1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New dump trailer

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by old-iron-habit, Apr 17, 2017.

1. barnbuilder

barnbuilder Well-Known Member

Nice trailer! Wonder if I can get one down here. Like the Unimog also.

2. farmerlund

farmerlund Senior Member

Farmer/ excavator
    Nice trailer OIH. Any of your buddys ask to barrow it yet? LOL. I have some rocks to haul, will be there by noon to pick it up. :eek:

3. 1965IHdiesel

1965IHdiesel Member

Nice trailer! I like the location of the drop down jacks on the back, looks really thought through, alot better than where their at on our trailer. Also like the location of the stake pockets, nice!

4. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    So far it's working good. Pulled it to Southern California and back a couple weeks ago. Just under 5,000 miles. Brought back a period correct stinger style Go Dog tag axle for my 71 KW, a rare Golden Gate one lunger hit and miss for a friend, a cab for my D4D, and misc. other goodies. Took it out planning to haul back my 1929 Cat 22 but could not make it all fit. I would have been OK weight wise, only grossed 9,400 lbs in the trailer, but not enough room in the box. It pulled nice running 75 and 80 MPH both ways. Headed back out for the Cat and a set of Cat 28 tracks hopefully by the end of the month.

5. old-iron-habit

Come on over. I'll pick you up at the local airport. Our fly in/drive in pancake breakfast is weekend after next. Using my old Fordson Super Major TLB, I cleaned up a barnyard cow pond at my nephews yesterday. After hauling that stinky crap in it, it sure needs a bath now. I had it full of that muck, only hauling a hundred yards. Working up to a heaped load it dumped without hesitation.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    farmerlund likes this.
  6. Mark13

Mark13 Well-Known Member

Nice trailer! What do you think of the 8k axles and 17.5" tires over 7k axles and 16" tires?

7. old-iron-habit

So far I really am satisfied with them. There is a small penalty to pay as the 8,000 lb axles are not available as drop axles so it sets 4" taller to the bed. Noticeable when loading the tractor or skidsteer but no problem loading this far. With the5,000 mile trip heh I d us with 100 degree heat for half the distance home the tires look excellent yet. Time will tell.

8. farmerlund

farmerlund Senior Member

Farmer/ excavator
    Moose lake carlton co. airport? the 17th?

9. Mark13

Mark13 Well-Known Member

I'm looking into conventional skid steer trailers with 8k axles and 17.5's so I was curious what others have to say. How does your trailer stop fully loaded?

10. old-iron-habit

That would be it.

11. old-iron-habit

I was not at rated capacity but with 9,400 gross on the trailer with my control set at 3 the truck slowed like no trailer was behind when coming down the passes in the Rockies. That was one of the points I liked about the 8,000 lb. axles was the bigger brakes. Of course everything is brand new. Time will tell.

12. Onsiteworker

Onsiteworker Member

Well, @old-iron-habit, that looks a well designed one and a heavy duty dump trailer.

13. old-iron-habit

Thought I would post an update on my dump trailer. After using it for 2 years now I am very satisfied with it. I have had it to the west coast 3 times now bringing back two antique Cats, a couple of old large hit and miss engines, and a tractor. It has hauled a couple dozen loads of sand and a heck of a bunch of loads of firewood. My skid steer rides weekly. The ramps are still straight and work great. I have had one load of big 12 ft. logs in it that it would not lift to dump. My friend joking lifted on one corner and surprising enough it started up and kept going. It was that close. The baked on paint is holding up well. Even the floor has held up. I expected some minor floor damage hauling the Cats home from CA but none at all. I do have one small corner weld crack on the left fender as shown in one of todays picture. The only other defect I have noticed is that the LED light in the battery box no longer is lit telling me that the truck is charging it. It is charging as it has remained charged to dump and when I put a meter on it with the truck running the battery shows 13.8 volts. The one thing I would do if I was going to do it over is to buy the factory tarp system. It would be handy at times.

Attached Files:

colson04 likes this.
  14. old-iron-habit

Small issue with dump control this week. While hauling a few loads of black dirt to the SIL and daughters home it started acting up. When I lifted the dump it would start right back down when I released the toggle switch. Then the battery went dead over night. After charging the battery I could lightly hear electrical static noise in the double pole control switch when I used it. I ordered a new one and today I went to replace it. When I took the switch out of the handle I discovered that the wires were frayed just inside where they came out the handle. The down circuit would short across at times lowering the box. It killed the battery holding the solenoid open continuously. Fixed the wires, charged the battery and now have a spare switch the pump/control box. Other than that it has been trouble free.