's air brakes provides a safety margin. I move cross country with it, that's where IFTA kicks in.
Am I guilty without proof ? .. I don't know how to prove that I don't have a commercial truck. I just wish all branches of LE could apply common sense to "personal conveyance" with consistency. To say that the rule only applies to groceries while "bobtail" and not other personal items is a stretch, or is it ? A new $mall truck that flies under the radar, may avoid fines but would it be cost effective, if I only tow twice a year and don't have other uses for it ?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Pulling a boat for personal use is not a ELD requirement much as use of a Class 7 to pull a RV is not.

Was a time when CO required ALL trucks with trailers to weigh Included RVs that all came to a halt as the snowbirds descended on the state and would choke the entry port stations/scales. They will at times weigh RVs and check license but even with a weight plate should they be over all they can do is issue a ticket and release, been in one of those Elk season three years back.

AllDodge

Have a 38K plate on my 26K dump truck, all private use, no commercial. Real easy to run over 26K hauling rock, even easier when pulling backhoe. Would probably have issue with LEO but don't do much hauling or towing and county farm use. Sure would like air brakes

cw4Bray

Engine data plate says; 2001.. I almost dodged the bullet. It might be time to trade off my truck on a new one, or just part it out.