• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new dumptruck

BIGDAN315

Occupation
Self employed in the excavating buis and have been
Bigdan315

Personally I am partial to the LTL-9000. That was the best riding truck I had ever run. It had a powerfull 550 cat sitting not so quietly under that big 'ole hood with an 8 dbl L for that climbing ability and quick acceleration. I forgot who said they had the TopKick but I do feel your pain on those.

I am looking at a 86 9000 right now with a n14 cummons, tandom dump. Old truck I know but in good condition. any inputs on this truck?

Boophoenix

I'm very pleased with my WS 4964.

It's a 2000 with a 3406E ( 475 hp ) and an 8LL and OX bed. Takes a couple of football feilds to turn it around as I've been in set back axles for nearly a decade. cab could be a bit roomier, but as far as quality I'd not hesitate to look at another.

Bed is still in great shape for a 2000 model truck. It could use a gate some day but still seats up tight enough with maybe a 16th of an inch gap at the worst place.

Duke

I have been happy with my '07 Mack. It has the 405HP ('04 EPA emissions) with Allison 6sp auto, OX demo bed with high lift gate, air lift third axle, pintle hitch with air and electric to the rear. The '07 Mack Granites have 4 more inches of room in the cab - it makes a big difference over the '06 Granite cabs. It handles 25T pretty well and will pull a 55K tag trailer with a 953C on it like it is not back there. It only has 10K miles on it so the jury is still out. Here is a pic.

How do you like that ally 6 speed?

LaLaMan

WHats the difference in truck if you can get the same motor, same rears, same tranny, same suspension? Arent Pete and Kennys almost identical since they are both made by Paccar?

The only diffrent one is the Mack since you can get all Mack parts. And I know alot of the Stars use MBE motors.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
How do you like that ally 6 speed?
The Allision is great for what we do. I have 3 Macks all with Allision's: 1- tri-axle dump and 2- hook lifts in my roll-off company.

When the tri is unloaded you can have some fun at the red light. Light turns green and get heavy into the pedal. The allision is very quick off the line and shifts briskly - you should see the look on some people in the cars around you when a dump truck takes off and leaves them. You gotta have a little fun every now and then.:D

The tri-axle will carry 25 tons with the auto trans very well ( I can carry 25 tons legally on my tri in Alabama). The two hooks rarely see 15 tons of weight - but they really benefit from the auto. It's very easy to position a box with an auto and just generally easier on the driver in urban stop and go traffic. Our drivers really enjoy having the auto at the end of the day.

We have one with 80K miles on it and no problems. Just keep the fluids and filters changed.

Last edited:

Highwood5

T800 vote #6! Have to be careful with a pete as a lot of them were speced with big power and smaller axles for running highway(cows,flatdeck,etc). Find a truck w 44's or 46's and a tranny with a deep first & second gear for vocational use as a good starting point. We have a w900 currently and the guy who mentioned the football field was definetly correct, I think it has a wheel cut of something like 38 degrees, most set back front axle trucks manage 50degrees or better.